Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SoZ Preview at IGN

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Erebus said:
Demnogonis Saastuttaja said:
And the most important question, can you join Shadow Thieves?

Nah, the most important question about SoZ is...

...do we get to meet Drizzt ? And Elminster ? The Seven Sisters, maybe ? Oooh, what about Shandril Shessair ? Cadderly ? Jarlaxle ? Anybody ever invented by Ed Greenwood or R. A. Salvatore, in fact ? I'm just dying to know.

I endorse this question.

(I see you've read those books too.)

Erebus

Arcane
Lesifoere said:
(I see you've read those books too.)

The extremely butchered french versions, to be precise. They sometimes had more than 30 % of the original content missing, but enough was left for me to appreciate the merits of the FR munchkins.

...But I admit I enjoyed the D&D novels when I was 16-18. It wasn't even a guilty pleasure, I actually found them to be fun. Well, except for the Icewind Dale trilogy and the books about Shandril Shessair. There are limits, even for the tasteless teen I used to be.

inwoker

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Uh, you need to have really twisted mind to be able to read Salvatore and Greenwood. And more than one book of each I assume.

Radisshu

Prophet
I read the drow trilogy when I was about 15. I thought it was kind of crap.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Funny thing is, I don't care at all about SoZ previews.

Because I'll buy it anyway. MotB has already made a strong argument for buying SoZ. I was already sold after reading the press release.

I don't really need to know anything else, because I am already certain about buying the game. I don't care about info regarding the game, because I am going to find out when I play it anyway,

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
inwoker said:
Uh, you need to have really twisted mind to be able to read Salvatore and Greenwood. And more than one book of each I assume.
Word. Salvatore is unbelievable shit.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
inwoker said:
Oh, if some of you know russian you need to try Perumov. Salvatore is kinda awesome in comparison.
Elaborate. This intrigues me, even though I don't speak Russian yet.

Seboss

Liturgist
Vaarna_Aarne said:
inwoker said:
Ah it's ok for teenagers. Once you read anything from Weis/Hickman you can't go back though.

inwoker

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Well. It's the most generic fantasy to actually exist. It's poorly written. Elves, ancient prophecy, chosen one and other cliche are involved. Successful book series consists of kinda lot of volumes. Like fifteen. Each of them is Tolkien-trilogy long. Wordiness is truly epic.

edit: Is Weis/ Hickman worth reading? Heard a lot, but never tried.

Seboss said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:
inwoker said:
Ah it's ok for teenagers. Once you read anything from Weis/Hickman you can't go back though.

Man, oh man! Once in a while, you get something really, really good off these forums, and this--calling out Dragonlance as the pinnacle of fantasy fiction and, by implication, suitable to someone older than a teenager--is just perfect.

"As a young man, I loved Salvatore, but now that I am grown older and wiser, I have learned that Weis and Hickman are the best. Perhaps, in my dotage, I will realize the sublimity of Jordan, and, on my deathbed, the sweet mysteries of the Sword of Truth. . . ."

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I am curious what the Codex would consider 'good' fantasy writing.

Disconnected

Scholar
Xor said:
Steven Erikson & Glen Cook spring to mind. Larry Niven too, though for whatever reason, half of his fantasy stories are about as terrible as fantasy gets.

Solohk

Scholar
Xor said:

I haven't read much fantasy (or sci-fi), but I'm currently reading (and greatly enjoying) Scott R. Bakker's Prince of Nothing series. I also read the first book in Stephen Donaldson's Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever series and enjoyed that as well, and I'm sure the Codex would love a fantasy book with a rape scene. Tastefully done of course.

If you allow Sci-Fi as well, then I'll say Dune is amazing. I also liked Hyperion and Fall of Hyperion by Dan Simmons, Ringworld by Larry Niven, and The Mote In God's Eye by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, and of course the Foundation books by Aasimov.

Disconnected

Scholar
Dan Simmons, really? Not that I don't think he's a good author, but his SF every bit as stupid as Salvatore's D&D shit.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Dan Simmons is guilty of putting several paragraphs into The Fall of Hyperion that can be summarized thus: "LOVE HOLDS THE UNIVERSE TOGETHER." :/ No, seriously. Love is a greater force than gravity or electromagnetism in his universe. Love triumphs over all. I couldn't facepalm enough when I came to that part, even though I liked the rest okay.

I consider the following to be pretty good fantasy writers: GRRM, China Mieville, Roger Zelazny, Jeff Vandermeer. Your mileage may vary, and all that. Oh, Jack Vance is also decent, if very very quaint. I don't consider Tolkien a good fantasy author, or otherwise a good author of fiction.

Solohk

Scholar
Yeah, there were some things here and there that I thought were a little silly in Hyperion/Fall of Hyperion such as Kassad's story (which I think was made up for by the Priest's story), but on the whole enjoyed them.

Speaking of China Mieville, I just picked up Perdido Street Station and plan on reading it after I finish the Prince of Nothing. Sounds very interesting.

Disconnected

Scholar
Solohk said:
Yeah, there were some things here and there that I thought were a little silly in Hyperion/Fall of Hyperion such as Kassad's story (which I think was made up for by the Priest's story), but on the whole enjoyed them.
Lesifoere answered for me, though I'll add that being an evangelical Christian hippy seems to be a prerequisite for not throwing up periodically when reading his SF (there's more than just the Hyperion series and it's not the worst of it either). His horror is very, very good though. If you like Simmons, that's what you should be reading.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom