Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Spong interviews the Father of Lies

Joe Krow

Erudite
So Gothic 3 was a better game then Morrowind how?

Morrowind created a wide open world of hand placed items and enemies to explore (unlike Daggerfall which was not as engaging). Your choices had consequences and you had plenty of choices in designing your character. I liked it. It did not have as deep a narritive thread as some older games and it was very combat heavy but overall I thought it was fairly well done. It did borrow from other genres but it still maintained its focus.

For me it was a success and I hope to see something simalar in FA3. Bethesda can and hopefully will do something very simalar. Realistically, that is the best that you can hope for.

Feel free to pick at my post line by line rather then adding your own arguements. Its easier then thinking for yourself.

PS- Thanks for the warm welcome. DICKHEADS!!

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Joe Krow said:
Morrowind created a wide open world of hand placed items and enemies...
Formatted for awesomeness.

Your choices had consequences ...
Like?

For me it was a success and I hope to see something simalar in FA3.
Another wide open world of itams and monstars? Where can I preorder?

Choices and - OMGAWD!!! - consequences in action. No wonder you don't like them.

Lumpy

Arcane
So you think that Morrowind, a game which is totally different from Fallout, is the best they can expect - yet, they shouldn't make any suppositions about Fallout, since it might actually turn out good.

Joe Krow

Erudite
Lumpy said:
So you think that Morrowind, a game which is totally different from Fallout, is the best they can expect - yet, they shouldn't make any suppositions about Fallout, since it might actually turn out good.

They've already said FO3 will use the first person perspective. In my opinion Morrowind raised the bar on that. It's not easy to pull off first person in an rpg (without it feeling fpS... see Oblivion). Anyway, what would you like to see? Ultima underwold? Get real. When was ifirst person roleplaying done better then Morrowind?

Spacemoose said:
five bucks says pip-boy will be voice-acted. he will also give you helpful advice as to whether you're getting closer or farther away from the nearest whorehouse

I can definitely see that happening. Speaking of whores, I can just foresee them making a lot of hay over this. I'm sure some cocksuckers in the game media will repeatedly express the bravery of Bethesda for putting such "mature" content in a video game.

mister lamat

Scholar
you're gonna get further raped for saying morrowind was superior to daggerfall... lube up first. as for gothic3, you could be right. sure your actions do change the gameworld, but when said world is populated by a million nameless orcs, a million guys named 'rebel', six women and a bunch of bald men who seem to have a thing for bondage gear and diapers, does it really matter at all?

Would you vice versa say that journalists should not be held to certain standards of veracity and research? The question is rather: whose standards should this be? Here actually, neither the question nor the answer make much sense to me. If you have something to complain about, name it, pete.

i think part of it has to do with his job. as a pr guy all he wants is people to take his spewage and offer it up, lobbing the softest of questions at him. nothing pisses off marketing folk as much as someone else's opinion of the product, regardless of how valid it is.

the other aspect is probably something of professional courtesy. kinda hard to wrap your head around when 9/10ths of 'gaming journalism' (and i use that term every so reservedly) is a hobby at best. no one likes being called 'the father of lies' or 'high potentate of the nutjugglers', regardless if the title is deserving in the eyes of the 'journalist'. once you start mixing opinion with fact and let that colour the reporting it does become a place that you really don't want to step into.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Joe Krow said:
When was first person roleplaying done better then Morrowind?
What's role-playing, in your opinion? Hunting for items and killing monsters? In this case, you are probably right.

Lumpy

Arcane
Joe Krow said:
Lumpy said:

They've already said FO3 will use the first person perspective. In my opinion Morrowind raised the bar on that. It's not easy to pull off first person in an rpg (without it feeling fpS... see Oblivion). Anyway, what would you like to see? Ultima underwold? Get real. When was ifirst person roleplaying done better then Morrowind?
You can't be that dumb. Do you honestly think that FP perspective is necessarily tied to sandbox gameplay?
Fallout's role-playing would work just as well in first person as in isometric.

Joe Krow

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
Joe Krow said:
When was first person roleplaying done better then Morrowind?
What's role-playing, in your opinion? Hunting for items and killing monsters? In this case, you are probably right.

Are you sure? Eliminate those two elements from almost any rpg and your not going to be left with much. Fallout, Balder's Gate, you name it- rpg and tactical combat are practically synonomous.... and when your done you get treats!! Them's the rules. "Not in Planescape..." yada yada yada. Combat and items are 90% of the genre. Get your head out of your ass. Throw in some interesting plot interaction and some advancement for spice. Why not take off your +9 Meat Helmet of Nostalgia and answer my question?

taxacaria

Scholar
Lumpy said:
Fallout's role-playing would work just as well in first person as in isometric.

The role playing would work, but not the combat with companions.

Jack Crow said:
Fallout, Balder's Gate, you name it- rpg and tactical combat are practically synonomous.... and when your done you get treats!! Them's the rules. "Not in Planescape..." yada yada yada. Combat and items are 90% of the genre. Get your head out of your ass. Throw in some interesting plot interaction and some advancement for spice. Why not take off your +9 Meat Helmet of Nostalgia and answer my question

Ever played Fallout or BG ?
Tactical combat and role playing are synonymous? So 'Asteroids' was a great RPG.
Have you ever thought about the consequences of your doing ? About quests with more than one solution according to the chosen role/alignment?
Roleplaying is the way, not the final success.

Lumpy

Arcane
Sure, but saying "Fallout 3 is FP, and Morrowind was the FP game that had the best RP, so Fallout 3 should have Morrowind-like RP" is stupid.
Not to mention that Morrowind's RP was poor - although it was still much better than the Baldur's Gates.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Morrowind's RP was poor - although it was still much better than the Baldur's Gates."

No. Only an idiot would think that.

Joe Krow

Erudite
taxacaria said:
Lumpy said:
Ever played FalloutI ?
Tactical combat and role playing are synonymous? So 'Asteroids' was a great RPG.
Have you ever thought about the consequences of your doing ? About quests with more than one solution according to the chosen role/alignment?
Roleplaying is the way, not the final success.

If you believe that by saying combat is an element of almost all rpgs that I am saying all games with tactical comabt are in fact rpgs, you sir are an idiot.

If you believe that success in combat rewarded by tresure iis not an element of almost all rpgs then you havn't played many.

If, on the other hand, you are just trying to score some easy points with whatever idiots don't immediatley dismiss your logic. Congratulations, you have earned the respect of the ignorant.

The bit about rpgs being more then the sum of their parts I can agree with...

Lumpy

Arcane
Perhaps, Volly, but you're forgetting one detail:
BG is DEAD.

Bradylama

Arcane
If you believe that by saying combat is an element of almost all rpgs that I am saying all games with tactical comabt are in fact rpgs, you sir are an idiot.

You said they were synonymous, as if you were implying that X-COM is an RPG. Idiot.

If you believe that success in combat rewarded by tresure iis not an element of almost rpgs then you havn't played many.

Which would be the only rewards in Oblivion and Morrowind, whereas other games provide experience, faction improvements, meaningful reputation affects, and different outcomes for the ending, maybe even different quests later down the line. Moron.

If, on the other hand, you are just trying to score some easy points with whatever idiots don't immediatley dismiss your logic. Congratulations, you have earned the respect of the ignorant.

Dumbfuck.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Perhaps, Volly, but you're forgetting one detail:
BG is DEAD."

So is Morrowind so they're equal in that regard. :D

Zomg

Arbiter
Hay guys I have a lot of unarticulated opinions I think you should share OK?

Vault Dweller

Developer
Joe Krow said:
Are you sure? Eliminate those two elements from almost any rpg and your not going to be left with much.
What's the difference between Fallout and its console dumb cousin, FO: Brotherhood of Steel then? Or Morrowind and Oblivion? I mean, both games have plenty of items and combat, yet you consider Oblivion a misstep. Why?

Fallout, Balder's Gate, you name it- rpg and tactical combat are practically synonomous....
Yet you consider Morrowind a good RPG. Does it have tactical combat?

Combat and items are 90% of the genre.
So, a recipe for RPG is FPS + items? You should apply for a job at Bethesda. I'll give you a good reference letter.

Joe Krow

Erudite
Bradylama said:

You said they were synonymous, as if you were implying that X-COM is an RPG. Idiot.

If you believe that success in combat rewarded by tresure iis not an element of almost rpgs then you havn't played many.

Which would be the only rewards in Oblivion and Morrowind, whereas other games provide experience, faction improvements, meaningful reputation affects, and different outcomes for the ending, maybe even different quests later down the line. Moron.

Dumbfuck.

Your not getting it eh?

Do me a favor and show me where I said all games with tactical combat are rpgs... the quote you gave is saying the opposite.

While your at it make me a list of these amazing rpgs that don't have combat rewarded with items.

While your at it shut the fuck up.

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
Joe Krow said:
Morrowind created a wide open world of hand placed items and enemies...
Formatted for awesomeness.

Your choices had consequences ...
Like?

For me it was a success and I hope to see something simalar in FA3.
Another wide open world of itams and monstars? Where can I preorder?

Choices and - OMGAWD!!! - consequences in action. No wonder you don't like them.

Oh, god, not again. I explained it to you before VD... about 10 times.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Do me a favour then, Ghan, and repeat your lesson. If you don't mind, of course.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom