Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SpellForce: Conquest of Eo - strategy RPG from Fantasy General 2 devs

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
I doubt they'll add an option for such a big map, most of the games were finished before you even explored half of the current map. Awesome news btw, absolutely love this game.
Depends on how laser focused you were and whether you got the fast tower stuff minmaxed.

Reality

Learned
For me, I usually finish with 3 land areas + Tuscari sea unvisited.

It's just too inconvenient to go down there.

For land I generally go clockwise from where I start so what I miss will be whatever is furthest from my start.

I basically always do the North and Center though, mainly because they have way more haste berries than everywhere else.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Generally the middle third horizontally and then parts of the upper third are the most useful. The south is generally only good for wisps farming free goodie tiles.

krilcebre

Scholar
I also think I've fully explored the sea only once. Most of my games were in the southwest area of the map, usually exploring towards mid and north.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Despite loving the game conceptually I just can't seem to play it for very long. I think the new spell school from the Demon Scourge DLC is very well executed and extremely fun to play around, but ultimately I just get worn out by the dumbed down (relative to FG2) combat mechanics and wonky balance. I'll get the new DLC as well though only for the new spell school, I have no interest in the RNG maps.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Despite loving the game conceptually I just can't seem to play it for very long. I think the new spell school from the Demon Scourge DLC is very well executed and extremely fun to play around, but ultimately I just get worn out by the dumbed down (relative to FG2) combat mechanics and wonky balance. I'll get the new DLC as well though only for the new spell school, I have no interest in the RNG maps.
I mean can you reasonably expect this game to compete on tactical combat with fantasy general? Seems like a misplaced expectation.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I mean can you reasonably expect this game to compete on tactical combat with fantasy general? Seems like a misplaced expectation.
Yes? It's not like FG2 is a high bar. Morale mattered more than willpower and models actually factored into combat resolution. At the very least there was no reason to omit the latter mechanic though if I'd have to guess I'd say they left it out because they didn't have time to balance things out. The game is a mess already in terms of unit balance. Tactical spells would've also been nice.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Yes? It's not like FG2 is a high bar. Morale mattered more than willpower and models actually factored into combat resolution. At the very least there was no reason to omit the latter mechanic though if I'd have to guess I'd say they left it out because they didn't have time to balance things out. The game is a mess already in terms of unit balance. Tactical spells would've also been nice.
Well unit balance isn't really the point though, right? The focus is much more on the economic layer. The crafting systems of the classes are the part that is unique and detailed.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
From what I can tell, this expansion is mostly focused on the new random maps and scenarios. It adds very little to the preset campaign. Although it will be a while before I get to the random maps, I still bought it to support the devs.

ArchAngel

Arcane
From what I can tell, this expansion is mostly focused on the new random maps and scenarios. It adds very little to the preset campaign. Although it will be a while before I get to the random maps, I still bought it to support the devs.
Well it adds a new spell school, that goblin hero and new enemies and events.

krilcebre

Scholar
Goblin hero? Couldn't find anything about it, the only thing being added regarding goblins is the new unit. Can you share some info on it?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Goblin hero? Couldn't find anything about it, the only thing being added regarding goblins is the new unit. Can you share some info on it?
He's called Burgle and he burgles things.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Bought the DLC but there's no Dreamweaving archetype. It's only a new spellschool but doesn't come with its own flavor of crafting. Really sad. I think I'm most excited for the Goblin hero at this point, but we'll see.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Bought the DLC but there's no Dreamweaving archetype. It's only a new spellschool but doesn't come with its own flavor of crafting. Really sad. I think I'm most excited for the Goblin hero at this point, but we'll see.
It's a spell school, yes, not a wizard archetype.

lycanwarrior

Scholar
Must've sold better than expected to get multiple DLC, kinda surprised. Was very much a under-the-radar release last year.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Bought the base game. If it's not good, I will yell angrily at my empty living room. You have been warned, voices in my head.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
I also though it was initially going to be a crafting school. At least they now let you officially pick a second crafting class. Bitter they removed the Isgrimm exploit, though.

The allfire and proficiency buffs are cool. I'm skeptical of the early skip option because it seems like time still passes? Not sure.

Gonna play a single game and see how things go.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Finished my first game on Balanced difficulty as a Necromancer. It was a bumpy road as I'm still trying to align how I like to play these types of games with how you should play CoE, but overall I found it a whole lot more, well, balanced this time around. I didn't have to sweat over getting bombarded with massive stacks of high tier units relatively fast, but I couldn't procrastinate either.
I've now started a new game with the Artificier and Dreamweaver books, both are new to me. So far I'm pleased to see some interesting interactions with the two at least in the early game to give you the oomph you need to punch above your weight. Dream gets a fairly powerful enchant spell that increases a ranged units range by 2 hexes. That coupled with low level and very easy Artificier runes that set enemies on fire and does an extra 6 damage against flaming targets lets you really hit hard from well before the enemy even gets to you. There are of course other interesting spells with Dream that I won't reveal, however I'll say that this seems to be the school for turtlers like me since there's a global enchant that increases your reputation with Circle mages each turn.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
I am playing a run to get every single spell page. So far I whiffed on one and perhaps two but not clear yet. However there are so many ways to get them if you know the whole game. So I might get all 32.

Blutwurstritter

Scholar
How does the map generation work? Does it simply reshuffle the placement of the default map or does it something more interesting?

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
How does the map generation work? Does it simply reshuffle the placement of the default map or does it something more interesting?
Resources/locations spawn randomly on the normal map. They also spawn randomly on the other map options. Cities and special locations like Landmarks spawn in a static location on the normal map. They spawn in a random location on the other map options.

The random maps, including progression and lake, spawn the regions relatively randomly and the regions are randomized in shape. But it is the same regions and the same cities because the game is not really a 4X per say. All the Landmarks are the same even if they spawn in different spots.

Blutwurstritter

Scholar
Resources/locations spawn randomly on the normal map. They also spawn randomly on the other map options. Cities and special locations like Landmarks spawn in a static location on the normal map. They spawn in a random location on the other map options.

The random maps, including progression and lake, spawn the regions relatively randomly and the regions are randomized in shape. But it is the same regions and the same cities because the game is not really a 4X per say. All the Landmarks are the same even if they spawn in different spots.
Thanks for the info. Sounds close to my expectations, although I would have preferred a hand-crafted map extension.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom