Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Soulslike games: list + scores

Desman

Educated
Salt and Sanctuary is literally 2D Dark Souls you idiot. I don't see why it would force you to add the other 3. Those are very different.

Actually looking back at the list, S&S copies more from Dark Souls than any other soulslike.
You seem to be the kind of faggot who talk about "roguelites" like if those games are related to actual roguelikes.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Shitposter
Salt and Sanctuary is literally 2D Dark Souls you idiot. I don't see why it would force you to add the other 3. Those are very different.

Actually looking back at the list, S&S copies more from Dark Souls than any other soulslike.
You seem to be the kind of faggot who talk about "roguelites" like if those games are related to actual roguelikes.
And you just seem like a faggot. S&S is Dark Souls translated to 2D, beat for beat. It is Dark Souls.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Black Myth: Wukong should be there as well. Didn't play it, but very similar controls and camera.

Desman

Educated

And you just seem like a faggot. S&S is Dark Souls translated to 2D, beat for beat. It is Dark Souls.
Retard, you just asked in the roguetrader thread if the game is like SM2, you have no fucking clue about video games.

Since I liked Space Marine 2 will I also enjoy this game? How is the shooting and swarm mechanics?

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I'm reluctant to add Salt & Sanctuary, as this would mean I would need to proceed with all other 2D games like:
- Hollow Knight
- Blasphemous 1 & 2
- Bloodstained

And probably many more, no? Or am I missing something?

Unless we have a separate table for 2D titles hmm...
Metroidvanias, among other differences from Soulslikes, contain a large element of platforming, not something found in either Demon's Souls or Dark Souls. :M

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Should add Diablo 2 to the list. Currency drops on death, grimdark setting, stamina bar, and magic is completely overpowered. Obviously a soulslike.

ferratilis

Magister
Both Salt and Sanctuary and Death's Gambit belong on the list, fuck the naysayers. Just because they're wrapped in a 2d metroidvania container doesn't make them any less of a Soulslike. Actually, they're more Soulslike than some of the games on that shitty list. And if you haven't played them because they're 2d, you're a fag. There.

Machocruz

Arcane
Games can only ever ape the mechanics and features -many of which are not unique in themselves- not the ineffable FS qualities that has been in their games for a very long time, regardless of form/genre. KF had it, ST had it, Otogi had it, AC had it. It's a vibe, as the kids say these days.

Nioh 2 is an excellent Action RPG though. Highly recommend.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Both Salt and Sanctuary and Death's Gambit belong on the list, fuck the naysayers.
If a Formula 1 game introduces a mechanics whereby if you crash you have to go back and retrieve your shit, is it suddenly a soulslike?

Sure, there is no god-given definition but there has to be a line. If I look at Hollow Knight or Grime I REALLY don't think "it's just like Demon's Souls!", even if I squint hard.

ferratilis

Magister
If a Formula 1 game introduces a mechanics whereby if you crash you have to go back and retrieve your shit, is it suddenly a soulslike?
See, this is the point. S&S takes all the Dark Souls 1 mechanics and puts them in a 2d metroidvania. It's not only having to retrieve your souls, it's the controls, character building, cryptic storytelling, classes, zones, boss design etc. The biggest criticism on release was that they copied Dark Souls too much, but that's a good point actually. They merged all the good things from DS1 with a metroidvania and the result is amazing.

Now, if someone said Hollow Knight was a soulslike, I'd call it a stretch, but S&S and Death's Gambit definitely fit the bill. The problem is most people here either never played them or outright ignored them because of the presentation style.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Souls-like is such a bastardized term that it means nothing at this point and makes it frustrating to even search for games in this genre. I blame westoid gaming journalists for this retardation. I just saw a guy on Twitter complaining some platformer had just gone "Dark Souls" on his ass because of some mildly challenging jumping section. Anything that requires the slightest amount of effort is "Souls-like" to those fucking morons.

I personally propose we use Souls-clones as this is pretty much what we are actually looking for in threads like this, ain't it?

Now is S&S a Souls-clone? From what i've seen in the foregoing above, it appears that it is (obviously until i play it i cannot know for sure but i'm willing to accept the argument). Now to my view Souls combat does hinge a little bit on the game being 3D, probably because of how it started (with King's Field and the rule Sony had back then that every game on the PS1 had to be 3D, which means FromSoft had to come up with a system that was designed specifically for a 3D space, hence the stamina bar and moving around the hitbox, which laid down the seeds for Souls combat down the line), but, it's not entirely impossible to adapt this system to a 2D space, even if partially, and there's a whole lot more to Souls than just the combat system.

In either case, i restate that Souls-clones is a much more useful term here. Worked for Doom-clones back in the day, didn't it?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom