Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sonic the Hedgehog Appreciation Thread

Ezekiel

Arcane
What genre of music is Sonic CD, and do you know any really good albums like it?

Ezekiel

Arcane
Did anyone here beat all the Blue Sphere levels in Mania? They're far harder than in Sonic 3.

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
What genre of music is Sonic CD, and do you know any really good albums like it?
People say it's new jack swing, but I don't really know any albums of that genre.
Did anyone here beat all the Blue Sphere levels in Mania? They're far harder than in Sonic 3.
I did back in release. I didn't know they were still in the game; I thought they were replaced by the pinball bonus stage in Mania Plus, along with the original Metal Sonic boss fight.

Ash

Arcane
Why do people hate Sonic Spinball I will never understand? the music is epic, the art is some of the best in the series, the gameplay transcends every other pinball game by featuring large, diverse complex levels that blends traditional pinball with sonic abilities and platforming, as well as occasional rooms with a unique gimmick or two. There's even bossfights featuring this pinball/platforming blend. The game is a Sega GOAT.

I am just gonna go with the logical explanation: game is too hardcore and the haters never made it past the first level. It's probably the hardest Sonic game after all.

Last edited:

Alex

Arcane
(...) the art is some of the best in the series, (...)

SpinballShowdownBoss.png

As to why more people didn't like it, I think the reason is simply that it is a pinball game. I have nothing against those (although I am no good at them), but the point is that there are much more platformer fans than pinball fans out there.

Ezekiel

Arcane
I just don't care for pinball games.

The time it takes to get back into Blue Sphere after failing in Sonic Mania is starting to piss me off. Meaning to find another checkpoint. I think I'm gonna just play the Mega Drive Blue Sphere that I never really got into (Sonic 1 cartridge in Sonic and Knuckles cartridge).

Ezekiel

Arcane
Wait, Sonic World just has the same bonus levels from Sonic 3? Lame.

Ezekiel

Arcane
People say it's new jack swing, but I don't really know any albums of that genre.

I know Janet's albums Control and Rhythm Nation 1814. Didn't realize they were the same genre, but kind of, yeah. Will go searching, thanks.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
Why you playing any sonic game released after 1994 bro?

I just don't care for pinball games.
Neither do I. Spinball transcends them, and so it is the only pinball game I like.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Finished all the Blue Spheres in Mania, getting perfect scores in the ones I had left these years later. Hopefully the silver medallions I did years ago were the easy ones and I can just make them all gold. Felt like a boss.

Edit: Yeah, so far I'm breezing through the remaining silvers.

Ezekiel

Arcane
The last one took an hour. I became quite annoyed. Did not want to memorize all the patterns I had already tried.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Have tried a few more new jack swing albums and so far it seems that Janet and her producers were on top with only those two albums.

Knew this sound was too familiar. Produced by Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis, who did some of Janet's songs. I don't like Karyn White, though. The songs I have enjoyed were enjoyable almost completely because of the producers.

Wish that, similar to what synthwave is, artists resurrected this.

Last edited:

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron

This is one of the most autistic videos I've ever sat through and I can't decide if I'm disgusted by or proud of this fat nerd and his cringey rant. I agree with literally everything he said though. SatAM is my favorite Sonic cartoon and it's sad what they did to it with this release. It definitely needs to be on bluray.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Can't watch the video right now, but there's no way in hell a show like that would ever get a Blu-ray. An HD Blu-ray anyway. Best you could hope for is an SD Blu-ray set, like they made for the other Sonic cartoon with Scratch and Grounder. Meaning a ton more episodes packed on the disc because of all the 480i episodes on such large storage. The money just isn't there for an HD restoration.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
That's literally what he's asking for in the video. No one expects a remaster. Just a high bitrate copy on a single disc.

Ezekiel

Arcane
I might regret this, but I ordered that Discotek Blu-ray set of Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog. Had been on my wishlist for well over a year, waited for a deeper price drop, but the fat boy inspired me. We watched it all the time before we immigrated. Don't think it aired for much longer in America after that.

Ezekiel

Arcane
I seriously wonder sometimes if TV shows didn't look better over the air than they do on crammed MPEG-2 DVDs. Digital was touted as being so much better, but look at all that digital noise when zoomed in to normal viewing.

S03-E03-Poke-High-mkv-snapshot-08-37-025.jpg

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I only saw parts of this particular sonic on Saturday when it first aired. The sonic with the robot chicken and chili dogs I saw on an obscure channel on weekdays but only a smattering. I saw that sanitized sonic X on 4kids/fox kids w/e it was.

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
I seriously wonder sometimes if TV shows didn't look better over the air than they do on crammed MPEG-2 DVDs. Digital was touted as being so much better, but look at all that digital noise when zoomed in to normal viewing.
Use retroarch as a video player and emulate a 300-400TVL CRT with a shader. It will look *chef's kiss*. I do it for Laserdisc and DVD anime releases.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Sonic X is ugly. Everything since Sonic Adventure 1 is, except maybe the retro stuff, and even that isn't as good as the old because they make it more cutesy. The anime movie Sonic the Hedgehog and the animations in Sonic CD look stylistically cooler than the retro animations in Sonic Mania. Have no idea why Sega thinks the tall, lanky, long-haired, edgier Sonic looks good.

Tavar

Cipher
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
So, Sonic Superstars was released yesterday. Has anybody checked it out yet? While I love 2D-Sonic, I don't like the plastic look, so I'm not really hyped.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Steam reviews are not good, so it goes to the bottom of the backlog. I still haven't finished the Sonic Frontiers dlc, which is pretty good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom