Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SpaceVenture - Space Quest spiritual successor by Two Guys from Andromeda

Stabwound

Arcane
Kickstarter reached 200k!
Im not sure if you already knew this but.. they are planning to add parser!!
Scott confirmed this during the SQ marathon.
Wait, you mean like early-Sierra text parser?

Please tell me this is what you mean.

LizardKing

Scholar
Kickstarter reached 200k!
Im not sure if you already knew this but.. they are planning to add parser!!
Scott confirmed this during the SQ marathon.
Wait, you mean like early-Sierra text parser?

Please tell me this is what you mean.

Yes, point & click interface + text parser!
I have this strange feeling that these guys still have the magic..

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Check the latest update!

Obviously the rumor is that the "real planned game" is a Space Quest game!

:yeah:

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Totally awesome. This absolutely must be funded. I wish I were super rich. The random, totally unexpected responses you could get out of the early Space Quest parsers were some of the best things about the game.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
The old text input could be dicey with those games in the 80s. I've always been interested if you could pull it off better with modern computers/software. A side affect of dropping text parser was the puzzles got dumbed down and/or just became silly in attempt to be hard. You end up just "using" every item in your inventory on something in hopes that the toothpaste will make the bird fly off the item you need or whatever.

I know I've read that the 2 Guys hated the switchover from text parsers with SQ4. Good to see them hold to their ideals. I just hope they get some kind of bump in coverage to get their kickstarter moving again.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
The old text input could be dicey with those games in the 80s. I've always been interested if you could pull it off better with modern computers/software.
You don't need to look further than Legend's parser from the early 90s.

Goddamnit. I don't think I can afford another $100 Kickstarter this month :( the whole parser thing is really making me wish I could.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
heh I know the feeling. OK NO MORE COOL CLASSIC KICKSTARTERS FOR LIKE UM A FEW MONTHS OK?! I need to eat and pay bills and stuff...

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
So, what can you expect to experience in our new game? Here are Gir Draxon’s latest predictions:

A new (and unlikely) Space Hero will emerge from a lowly station but with a unique skill set. Possibly a female protagonist.
It will not feature a certain space janitor or other SQ characters
The Two Guys (Scott and Mark) will be present as in-game characters
A new “Space Foul” character will definitely be making a prominent debut
You will navigate your own spacecraft through the SpaceVenture galaxy.
You will engage in hilarious space dogfight sequences.
No recent sci-fi/fantasy related movie, series or video game is safe from our parody scope. We’re looking at you Avatar, Firefly, and Halo.
The game will play, look, sound and feel every bit like it was cut from the same cloth as our previous creations, ONLY MUCH BETTER in very way! We’ve learned a thing or two and tech has improved a little since the 90s.

:bounce:

Stabwound

Arcane
For some reason, I have a lot of faith in this kickstarter.

I think it's because the TGFA never had a chance to be touched by the decline. Space Quest 6 is arguably the worst SQ game, but it's still similar to the previous games. Jane Jensen's only post-Sierra adventure is the Dragon Age 2 of adventure games in my opinion. That doesn't mean I don't want a Gabriel Knight 4. :smug:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Yeah, I especially like that they stick to their principles. They even want to make the vanity stuff (names of high tier backers in the game) optional, so whoever doesn't want to see it (that is, everybody else besides those backers) can turn that off.

I admire them for what they do (PARSER! :salute:) and I hope it doesn't hurt them too much in the end.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
I like what I'm hearing gameplay wise, but this KS might be dead unless some big outlet starts to push them. The rate that donations are trickling in won't be enough even if they have the last day spike.

kaizoku

Arcane
A lot of kickstarters... the competition increases.
And not even the "always optimistic" kicktracker has good news.

I think at the end of the month (when people get their paycheck) we'll get a better idea of what might happen.
It will probably pull a Jane Jensen kickstarter type of thing (on the last 3 days it got $64k).

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I blame DF...they were lucky because they were the first and a big fucking name and raked in the cash and donors. Everyone all of a sudden got KS fever and projects were being hawked a dozen a day. Had DF actually started now and it was some other group that started the ball rolling, I think they'd be facing more of a slog and probably end up with 1/3 fewer backers and funds at least, probably even less.

I'm glad Obsidian are taking their time as it's really starting to look like KS fatigue is setting in. A lot of the projects struggling now are no different from projects that succeeded easily a couple of months ago.

Unwanted

Guido Fawkes

Defensor Fidei
Project: Eternity
DF probably did a lot of good with their success though. Had it been a project with more lukewarm success I suppose we wouldn't have the enthusiasm for kickstarter we have now. A lot of people wouldn't have jumped on the bandwagon.

I don't get why adventuregamers didn't make a push for this and Tex Murphy. Bunch of faggots. I know Jensen paid for advertisement space on their website before getting attention.

Stabwound

Arcane
I agree that the DF success was for the greater good. Let's face it: if it wasn't for them, none of these kickstarters would be going at all.

It's unfortunate that this kickstarter isn't going very well. It would be a tragedy if they went through all of this effort, flying across the country for meetings and all of that only to have the kickstarter fail in the end. I think they're going to have to pull some rabbits out of magic hats to get this successful, because they're almost 1/2 done and not even 1/2 funded yet, and that's with the initial rush that comes at the beginning of every kickstarter.

I hope this succeeds. :(

Alex

Arcane
Maybe we should try spreading the good word on different channels? I haven't seen much exposure on that kickstarter around the net. Heck, that Tortured Hearts kickstarter had more exposure than this one, I think. Anyway, I am hopeful they will get more people once they release the second prototype.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Apparently they have some things lined up to show in the media, but I don't know what's taking so long.
And hopefully the next prototype will be more than just two clicks and maybe that will get them some coverage.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I blame DF...they were lucky because they were the first and a big fucking name and raked in the cash and donors. Everyone all of a sudden got KS fever and projects were being hawked a dozen a day. Had DF actually started now and it was some other group that started the ball rolling, I think they'd be facing more of a slog and probably end up with 1/3 fewer backers and funds at least, probably even less.

I'm glad Obsidian are taking their time as it's really starting to look like KS fatigue is setting in. A lot of the projects struggling now are no different from projects that succeeded easily a couple of months ago.

Hardcore Plagiarized Tacticool Shooter wouldn't have gotten 20,000 now :x

kaizoku

Arcane
I agree that the DF success was for the greater good. Let's face it: if it wasn't for them, none of these kickstarters would be going at all.
^ this

It's unfortunate that this kickstarter isn't going very well. It would be a tragedy if they went through all of this effort, flying across the country for meetings and all of that only to have the kickstarter fail in the end. I think they're going to have to pull some rabbits out of magic hats to get this successful, because they're almost 1/2 done and not even 1/2 funded yet, and that's with the initial rush that comes at the beginning of every kickstarter.

I hope this succeeds. :(
Don't despair guys.
Jane Jensen's kickstarter was also a very though nut to crack.
Yes, it was in better shape for 1 game, but in very bad shape for the 2 games at 600k.

At the end of the month things will pick up.
I will only be pledging next month too.

Things we can do to help the campaign:
- use a Space Quest (and I do mean Space Quest) wallpaper at work (post any good ones you find here on this thread). Otherwise use http://guysfromandromeda.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/TGA_wallpaper_1280X1024.jpg
- do a Space Quest version of this http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...starter-is-now-live.72216/page-4#post-2101001

About the kickstarter fatigue... yeah it's setting in. More like wallet fatigue.
But the fact is, how many projects worthy of revival are out there yet?
Not many. This was some bad timing by TGA and Tex Murphy.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Not true, the people doing projects now are not big names, besides, Grim Dawn got half a million, Xenonauts, practically a fan made game, will get more than 100K, and, just to give an idea, from when Schafer started till now videogames on Kickstarter got 13M$, counting only the projects above 100K$.
And Tex Murphy will surely be funded, the only one in real peril of failure is Space Venture.

Edit:
I forgot Carmageddon, that will surely get its 400K, really, Space Venture is the only project with some kind of recognizability that is struggling.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
I don't think it's Kickstarter fatigue. It's one thing if the high donations dropped off because people are broke. Jane Jensen, Tex Murphy and SpaceAdventure still have a high average donation rate. It's just that the amount of backers is really low compared to the other genres. We're on pace for around 6K backers for each game. They're just not even getting attention from all the adventure gamers out there who are probably mostly in their 30s and 40s. I have no idea how to go about that though.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Not true, the people doing projects now are not big names, besides, Grim Dawn got half a million, Xenonauts, practically a fan made game, will get more than 100K, and, just to give an idea, from when Schafer started till now videogames on Kickstarter got 13M$, counting only the projects above 100K$.
And Tex Murphy will surely be funded, the only one in real peril of failure is Space Venture.

Edit:
I forgot Carmageddon, that will surely get its 400K, really, Space Venture is the only project with some kind of recognizability that is struggling.

Xenonauts has been in production already for a long time and the same people following it over the years are backing it now, so that's different. Look at shadowrun, that isn't made by big names or Banner Saga, yet they gathered a shitload of funding because they started early. Had Shafer started now, name or no name, he'd be lucky to get 2 mil. Conversely had the Two Guys came out at the start and pitched their thing as the rebirth of 'Sierra comedic adventures' they'd have been in a lot better position to pick up the mass of hipster faggots trying out KS cause it's 'cool'.

I don't think it's Kickstarter fatigue. It's one thing if the high donations dropped off because people are broke. Jane Jensen, Tex Murphy and SpaceAdventure still have a high average donation rate. It's just that the amount of backers is really low compared to the other genres. We're on pace for around 6K backers for each game. They're just not even getting attention from all the adventure gamers out there who are probably mostly in their 30s and 40s. I have no idea how to go about that though.

Well DF is the same genre and it got 80,000+ supporters, most paid little which shows it was the whole novelty of the thing rather than the hard core supporters. Most of the novelty backers would have disappeared had DF just started now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom