Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Spoony plays Final Fantasy XIII

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Spoony's Final Fantasy reviews are some of the most hilarious (and insightful) videos I've seen in a long time. I have high expectations for this one...

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
I really enjoyed this, the tears of laughter are still rolling down my face. Nice find Infinitron.

Gozma

Arcane
Spoony is so annoying and unfunny and tryhard yet I still kinda like him. He is like the platonic ideal of a grimy stripmall hobby shop inhabitant. He is the bad internet video person I am comfortable with, like if an M. Emmet Walsh character were your dad

Angthoron

Arcane
Spoony is so annoying and unfunny and tryhard yet I still kinda like him. He is like the platonic ideal of a grimy stripmall hobby shop inhabitant. He is the bad internet video person I am comfortable with, like if an M. Emmet Walsh character were your dad
And yet he's still better than about 99% of the "Internet entertainers" out there.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Haven't watched Spoony since the Ultima 4 video I think but I think he's one of the few tolerable "internet personalities" or whatever outside SA.

Not gonna watch this though.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I kind of don't like how he lost focus at the end of the video and would have preferred a steadier and more thorough takedown of the game, but yeah, it wasn't bad.

Angthoron

Arcane
I kind of don't like how he lost focus at the end of the video and would have preferred a steadier and more thorough takedown of the game, but yeah, it wasn't bad.
He seems to be getting closer to the "old Spoony" version of videos though, like proper displays of "aggravation" and stuff. One of the things I've liked about him was how he sounded genuinely excited or aggravated about things he would talk about, and that was kinda missing during the "shitty years of Spoony". I know, illness/personal issues and stuff played a role, but I'm guessing that being part of the "Channel Awesome" probably also largely influenced the format, especially the whole LARP sketches business he had going on for a bit. This looks more like what he used to be.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
He seems to be getting closer to the "old Spoony" version of videos though, like proper displays of "aggravation" and stuff. One of the things I've liked about him was how he sounded genuinely excited or aggravated about things he would talk about, and that was kinda missing during the "shitty years of Spoony". I know, illness/personal issues and stuff played a role, but I'm guessing that being part of the "Channel Awesome" probably also largely influenced the format, especially the whole LARP sketches business he had going on for a bit. This looks more like what he used to be.

That I agree with. Well, except for the apology about the gay thing (? don't even remember what that was exactly)

Machocruz

Arcane
A truly disgusting game. And there are people who like it and defend it. There really are no depths to which humanity won't sink.

Angthoron

Arcane

That I agree with. Well, except for the apology about the gay thing (? don't even remember what that was exactly)
I think that was probably done as an ironic apology in line with what he said about the rest of the series, like "I called that super gay while I had no idea how much more gay it'll be now"

Oh, and the gay thing was, IIRC, the "Dramatic opening" of FF8 with the dudes swordfighting, and Spoony singing Gay Gay Supergay Ultragay Gay to the tune. To be fair, the intro was pretty gay.

Sul

Savant
I hate how he pick only one minor aspect of the game and constantly bitch about it for half of the video while there's bigger problems around. Well, let's wait for part 2.
It also boggles my mind how he disliked the combat system from FFXII when it's the exactly same system from older FF except this time you can position your characters around the battlefield (something that he complained about FFXIII).

Monocause

Arcane
Never played FFXIII and never will, but he was indeed trying too hard with FFVIII. I never expected him to accept that FF series post-VII were all about mashing all sorts of senseless shit together because it would run contrary to the whole angle of his review; I do think he should at least mention that FF8 did feature some of the best CGI direction I've ever seen in a video game.

http://youtu.be/Zuc62lLk6kQ?t=12m17s

(If linking doesn't work as intended fast forward to around 12:17). If modern western AAA games coupled this kind of attention to detail with modern rendering technology playing them could be actually worthwhile.

It's a fun thing about FF8 - I played it first when I was a kid, and I loved the battles and the story while the cutscenes bored me. I recently tried to replay it and I found the mechanics stupid, the gameplay tedious, repetitive and unrewarding but the cutscenes to be top notch.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
http://youtu.be/Zuc62lLk6kQ?t=12m17s

(If linking doesn't work as intended fast forward to around 12:17). If modern western AAA games coupled this kind of attention to detail with modern rendering technology playing them could be actually worthwhile.

It's a fun thing about FF8 - I played it first when I was a kid, and I loved the battles and the story while the cutscenes bored me. I recently tried to replay it and I found the mechanics stupid, the gameplay tedious, repetitive and unrewarding but the cutscenes to be top notch.
Same here, well actually, I was just a dumb kid who didn't realize how much the gameplay sucked (and yet kept never finishing the game, so I knew subconciously), but I loved the cutscenes even as a kid.

Imagine how I felt when I heard they were making a Final Fantasy movie, and the disappointment when it came out.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Yeah, will admit this one felt alot more unfocused than his prior Final Fantasy reviews, and I hope he doesn't dedicate as much time to nitpicking with his next video. Though in this one he's beginning to touch up on bigger problems like the complete lack of exposition.

Giauz Ragnacock

Scholar
A truly disgusting game. And there are people who like it and defend it. There really are no depths to which humanity won't sink.

I enjoyed the game (mostly because it contained some battles that could curbstomp me, but I enjoyed figuring them out), but "like" is too simple (some elements of the game and facets of elements I liked but a lot of the game left me wondering what was Square's direction in the design process). I will not defend the game. There were a few details in Spoony's video that made me doubt Spoony had played the game recently, but the main thrust of his criticism is valid.

Ion Prothon II

Liturgist
Spoony is doing now what sdmudboy does with Ass Effects, pointing out minor inconsitencies and stuff. It's not yet this mindfucking nonsense one could see in FF8 or FFXs.
But it's just the first video, I expect it to get 'better' soon. :popcorn:

SearchEngine

Learned
To be honest, in this video, he doesn't even seem to be trying. The whole dragging each inconsistency for 15 minutes just screams of padding.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
I love Spoony. Occasionally inconsistent but fuck it, the dude can be hilarious at times. Is this as good as FFX playthrough?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Spoony's Final Fantasy reviews are some of the most hilarious (and insightful) videos I've seen in a long time. I have high expectations for this one...

My thoughts exactly.

Whisky said:
Spent way too much time on minor shit.

Dude, spending tons of time on minor details is like the core of any good Spoony review. Looking forward to this.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
I do think he should at least mention that FF8 did feature some of the best CGI direction I've ever seen in a video game.
But almost everything that happens in those videos is ridiculous and unintentionally (?) hilarious. I haven't played the game and I probably never will, so I don't know if the game is "supposed" to be like that or not, but it seemed to me like many of the jokes in that review practically wrote themselves. I laughed most at the parts where Spoony was just showing the game and not really saying anything.

Looking forward to watching this review.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom