Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Space Rangers 2 cuddled up with RPGDot

bryce777

Erudite
Ok, I just finished again,a nd while I do get a high score board, I don't get any kind of option to send in my score.

Balor

Arcane
Well, not exactly send - you get a 'record' txt file your game root dir - that should be later submitted to game website with rankings (rangers.ru).
I guess I'll try to contact devs of the game and ask about the online score feature.

Oh, and, just in case:
You can only export records of 100% and above difficulty.

Balor

Arcane
UPDATED:
Sorry, no online scores for English version.
Looks like (whomever released the game, abroad, I forgot) thought that allocating resoures to support it is not worth the effort.

However, it means that nothing stands between us and eng.dat editor, heh.
Bruce, cmon, mail me that file.

AnalogKid

Scholar
Balor said:
So, the only way, as it was explained, is to assemble a 'group of translators' that will be given the texts in question, that group will correct it, then send it back to elementalgames staff that will repack it and issue an 'unofficial patch' - provided they'll be satisfied with modifications made.
I think "fresh" translations would be way too time consuming, not to mention riddled with problems of us native english speakers not understanding Russian well enough. It seems to me that the flavor and style of the original translations should be preserved as much as possible, and they should just be edited for readability.

Now to the real question ... Balor, do you get a percentage of english-language SR2 sales? :)

Balor

Arcane
AnalogKid said:
Balor said:
So, the only way, as it was explained, is to assemble a 'group of translators' that will be given the texts in question, that group will correct it, then send it back to elementalgames staff that will repack it and issue an 'unofficial patch' - provided they'll be satisfied with modifications made.
I think "fresh" translations would be way too time consuming, not to mention riddled with problems of us native english speakers not understanding Russian well enough. It seems to me that the flavor and style of the original translations should be preserved as much as possible, and they should just be edited for readability.

Now to the real question ... Balor, do you get a percentage of english-language SR2 sales? :)

Nae, I don't mean Russian - simply having ability to modify the English version would be good enough, I guess.

Quests will have to be translated 'from scratch', though.
I guess I'll try one.

And for me getting percentage - not that I would mind, but no :).

Oh, and don't expect me to translate much, or even participate in this for long... eventually (and, unfortunately, inevitably) my depressive "inhibitive reaction' will kick in, and I'll be lost to this cause.

Jed

Cipher
Yatta! My copy just arrived. Probably won't have time to really sink my teeth until the holidays, though...

Nicolai

DUMBFUCK
Hm, just got back from playing the game for an hour or two, 's pretty neat, really. It was very remiscent of Escape Velocity Nova (in a good way, of course), so it was fairly easy to get into. I really liked the hailing system, the text adventures (I didn't get to play the prison one for too long, though. I was out of there in no time due to my exemplary behavior), and the whole trading system.

I didn't care too much for the look of the galaxy map (too messy) and the hyperjump system, but I can't say that I noticed too many typographical and grammatical errors. The translation seemed to be pretty good.

Balor

Arcane
Uff!
After a lot of searching and conversations, I've finally found all the tools to edit it!

Writing it from my work, so I cannot really test it on my game, yet, here are the download links with explanations:
Here they are:

Dat file unpacker:
http://zetranger.nm.ru/PKGUnPack.zip
Size: 239 KB (244 700 bytes)

You need okgf.dll to run it, however, you can find it in your SR folder, or with editor program below.

It's in Russian, yet it's very simple - select Файл ZL, then point to location of your eng.dat (by pressing the button with [...], duh!), then click Распаковать (the lower right button, biggest one, you cannot miss it :P).
The eng.dat file will be unpacked (you'll notice that it'll get MUCH bigger) and ready for editing.

For editing, in turn, use:
http://www.srntsubscribe.newmail.ru/srmt.zip
Size: 581 KB (594 461 bytes)

Ignore the Russian text, click RusDataEditor tab.
It, accidentally, allow one to edit eng.dat too :). (You need to unpack it first, though, see above).

In the field near 'Dat File' label you should input the path to eng.dat (like C:\temp\SR\eng.dat), then press Загрузить (Uppermost button).
Below it, btw, is Сохранить that stands for Save - use it to save your work on eng.dat, logically.

Two buttons below are Поиск (Search) and Сброс (Clear search results) from left to right, respectively... but I guess you'd be able to figure that out easy enought anyway :P.

Editing itself is simple, but the amount of text is indeed staggering, so be warned.

Not sure if you have to repack eng.dat back to make it work - I think not, but since I cannot test it for now, it's up for you people :).
Make sure to backup your eng.dat just in case.

It would be up for Russians to translate quests to English, thought, and it's not that easy (some are REALLY huge, like abovementioned Master of Ikeebana is like 3 megs of text! That's about 2 times larger then prison quest, and almost 3 - Driver quest. And those quests are not that smal.)

aboyd

Liturgist
It sounds like there's no guarantee that the dialogue changes will be usable by the game. Has anyone made a minor change and then tested the game to see if it appears correcty?

-Tony

Balor

Arcane
Try it?
I don't have english version myself, so cannot test it, but I have given explicit instructions above.

Balor

Arcane
Must be. At least I did - however, I cannot test it cause I don't have english version, and it's impossible to play Russian one with eng.dat.

Gwendo

Augur
It works! :) Even the uncompressed eng.dat files works. I've tried to change the first hint item's text, and it showed in the game. Be sure to backup the original eng.dat file before replacing it by your customized file. :)

Balor

Arcane
Now find those pecky errors and fix 'em! ;)
And make sure to share your efforts with community, heh.
Not that I need it myself, but since people complain about errors and stuff...

Gwendo

Augur
I'm just experimenting the editor, here's some pics:

It seems you can translate anything. Even menus. :)

aboyd

Liturgist
Gwendo,

Did you use the English utilities that Alatropix posted? Or did you follow Balor's instructions, using the Russian tools?

-Tony

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom