Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SOVL : Fantasy warhammer - It's Warhammer 6th edition in jank form!

Hell Swarm

Educated
Also played this and it's solid. The systems are all there. But I think what will give this game a good push amongst Warhammer players is some models as opposed to blocks. Give us an army painter and the ability to customize the visuals of the units and a lot of people will come onboard.
Personally I want a game like this but it uses Kings of war style blocks rather than individual models. I also think it could be funny to have 3d models on the base and give them animations when being moved around. Basically toy story is real and your toys come to life when the battle happens but you glued all their feet down so all they can do is boob physiced around and wave their arms menacingly.

This looks cool. I'll have to give it a look. I'm old enough to remember when WFB was this new fangled thing that historical autists said ruined the purity and sanctity of wargaming. There are these absolute mongoloids who believe Wargames should only ever be boring historical games. They held back wargaming for so long it was no wonder that Warhammer came in to sweep everything up into a monopoly. I'm still surprised in a post Magic: Arena, post Roll 20 world that GW still haven't got some digital version of 40k and Shitmar. 3D printing is only going to gain more ground as it gets easier to use. I barely buy any physical minis at all now myself and no one I know at my local club does either. We all 3D print. So it really behooves GW to go Digital. And I think this game proves it can work. It just needs slightly higher production values.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Hoo boy!
SOVLPkDPccXRKL.png

Made a right decision to hold onto my money before going for these events. This one proved the best mount you can get for your Wizard Lord.
SOVLBAfqGCbV5q.jpg

^See that blood spot near my leader? This was used to be an enemy Chaos Lord on a chariot before my Wizard swooped in on his badass Dragon and slapped her with a fireball.:dance:
Direct damage spells hit pretty hard once you get a few level-ups on your spellcaster and Dragon is of great help in avoiding enemy charges so that you can continue shooting your spells left and right.
SOVLyVBCRT41Wf.jpg

Just look at them silly Chaos boys wasting their turns literally chasing the dragon as me and my gunline continue roasting them. Yeah, the AI is not super intelligent.
Only struggled during the final battle where i was outnumbered on a rather narrow map. Should have bought an extra ranged squad or infanty probably instead of a single cavalry unit.
SOVLxiR8EKhF3H.png

Did manage to grind them down until the morale loss kicked in with only my single swordsman squad remaining. My wizard couldn't outrun imperial greatswords and halberds in the end, glorious bastard.

Borelli

Arcane
Vampire is quite killy once you get a bunch of levels and upgrades for her. Can learn some good spells too.
Orc boyfriend and his wyvern she took along for the ride wasn't quite as killy in comparison but he was still useful for his rear charges and occasionally dueling enemy leaders. Died in the final battle but not before claiming the Skaven Warlock's head :salute:.
Melee leaders are more killy than their bodyguard regiments mid to late game, +1 to hit, reroll enemy dmg saves, +attack enhancements etc.
My human knight commander was responsible for 90% kills while his knights were his hp, pretty much every rout test enemy made was at -5.

Feels a bit weird that leader's hp only gets taken into account when 2 leaders duel, if a leader's regiment gets taken out he immediately dies.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Feels a bit weird that leader's hp only gets taken into account when 2 leaders duel, if a leader's regiment gets taken out he immediately dies.
Same if you put your leader on a chariot or triceratops, i noticed. Great mobility at the cost of living in the perpetual fear of being sniped by artillery/archers.

Played a bit more and i still can't exactly figure out a good way to play as Orks. Such a low discipline all across the board.

covr

Prophet
Patron
Played 3 hours today instead of working. Super fun. Now I want more complex version of that game. I will buy some DLC just to support them, skavens are always good to play.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Speaking of DLCs, tried the lizardmen.
SOVLMY7oXmVlcJ.jpg

That was a rather poor positioning on my part to get my lord caught in melee like this but my Newt Priest actually managed to take down the dwarven lord with him(with the help of a few buffing spells) while my triceratops held long enough for my saurus warriors to turn around and rear charge them. Can't stress just how much of a boon the divine favour event is.
Lizards are fairly solid having access to both easily replenishable skinks newts and some good melee hard hitters like saurus saurian warriors or kroxigors crocolisks. Dirstract them and take a few cheap shots with your small lizards while your big lizards are doing all the hard work and rear charge people with pterodactyls, hope i understood the lizardmen correctly.

Got my fill of the game for now, will play it again later after a few more updates.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
AI art was a blessing for indie devs.
It does the job but it is not great. Looks a bit cartoony and as someone already said like something from warcraft.
But you should compare it to the programmer art we would have got otherwise, not to an expensive talented illustrator that would have been out of scope for the project. It is not great indeed, but for portrait/units illustrations, it gets the job done.

sser

Arcane
Developer
It's usual AI art which is incoherent and without any sense of style or consistency, but it's serviceable. For free content I'm not really bothered by it as a starter, though if he makes dosh off the DLC I'd personally like to see actual art put in there.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
It’d be cool if the game offered mod support, so that there’d be a chance of a stylistic overhaul, though that would probably undermine his income from DLC races.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
I kinda enjoy it so far cool but i really dislike that you can't target units with ranged weapons when they are engaged in melee.
What I dislike is not having at least a single shot of ranged units before getting charged in melee. Range seems underwhelming for sure. However, the melee and ranged skill being the same makes archers pretty good at melee as long as they are also equipped for it.
It is pretty solid, but I prefer the FoG2 system, as this one ends in mutual annihilation a lot (like the miniature game it is based on!).

Last edited:

Johannes

Arcane
In one off battles ranged might be balanced, but in the campaign they're OP, they benefit from levelups alot more than melee troops

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
In one off battles ranged might be balanced, but in the campaign they're OP, they benefit from levelups alot more than melee troops
Rerolling 1s on a good archer unit is ridiculous.
Right, rerolling 1s or armor on ranged hit given/taken are huge.
Lucky upgrades can make some units much better than other. I got armor rerolls on knights, and they end up being the sole survivors in every tough mission.

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Ranged units (and especially war engines such as mortars) are also really good at taking out monstrous creatures/chariots/commanders on mouts. It is fairly easy to take out or at least seriously fuck up even things with 8 wounds in a single shooting attack, especially when you cast Hex of Ruin on target before you start shooting.

Borelli

Arcane
Does anyone else feel that elite units are a bit underwhelming? Like orc brutes, sure they are strong but only 10 in a unit, even if they win against a single regiment there won't be enough of them for the next fight.
Due to stats giving diminishing returns i feel that 30 goblins are more useful than 10 orc brutes.
Elf rangers have good skill and dualwield, but there is only 5 of them, they will die to anything in melee.

The only elites that are truly scary are elven swordmasters because of reroll to hit.

Johannes

Arcane
Rerolling 1s on a good archer unit is ridiculous.
Right, rerolling 1s or armor on ranged hit given/taken are huge.
Lucky upgrades can make some units much better than other. I got armor rerolls on knights, and they end up being the sole survivors in every tough mission.
Thats not a levelup though, but a special event. Those can keep melee units scaling through the campaign, but it's just for 1 unit.

Johannes

Arcane
Does anyone else feel that elite units are a bit underwhelming? Like orc brutes, sure they are strong but only 10 in a unit, even if they win against a single regiment there won't be enough of them for the next fight.
Due to stats giving diminishing returns i feel that 30 goblins are more useful than 10 orc brutes.
Elf rangers have good skill and dualwield, but there is only 5 of them, they will die to anything in melee.

The only elites that are truly scary are elven swordmasters because of reroll to hit.
Swordmasters look lame to me, basic infantry is underwhelming, ranged or fast units are where it's at.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
All this talk about ranged reminded me that I found chariot to be the worst mount you could possible get for your hero due how fragile this damn thing is. It will crush and burn long before your chaos champion with 7 attacks, high skill and +hit with re-rolls will manage to do any real damage.
Dragon and triceratops are great on the other hand, absolutely worth their weight in gold.

Swordmasters slap but are deceptively fragile in my experience. Gotta be a bit careful with their positioning.
Don't own the wood elf DLC but after fighting them i can say that their dancers are even more deadly thanks to being equipped with two weapons. More fragile too however.
Good luck trying to kill or rout a unit of dwarven deep guard. Arguably the tankiest motherfuckers in this game.
Saurian warriors are a great value for their cost but not the strongest. Kroxigors are simply great all around, extra bonus points for not routing after stabbing a single toe like trolls.
Abbysal warrior bois, now we're talking! You can fully expect them to never die if you manage to get that armor re-roll boon from event. Terrible replenishment rate tho even with upgrades.

Last edited:

Hell Swarm

Educated
Just got my shit kicked in on the final battle against Chaos. Didn't have a way to chew through defense 2 and 3 saves. Abyssal knights are insanely tanky but I had some amazing spear elves. They held out for 5 turns against a unit of 20 Beastmen and a dragon in the flank. They were grinding away and keeping it about even but I put my leader too far forward and lost magic support that would have won them the combat and let me push back.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
I got longbows on my Elves infantry in campaign. Can any other unit get that too? That was a gamechanger.
You are right that ranged units can get quite broken in the campaign. The hybrids are oarticularly strong here, with Elven city guards having options to get heavy armor on top of it (and banner of mist I think?).
What happens in the event where you lose one unit in the wood? You get them back in another way if you wait, but what if you don't? It is just lost?
Is it worth taking the +50% replenishment rate?

Hell Swarm

Educated
I got longbows on my Elves infantry in campaign. Can any other unit get that too? That was a gamechanger.
Have you run into a wood elf fight yet? 3 units of archers can delete one of your units a turn no problem. It's fucking brutal if you don't have a way to fight back. I was playing humans with a dorf cannon and a city guard elf unit allied in and they did so much damage it was impossible to win the next battle. Undead grinding down my already weakened units fucking sucked.

Chariots need a buff. I'm thinking 5-6 wounds would be a good place for them. It's too easy to do 4 wounds on them with a single cannon or decent ranged unit. Either 5 or 6 would push them just over the safety threshhold so they're not killed by a stiff wind.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom