Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Spiderweb Software ditches Queen's Wish, Avernum 4: Greed and Glory remake now on Kickstarter

I've never played any spiderweb games, although I do have Avadon and Avernum in my game library, but I left them there because I've read that they are very story-focused games, and I don't like very story-focused games, for example PST. Should I bother playing any of their games? Or which game should I play?

arepo

Novice
I've never played any spiderweb games, although I do have Avadon and Avernum in my game library, but I left them there because I've read that they are very story-focused games, and I don't like very story-focused games, for example PST. Should I bother playing any of their games? Or which game should I play?
I wouldn't call Avernum story-focused. It's more about exploration and combat really. There is a story alright, but you're mostly free to do what you want and there isn't a lot of dialogue compared to PST and games like that.
Avadon is a different matter - that one's definitely inspired by PST, although I think in direct comparison it's still more of a classic RPG.

TwoEdge

Scholar
I agree that Vogel should refocus on Avernum and Geneforge. But where in that video or elsewhere is it stated that Spiderweb is ditching Queen's Wish?

Contagium

Savant
Patron
I agree that Vogel should refocus on Avernum and Geneforge. But where in that video or elsewhere is it stated that Spiderweb is ditching Queen's Wish?
I was just going to pose this question myself. Jeff has sounded pretty committed to QW3 at some point. I don't think this Avernum remaster changes it... unless we're missing something here

talan

Augur
I'm guessing it was a cheeky remark by Infinitron. Most people assumed the next game would be QW3 given his current pattern.

In a Geneforge 2 launch livestream, someone asked him about his next game being QW3, but he said it probably won't be, and that he may instead finish off the series as additional content for QW2.
Also, someone asked him on twitter about QW3 and he said "We do have plans for finishing the QW series".

Zanzoken

Arcane
Vogel will be starting on the Queen's Wish remake soon and he is rolling out a BRAND NEW ENGINE AND ART STYLE that's really going to get people talking.

Are you ready for it?

Untitled.png

Luzur

Good Sir
If he made Queens Wish more into like how the Avernum games are with a more refined base building system those games would be nice

almondblight

Arcane

Exile III.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Exile I - III.
Fixed that for you. :martini:

Mortmal

Arcane
Could elaborate, could say what's needed are more party members, more builds, and strategies, along with spending time in character creation. There's no need for a graphic revamp, and to be honest, if you can tolerate Avernum's graphics, you can already handle Exile's. But what we’re likely to get is more mainstreaming, making it hard to stay interested in his upcoming releases. Also, it needs more thrilling stories—I didn’t even bother finishing Queen's Wish 2. But we all know he's just going to focus on more mainstreaming.

grimer

Learned
PLAY THE FUCKING EXILE 1 FFS.

God damn newfags.
i hate how in the old exile games your party is consolidated into 1 tile when exploring then spreads them out whenever you enter combat. so sometimes it puts my spellcasters in melee with the enemy fighters and they have to tank an attack of opportunity right off the bat. this happens frequently in dungeons where you can't start combat several tiles away.

Exile I - III.
Fixed that for you. :martini:

Avernum it's not like an "enhanced edition" of Exile? Using a new game engine

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Dear children and now you'd be doing remake of my games. That's your duty for next 30 years.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Geneforge 1 and Escape from the Pit are masterpieces of design and should be treated as free lessons in video game development

Nethergate is cool too

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Avernum is decent, but Geneforge is his greatest work and he needs to get the rest of those remade before the reaper gets him, especially the last one since it's an unbalanced mess.
That's worrysome because I kinda got bored with Geneforge in its second half. I started it like 3-4 months ago and I just don't have the motivation to finish it. I kinda already see where the whole thing is going and I'm not enjoying fighting *yet another* thrash mob with the so-so combat system.
Geneforge 1 and Escape from the Pit are masterpieces of design and should be treated as free lessons in video game development
Really, what makes Geneforge 1 a masterpiece in your view? I found it just okay, nothing earth-shattering. It's an interesting setting, but underdeveloped, and the core gameplay is the standard "paint the map" and "visit all locations" fare.

almondblight

Arcane
Avernum it's not like an "enhanced edition" of Exile? Using a new game engine

It's mostly the same story, setting, dungeons, quests, etc., but everything related to combat was butchered in return for some minor quality of life improvements.

For Exile 3 -> Avernum 3, yeah, which is why I recommend Exile 3 over Avernum 3.

But Avernum 1 added a ton of content that Exile 1 didn't have. Exile 1 doesn't even have quests in the first few towns.

In general the first three Avernums are all on about the same level, but each Exile improved significantly on the previous one.

I looked at the "Codex best cRPG of all time" list and noticed that Geneforge 2001 was voted the best in the three polls. "Avernum: Escape from the Pit (2012)" only was vote in the last pool 2024.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I looked at the "Codex best cRPG of all time" list and noticed that Geneforge 2001 was voted the best in the three polls. "Avernum: Escape from the Pit (2012)" only was vote in the last pool 2024.

It's partly because every poll splits the vote between Exile and Avernum.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom