Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Spoony plays Final Fantasy XIII

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Spoony is doing now what sdmudboy does with Ass Effects, pointing out minor inconsitencies and stuff. It's not yet this mindfucking nonsense one could see in FF8 or FFXs.
But it's just the first video, I expect it to get 'better' soon. :popcorn:
You know, I would pay to see a rerelease with those little quotes and one of them being:

"... mindfucking nonsense..." - RPG Codex

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
FF13 had its one moment. You struggle to reach a village that supposedly has the answers to all your questions. When you get there, after hours of fighting, feeling that well, finally, you will reach a town... all you get is a ruin. A snowy ruin, with sad music.

This was actually a beautiful moment, but also an ironic one. I shared the character's disappointments (another fake lead for them, another hallway/corridor for me instead of a town). This was meta in an unpurposed way ; somehow, this is the only good memory I have of this game.

And I still XIII-2 waiting to be played. I never learn.

Ermm

Erudite
I can't believe how unfunny I found Spoony nowadays. Watching his FFVIII review when it first appeared was fucking hysterical, and I also laughed while watching his X-Files, Johnny Mnemonic game reviews, and now, I cannot even smile at any of his reviews, including this one. I then tried to rewatch his old reviews (including FFVIII) and my face was stone cold. I don't know why I thought all of it was funny back in 2006, but it sure is not funny for me now. Yeah, sure, I watch his new reviews, but if anything, they sure are not funny for me at all. Usually he just points at some really nonsensical plot/design detail, which in itself would be funny, but he runs the possible joke into the ground. Can't really explain it. Like in his ''The Ring'' video game review with that funny farting sound. Yes, I laughed at that moment, but he just show himself laughing hysterically at least a minute. Thanks, spoon, for ruining my moment.

Yeah, sure, his points are mostly valid, but by being valid doesn't make you entertaining.

Spoonyone's reviews for me is like that movie ''Problem Child.'' You laughed your ass off while watching it at a certain age, and years after you would think why did you laughed at this nonsense.

Lightknight

Liturgist
Meh. Maybe pre-vlog Spoony could still interest me to take a look, but modern Spoony is...another thing is knowing he is mentally unstable...uh...no.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Well, although I was never a fan of Spoony and I didn't think this video was that great, he still seemed a lot more similar to the Spoony of the old days. There's no dumb skits or cameos from other internet "celebrities" and even his dog (The one he has a Twitter account for...) doesn't appear. If you liked old Spoony it's worth a look I suppose.

And I still XIII-2 waiting to be played. I never learn.

Maybe this will stop you:

Ermm

Erudite
Well, although I was never a fan of Spoony and I didn't think this video was that great, he still seemed a lot more similar to the Spoony of the old days.

Funny thing is, I don't even find Spoony of the old days funny at all. Believe me, try to rewatch. It's not because you've heard all the jokes before, but really, even all of his earlier work is genuinely unfunny. But I can understand if someone thinks differently, since I thought he was funny back when he first appeared.

Maybe this will stop you:

[/QUOTE]

Heh, sounds a lot like all those cheap japanese anime American intro's like Beyblade, Yugioh etc. only more aggressive.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Heh, sounds a lot like all those cheap japanese anime American intro's like Beyblade, Yugioh etc. only more aggressive.
As I just posted, XIII-2 is a better "game", the gameplay is more interesting and varied, not to mentio more chalenging. Hte problem is that they went full retard on the rest; playing as a lolita, choosing clothes to wear, collecting pokemon & dressig them up, mass effect costume DLC, tons of j-pop... I can easily glance over that sort of thing, but stay REALLY far from it if you can't stand it.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I also hear that XIII-2 is pretty non-linear thanks to the time travelling "node"-based system it uses, with lots of side areas, secrets, collectibles, and good exploration. I love stuff like that so I might check it out some day.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
A little bit much on the :deadhorse:
Otherwise :3/5:
Speaking of Plinkett (Red letter media) he reviewed Titanic.
Good watch for me.

Ermm

Erudite
As I just posted, XIII-2 is a better "game", the gameplay is more interesting and varied, not to mentio more chalenging. Hte problem is that they went full retard on the rest; playing as a lolita, choosing clothes to wear, collecting pokemon & dressig them up, mass effect costume DLC, tons of j-pop... I can easily glance over that sort of thing, but stay REALLY far from it if you can't stand it.

Believe me, I can be quite tolerant on that sort of thing, but that music was quite funny. I fully expected ''Chocobo, gotta catch em all,'' at any moment.

Just listen to this, and tell me that it is not almost the same thing, only in FFXIII-2 it is much more aggressive.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I also hear that XIII-2 is pretty non-linear thanks to the time travelling "node"-based system it uses, with lots of side areas, secrets, collectibles, and good exploration. I love stuff like that so I might check it out some day.
You should Bee, is quite a good game, and it has a interesting LARP system with dialog choices & actual consequences.

Sul

Savant
Don't forget about the VA. While the voice actors are not bad they managed to chose completely unsuitable voices that don't match with the characters at all, this is more evident on the main antagonist.
Of course, nothing is worse than FFX.

Thank god we have FFXII though. Not only the VA is superb but the writing is pretty good too.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
You should Bee, is quite a good game, and it has a interesting LARP system with dialog choices & actual consequences.
That sounds suspiciously un-jRPG-like? And the song does not even have mangled English. What's going on in here?!
Well, as far as I know, FFXIII-2 was a "let's go wild" game, where they tried every idea they had in mind, with no restrictions. Thus, it has multiple endings, monster collecting, dialog choices, costume choices, tons of J-Pop, some weird QTE-like battles and even romance. The dialog choices affect heavily the ending, but, in a very interesting mechanic, you can travle back in time and change them. Very neat.

ffxiii2-dec01-11.jpg

I think it's a fair attempt, throw everything on the wall and see what sticks. FFX-2 did something like this, but was way more tame, and you can see how that evolved into FFXIII combat.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Wanna know the funny thing? It was actually a desperate move by Microsoft & BioWare trying to promote the Xbawks and the Mass Effect series in Japan; not SE trying to cash in on the ME series, as it would appears. :P

They even did AssCreed costumes:

132dlc13_thumb.jpg

Western publishers trying so hard to make japs care for their AAA+ games... :roll:

RK47

Patron
..Well. it doesn't even make sense...since when another RPG has a fuckin costume from another developer's RPG?
I just don't get it. Where do the fuck do they get this idea from?
It'd be like Space marine suddenly having N7 skins. That's just stupid.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
..Well. it doesn't even make sense...since when another RPG has a fuckin costume from another developer's RPG?
I just don't get it. Where do the fuck do they get this idea from?
It'd be like Space marine suddenly having N7 skins. That's just stupid.

RK47

Patron
Dead Space 2 still belongs to EA right.
I meant why did Squeenix let it happen? Was there even a demand? Is it even official?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
It's easy to see, FFXIII-2 was released in december in jp, and when ME3 got released in march, suddenly a ME costume appeared for the biggest console selling game at the time... they were desperatly trying to gain some market, to generate awareness on their games. Look at how pitiful this is, ME3 sold only 8k copies at release week in Japan...

We don't get this feeling here, but the east completly ignores some of our most "famous" games... my friend there is a "gamer" and works at Square and had never heard of Skyrim or even Steam before I showed her. But while I get BioWare and Ubisoft trying to use FF popularity to enter the market, I have no idea what Square gains from it... besides, it's pretty dumb to try to promote your game by SELLING costumes of a charater no one cares about...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom