Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Space Siege ships with no predetermined >90% reviews

Calis

Pensionado
Tags: Space Siege

It has been <A HREF="http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/40638/In-Other-News" target="_blank">brought</A> to my attention that <A HREF="http://www.gaspowered.com/news_detail.php?ID=374" target="_blank">Space Siege is now available</A>, without a single review in sight. This begs the question: did it slip Sega's mind to buy a couple of reviews prior to release? In the unlikely event that one of you bought the game, be sure to post your impressions.

WalterKinde

Scholar
Not even a Customer review on the amazon page.
They really launched this one under the table.
Ether its so good it don't need any reviews or its really really really terrible ala Big Rigs, or Spiderman 2 for the PC.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
They dropped the ball by not having co-op play through the main campaign. Instead they have Nox-like co-op.

If they had the former I would've bought this game even with mediocre scores. As it stands, I am not buying it no matter how high of a score it gets for its single-player Diablo gameplay.

I'd be surprised if it sold that many copies, didn't look or sound good, and I didn't even know it was released.

J1M

Arcane
I am willing to sell my review score for 10^(x-2) pennies where x is the score you are looking for.

PS: Pennies should be delivered electronically.

dragonfk

Erudite
There was a review in a polish magazine:
note: 6+/10
+ less cliched than other h'n's (non fantasy)
+ upgrading your weapon, armor, robot

- weak story and atmosphere
- boring
- linearity, absence of sidequests
- small amount of l00tz

In one word: FAIL.

DiverNB

Liturgist
dragonfk said:
There was a review in a polish magazine:
note: 6+/10
+ less cliched than other h'n's (non fantasy)
+ upgrading your weapon, armor, robot

- weak story and atmosphere
- boring
- linearity, absence of sidequests
- small amount of l00tz

In one word: FAIL.

Sounds like it, especially when ARPG's usual grabber is getting more phat l00t

Thrasher

Erudite
I'd say they released it without reviews because they knew they wouldn't be favorable.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
It has to be pretty bad if they didn't send out any advanced review copies and the publisher can't even bribe anyone. Historically, games that have done this are almost always terrible.

J1M

Arcane
Does anyone know why Chris Taylor still gets respect? I don't know of anything worthwhile he has done since Total Annihilation and I always preferred StarCraft to that.

IGN's review is up:

http://au.pc.ign.com/articles/898/898264p1.html

I'd agree with the reviewer (based on the time I spent with the demo) that it wasn't particularly inspiring, but the following statement really takes the cake in terms of showing the lack of intelligence of mainstream reviewers:

There is a dodge function in the game, but it really doesn't work. There's no option to dodge to the side or the rear, so anytime you dodge, you roll forward towards your enemy. This presents two big problems. First, it puts you closer to the enemy and gives you less time to dodge their next attack. Second, since you're dodging right along the enemy's line of fire, you'll likely pop up from your roll only to be shot in the face.

Guy, you rolled forwards towards the enemy because your mouse cursor was probably in front of your character. If you wanted him to dodge left, have your mouse cursor to his left when you press the dodge button or behind him if you want him to dodge backwards. This takes all of 5 seconds to figure out.

WalterKinde

Scholar
In the age of making games as simple as possible to play with easy rewards for game play etc.
I'd say you were expecting too much from the reviewer, if any old school games were re-released with updated "next gen" graphics but kept their original game play elements people would be saying the games were too hard.

Anyway how long before Fas Powered Points the finger at the evil evil filesharers as the reason for low sales do you think?
Do we know if people actually p2p'd Big Rigs?

WalterKinde said:
Anyway how long before Fas Powered Points the finger at the evil evil filesharers as the reason for low sales do you think?

Was this a rhetorical question? If not then the answer is nobody knows, but I'd imagine that it won't be long.

The_Pope

Scholar
Keender_surprise said:
IGN's review is up:
Guy, you rolled forwards towards the enemy because your mouse cursor was probably in front of your character. If you wanted him to dodge left, have your mouse cursor to his left when you press the dodge button or behind him if you want him to dodge backwards. This takes all of 5 seconds to figure out.

That is a far less elegant and intuitive system than simply pressing a dodge left key.

flushfire

Augur
The_Pope said:
That is a far less elegant and intuitive system than simply pressing a dodge left key.
yes, that way you have to map only 8 keys just for dodging.

dragonfk

Erudite
What do they think when they make an Action-RPG and dont provide it with massive amounts of l00t o_O.

The_Pope

Scholar
flushfire said:
The_Pope said:
yes, that way you have to map only 8 keys just for dodging.

The dodge key could be a modifier for a move key or a doubletapped move key. Moving your crosshair away from the target to dodge then having to re aim afterward is needlessly awkward, and a problem that was solved back when people were upgrading their PCs to play Doom.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
dragonfk said:
What do they think when they make an Action-RPG and dont provide it with massive amounts of l00t o_O.

So it is easier to access for all the people out there that are too silly to play complex tactic games like Diablo and Oblivion.

After finishing all monster, you just press a button and one of the scores goes higher. Now you spend it on.. everything. Innovation!

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
The_Pope said:
I profoundly disagree. Slightly less intuitive, maybe. Slightly, in a "I look at the key settings instead of reading the manual." sense, and no other.
Having an extra key for every action including variations is rather the opposite of elegant. Crude and simple is what I'd call it. It works and is easily understood - as long as you look at the key settings in the options menu. Then again, I might already consider it a failure when I have to do that.
Really, it's mostly a matter of training. If more games used a similar system, you'd consider it intuitive. Like, when I play an FPS, I wouldn't even consider a "dodge" key acceptable. Bloody map dodge to double-tapping a directional key, you 'tards!
Honestly, as long as a system works well, it doesn't deserve to be bashed for not being what you'd expect from other games. No wonder developers and publishers prefer to copy everything from any successful game!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom