Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SpaceVenture - Space Quest spiritual successor by Two Guys from Andromeda

Kz3r0

Arcane
Well, I hope they will reach their goal, however, they need almost 270K$, more than 15K$ per day, even admitting that they will get 100K in the final spike is still 10K per day, we'll see.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
Supposedly, they have a bunch of press lined up soon for their kickstarter. They were saying they were prevented from doing so for some kind of legal reasons? Any ideas on what that could be?

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Probably that and the legal reasons might have been related to their new tiers where they offer the Space Quest games on GOG. Would be interesting to know what kind of deal they made to be able to do that.

Unwanted

Guido Fawkes

Defensor Fidei
Project: Eternity
I don't know, could be about getting the SQ license back. Crossing my fingers on this one because not only it would push the kickstarter campaign through, but it would also be awesome.

It makes sense that they would go after the SQ license being that their KS campaign stalled.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
It kinda makes you think so considering how they seem to be totally relaxed about it. Like they have something up their sleeve.
If only it was that. I hope they don't just put all their money on the upcoming press they announced.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think the Two Guys have suffered from being outside of the consciousness of the mainstream gaming public for so long (since 1995, the year of Space Quest 6's release)

Both Tim Schafer and Brian Fargo may have stopped making the kind of games they really wanted to make, but they never gave up and quit gaming entirely (and in Fargo's case, the spirit of his classic games was kept alive for many more years by Interplay successor companies Troika and Obsidian)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
These adventure game guys play dirty!
http://www.spacequest.net/index.php/topic/286-controversy-paul-trowe-on-the-two-guys/

Wow, you kids really like to just make stuff up, don't you? So, considering all of you don't know any of the real facts about what's been going on, why don't you just ask Scott Murphy why a) they canceled Space Quest 7 B) why him and pretty much everybody at Sierra fell out of grace with Scott except myself and Leslie Balfour c) when nobody in the entire world would talk to him, I hosted him at my house in Austin, Texas and paid for him to go skydiving because he didn't have the funds d) protected him from this woman named Elizaberh Whitener who was trying to exploit him while he was in Austin, and e) personally encouraged Scott to make amends with Mark, Robin Bradley, and pretty much everybody else he ruined his personal relationships with.

So while you continue to bash me with no evidence at all, just pure conjecture, know this: I'm the one who told Scott he should get back together with Mark and do another Space Quest. Suddenly I never hear from him and the next thing I know I'm getting a cease and desist letter from someone I helped pull out of the gutter, LITERALLY.

Go ahead, rant and rave about me. I realize you guys have nothing better to do, but those are the facts. If you want me to go on a Pod Cast with either one or both of them I'm perfectly willing to do that. This will be my only post.

It's very easy to take cheap shots at somebody behind their back, and it's also pretty low.

If anybody knows me, they know what kind of person I am and how altruistic my intentions are. So go ahead, poke all the fun you want....

FeelTheRads

Arcane
That's old stuff, man.

Also, they seem to have made-up with that Paul Trowe. He's pretty annoying and sort of an idiot, though, to be honest.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
Paul with in the chatroom for their last podcast and he was defending the 2 guys, so I guess they made up. Paul seems like a nut though.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
ASTRO CHICKEN
Mystery_Character.png

Stabwound

Arcane
While this is cool and all, what do they expect to accomplish by doing something for SQ1 fans? They've probably exhausted the donations by hardcore SQ fans by this point; they should be looking toward getting more media coverage.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
They have done one of the worst jobs at marketing their KickStarter, that's for sure. It feels like a bunch of a SQ fans found out about it and donated the minimum out of nostalgia but don't really believe the game is going to be any good.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
If all of these former Sierra guys had joined together and made a "Sierra Resurrection Kickstarter", with one game as its first project and more to come afterwards, they could have gotten a lot more money. Possibly more than Larry and this combined.

kaizoku

Arcane
They have done one of the worst jobs at marketing their KickStarter, that's for sure. It feels like a bunch of a SQ fans found out about it and donated the minimum out of nostalgia but don't really believe the game is going to be any good.
I'm not so sure about this. I think it's more of a kickstarter fatigue than anything else. Not only a kickstarter but also an adventure game (financial) fatigue.
And what are they supposed to be doing anyway? Their only hope is to reach their fanbase. And they've showed more work than other projects, like releasing a prototype. Although their honesty may have backfired in that regard.
I think they may have set the bar too high at $500k. JJ struggled and it would seem her audience is broader.
The average pledge per backer, ($53) is on the same level as W2 ($48) or Shadowrun ($51). DFA had $38 and JJ had a whooping $75.

Infinitron
icantseeshitcaptain.jpg

FrancoTAU

Cipher
If all of these former Sierra guys had joined together and made a "Sierra Resurrection Kickstarter", with one game as its first project and more to come afterwards, they could have gotten a lot more money. Possibly more than Larry and this combined.

Yeah, I'm kind of wondering why they didn't form something like Image Comics did back in the day. Own all your own stuff but everyone kicks in a set amount into a pool for distribution, legal, marketing, etc.

kaizoku
I wasn't expecting them to spend any actual money on marketing. I just meant more like their initial kickstarter video was pretty dull for a game whose main selling point is that it's a comedic game. They haven't really made a presence on adventure game sites and boards with interviews and what not.

kaizoku

Arcane
This one is really starting to look like an impossible mission :(
$200k in 9 days...

Anyway, I decided to re-watch (and share it here) this really awesome video on the SQ series and the origins and history of adventure games: http://www.youtubeXXX.com/watch?v=VGh7i2mj5tU
(this guy really comes up with amazing videos, a shame he stopped doing them)

Share it around (together with the http://www.tgakick.com link) by email, twitter, facebook, and maybe it will gather more pledgers.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Oh good, more tiers and rewards on that fucking chart :P

I'm hoping the third prototype knocks it out of the park and they manage to pull it out with a week to go, but I'm not very optimistic.

Stabwound

Arcane
If Hardcore Tactical Plagiarizer makes it and this doesn't it will be a fucking tragedy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom