Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Spec Ops: The Line - Heart of Darkness with guns

Captain Shrek

Shitty gameplay is never justifiable. Is a movie acceptable if it sucks but had a lot of cool special effects?

All he is saying is the usual thing: A game is more than sum of its parts. Sometimes, SOMEtimes, extraordinary elements of a game can take it a long way towards being a good game.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
It's like talking to a zombie, mindlessly drudging through life as a contrarian know-it-all. Its wisdom cannot be shaken, for there is no room left for the outside view. Like FretRider, but in a games discussion. Once, it had the capacity for two-way communication. It has long since forgotten this skill however, and now exists solely because of its own instinct for self-preservation. It has no goal, it is the incarnation of aimless. Strangers who encounter it get disgusted and mad at first, but once they become familiar with it, they look upon it with pity.

Most hope it will at some point regain its lost humanity. A few, however, take sadistic delight in its torment. The only common rule, is that no one notices it for long. As much as it ignores its opposition, it is, in the larger scheme of things, ignored itself.

I tried to spare you such bullshit, but you just couldn't walk away.

:kingcomrade:

I should have listened to your wisdom.

CSM

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Say what you want about Spec Ops: The Line. But it sure is a beauty. Other designers can learn a thing or two about art design from these guys.

I think it's pretty fun overall, but there are some annoying things which tend to diminish the gameplay, especially towards the end (no savegames, railshooter bits, endless streams of enemies).

Storywise it does a couple of clever things. But although the concept is great, the execution is lacking somewhat. Game would have been a lot better if they had cut out some of the shooting galleries, and fleshed out the story some more.

Still a pretty interesting and fun experience nonetheless.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It's terrible. Even though it's only five hours I couldn't push myself to finish. Generic popamole.

DeepOcean

Arcane
The gameplay is so shitty and boring that people only care about the story and the story is just a 2deep4you cliche that I heard about one thousand times by now without really adding anything intereting.

10714.jpg

CSM

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
The gameplay is so shitty and boring that people only care about the story and the story is just a 2deep4you cliche that I heard about one thousand times by now without really adding anything intereting.
Which game do the same story? I would like to play those games. Please name them.

The only thing I can think coming close is Hotline Miami.

Direwolf

Arcane
Which game do the same story? I would like to play those games. Please name them.

Decent story doesn't justify shit gameplay.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Stories about how war is awful and the whole thing is a hallucination or whatever? Please. I weep for your soul if you found that story anything but cliche.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
I know several games that approach the question of player agency in video games. Off the top of my head, Metal Gear Solid 2 approaches the topic in a far more nuanced and less overtly preachy way than Spec Ops did.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Good stories with bad gameplay are called books. You're looking for the wrong genre of entertainment.

DeepOcean

Arcane

Sorry man, a cliche story won't stop being shitty because it is on a game. Spec ops is a shitty war movie with shitty gameplay sections between the movie bits. I almost rolled my eyes at the end, I expected it from a mile away. Is it better than "let's cut the throats of those foreign niggas, Murica fucking yeah!" from other military shooters? Yes. That make it a decent story? No, because any turd compared to CoD will shine like a nugget of gold.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I know several games that approach the question of player agency in video games. Off the top of my head, Metal Gear Solid 2 approaches the topic in a far more nuanced and less overtly preachy way than Spec Ops did.
Exactly, Spec Ops developers are way more preachy about player agency than actually offering that on the game they actually made.

DemonKing

Arcane
I didn't think the gameplay was so bad - it was nothing special but it wasn't terrible compared to other offerings out there. The most annoying thing was having to replay some segments multiple times towards the end but that's what you get with console ports I guess. I actual kind of liked some bits, like the crazy guys using flying foxes to get from one skyscraper to another.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
If you didn't think the gameplay was bad you must be used to playing crappy console cover shooters.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I didn't think the gameplay was so bad.
Point the dot to the middle of the screen, enemy head appears in 2 seconds intervals, wait 2 seconds, click left mouse one time, hurt, wait 10 seconds to screen stop being red, enemy head appears in 2 seconds intervals, wait 2 seconds, click once with left mouse button, repeat until win. This is the definition of bad.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom