Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Spec Ops: The Line - Heart of Darkness with guns

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
The gameplay is so shitty and boring that people only care about the story and the story is just a 2deep4you cliche that I heard about one thousand times by now without really adding anything intereting.
Which game do the same story? I would like to play those games. Please name them.
We don't need more games to try their hand at this story. It had some good scenes and lines and competent character development, but it can't pride itself on moments alone (most of which were told through non-interactive cutscenes). The plot was this disjointed nonsense that went from generic military shooter to defeatist bullshit about how you're a villain for playing the game all the way through.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
I didn't think the gameplay was so bad - it was nothing special but it wasn't terrible compared to other offerings out there. The most annoying thing was having to replay some segments multiple times towards the end but that's what you get with console ports I guess. I actual kind of liked some bits, like the crazy guys using flying foxes to get from one skyscraper to another.
Haha, WHAT. I've suffered through console cover shooters and actually finished some (Gears of War 1, Binary Domain). This game was shit and I stopped myself from playing.

BTW console shooter ports really need to look at GRAW2. The PC version took away the cover system from the console versions AND they added controls for leaning.

Exactly, Spec Ops developers are way more preachy about player agency than actually offering that on the game they actually made.
Exactly, it was the opposite of player agency in the one instance they preach about it, too. They gave the choice of continuing the game or turning off the game console, which is not a gameplay choice lol.

Dexter

Arcane
Spec Ops: The Line was one of the best games of 2012 and you're all trying too hard to be contrarian. +M

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
It was originally written by Japs and it sounded bland as hell.
Go check out the Jap trailers for Binary Domain and then watch the opening of the US Version.
The dialogue most certainly did not entirely correspond to the original script.
But the overall plot stayed the same.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Also Binary Domain has a better story than Spec Ops :M
It was the most fun third person popamoler can get with insane amounts of variation and challenging on the hardest difficulty. It was a crime tha Sega is such an incompetent company and spent 0 dollars in marketing.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Also Binary Domain has a better story than Spec Ops :M
It was the most fun third person popamoler can get with insane amounts of variation and challenging on the hardest difficulty. It was a crime tha Sega is such an incompetent company and spent 0 dollars in marketing.
Binary Domain is a really easy shotter, even on the hardest difficulty, unless by challange you mean getting companion trust and shit like that. Headshots are the way to play easier, since headless robots will kill other robots. The usual codex hated shotters such as Gears of War or COD provide more challange(or frustration). Of course being easy doesn't mean the game is bad.

Angthoron

Arcane
It was originally written by Japs and it sounded bland as hell.
Go check out the Jap trailers for Binary Domain and then watch the opening of the US Version.
The dialogue most certainly did not entirely correspond to the original script.
But the overall plot stayed the same.
So for once, the localization team made a game better? Awesome. It was really the dialogues that made the game for me, sure, gameplay was solid enough, but that story, and the characters...

CSM

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Stories about how war is awful and the whole thing is a hallucination or whatever? Please. I weep for your soul if you found that story anything but cliche.
That's no the focus of the story. Did you even play the game?

CSM

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
The gameplay is so shitty and boring that people only care about the story and the story is just a 2deep4you cliche that I heard about one thousand times by now without really adding anything intereting.
Which games do the same story? I would like to play those games. Please name them.

The only thing I can think coming close is Hotline Miami.
Sorry man, a cliche story won't stop being shitty because it is on a game. Spec ops is a shitty war movie with shitty gameplay sections between the movie bits. I almost rolled my eyes at the end, I expected it from a mile away. Is it better than "let's cut the throats of those foreign niggas, Murica fucking yeah!" from other military shooters? Yes. That make it a decent story? No, because any turd compared to CoD will shine like a nugget of gold.
So, basically you've got nothing?

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Stories about how war is awful and the whole thing is a hallucination or whatever? Please. I weep for your soul if you found that story anything but cliche.
What is the focus of the story? From what I've seen of people who defend it, they all come to back one another up, but no two people seem to mention the same sentiments about the game's focus beyond a "you missed the point." Could it be, rather, that the story is just disorganized, nebulous general negativity about shooting games that completely lacks focus?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Wow, people are still defending this game? Some of you took a wrong turn at Neogaf. This game combines two of the deadliest sins of the Codex: 2deep4u plot and popamole gameplay. Those aren't just buzzwords as the story is apparently so deep even the defenders can't explain it. And as DeepOcean lays out, the game is TEXTBOOK popamole: you shoot the enemy heads when they pop up and you duck for cover when you've taken damage. Repeat a thousand times.

Never mind the fact it's only five hours long INCLUDING cutscenes. Come on, people.

Last edited:

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
What is the focus of the story? From what I've seen of people who defend it, they all come to back one another up, but no two people seem to mention the same sentiments about the game's focus beyond a "you missed the point." Could it be, rather, that the story is just disorganized, nebulous general negativity about shooting games that completely lacks focus?

The story is (a) Apocalypse Now re-skinned in vidya game format, AND (b) a meta-comment on you deriving enjoyment from shooting dudes in the face in vidya games.

And no, Apocalypse Now's focus is NOT "war is horrible." More like "nothing makes fucking sense in Vietnam" and "I love the smell of napalm in the morning."

DeepOcean

Arcane
Man I don't buy that whole: We made a generic third person military shooter with a pretentious cliche ridden story aped from Apocalypse now but that is to talk about player agency, our game is completely linear and rail roaded but that is as a testament of the inevitability of your spiral of self destruction, you do everything you do on CoD game but, you see, that is to show you how evil that shit is, you even become a war criminal by using white phosphorus even if you were forced to do it for the story proceed, in our game, the player is a war criminal by trying to win the game even if all the actions of the protagonist are chosen by us and the player just need to press W to follow our pre made path. That is High Art!

This come right from the 10 Tips to Look Pretentious and Hide being a Shitty Writter rulebook. The Far Cry 3 writer tried a stunt like that as well, but in his case it didn't work so well.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Man you hit right on the spot. I didn't know what the fuck the protagonist was doing half of the time.

Dexter

Arcane
All of the important stuff has been discussed in the first ~8-10 pages of the thread. Since then you got like 2-3 people bringing it up again, the majority of which didn't even play it telling the ones that did and liked it very much how bad the game is because they seem to be eternally butthurt about other people considering this to be a really good game and the general praise it got, Metro being a prime example for such and DeepOcean being a good example for someone who doesn't have any idea what the fuck he is even talking about since page 9 (see even his previous post where he admits to it) and chain-brofisting each other. It ain't worth engaging with that shit because every post is basically:
:butthurt:

DeepOcean

Arcane
All of the important stuff has been discussed in the first ~8-10 pages of the thread. Since then you got like 2-3 people bringing it up again, the majority of which didn't even play it telling the ones that did and liked it very much how bad the game is because they seem to be eternally butthurt about other people considering this to be a really good game and the general praise it got, Metro being a prime example for such and DeepOcean being a good example for someone who doesn't have any idea what the fuck he is even talking about since page 9 (see even his previous post where he admits to it) and chain-brofisting each other. It ain't worth engaging with that shit because every post is basically:
:butthurt:
"You don't have any idea what you are talking about! You are butthurt because I think it is a good game! You didn't even played that game and is talking out of your ass! A lot of people praise it, so it must be good!" Stop being boring Dexter, I see those bullshit dismissive excuses in almost every codex thread and they were used quite a lot in this very thread already. It isn't anything new.

Anyway, I didn't cared about this game enough to even feel butthurt at all and I had more fun while eating an hamburger than playing this thing. I finished playing it and felt that i wasted my time with a piece of crap, it isn't fun and whatever it was trying to do it failed at it really bad. I was about to forget about it when I read this thread. What I was curious wasn't about if the game was crap or not, I was already certain of that, but about how people eat the shitty excuses of the writers and the hype of the usual mainstream retards so easily.

I pointed many times the flaws in it and the people who defend it will get medals on the mental gymnastics olympics of transforming any limitation and flaw in it on a supposed meta commentary about something. Any meta commentary about anything, war, player agency, video games and violence, you name it, must be developed on a smart way, don't expect me to be impressed by predictable tacked on cutscenes on a generic popamoler. I felt like I was watching a terrible convoluted version of Apocalypse Now that sometimes forced me to engage on one of the most boring gameplay ever. If the intention was to show what really happens when a CoD player uses his drone strikes, well it achieved that, well done, google white phosphorus and war and you are going to have a a way more shocking vision of that and you didn't even had to suffer through terrible gameplay to see it.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Dexter don't tag me over your useless rants. Your taste in games is fucking horrible only surpassed by your love of useless tech like Oculus Rift. The fact that you're praising a shitty popamole game like this is all the proof anyone with half a brain needs to confirm how valuable your opinion is on the matter.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom