Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Spoony plays Final Fantasy XIII

Sul

Savant
...(I'm all for chainmail bikinis in high-fantasy settings), it's just seems like, as I said before, the devs pointed their fingers while blindfolded at some character designs from other games, selected random pieces of armor from these characters and then made the new design without giving it much tough.

Bah! I'll take something the artists had fun with (in games that have traditionally been more meta-fantasy than being simulation) over not giving a crap. Though, I suppose RPG design "morals" are relelative to each individual.
It's perfectly feasible in a high-fantasy setting to have a barbarian woman wearing chainmail bikini or a bandit/marauder wearing breast plate, but a knight of justice and order, protector of the weak and guardian of many worlds wearing something that looks like bondage gear? Please nigga this gotta to be a joke.

Giauz Ragnacock

Scholar
It's only a joke when you can't make it look consistent with the rest of the setting. If you put someone in chainmail bikini all other characters that have the same hole [sic] as her (barbarian for example) need to be dressed in a similar fashion, otherwise it'll just look out of place.

I agree... that men with vaginas should dress like that :troll:

But seriously, if the artist had decided to model her attire off of western medieval/futurist concepts we would have ended up with something that seems logical. Instead we have something that is fairly benign, but for many there isn't enough headspace to understand you can do what you want with your creation and flip everyone else the bird. The point of my argument is not whether you like the work or not- please keep your opinion- but don't bother backing it up with reasons the design should be different because the discussion concerns something completely subjective and up to the artist.

Sul

Savant
It's only a joke when you can't make it look consistent with the rest of the setting. If you put someone in chainmail bikini all other characters that have the same hole [sic] as her (barbarian for example) need to be dressed in a similar fashion, otherwise it'll just look out of place.

I agree... that men with vaginas should dress like that :troll:

But seriously, if the artist had decided to model her attire off of western medieval/futurist concepts we would have ended up with something that seems logical. Instead we have something that is fairly benign, but for many there isn't enough headspace to understand you can do what you want with your creation and flip everyone else the bird. The point of my argument is not whether you like the work or not- please keep your opinion- but don't bother backing it up with reasons the design should be different because the discussion concerns something completely subjective and up to the artist.
The artist can suck my dick. Visual consistency is one of the basic aspects of world building.

Weierstraß

Learned
Project: Eternity
Final Fantasy XIII is not only the best game in the series, nor only the best JRPG but the best RPG and video game of all time and Spoony is dumb and mean for making fun of it!

Maiandros

Learned
Possibly Retarded
Any of the infinitely more learned than me gentlemen people here care to comment on FF games in relation to their 2 online offspring? Curious as to what your take would be

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Any of the infinitely more learned than me gentlemen people here care to comment on FF games in relation to their 2 online offspring? Curious as to what your take would be

The MMORPGs?
Not to be edgy, but everything i hear speaks of 11 as grindy with ridiculous HP bloat, I remember something about a boss a mob of players were attacking non-stop for days and they still haven't beaten the crap out of him, and then the server crashed or something.
14 was so shit, Squeenix had to do some serious damage control to save some face. Last I heard they're in the process of gearing up for a relaunch with a version that's not completely shit.

MMORPGs aren't my cup of tea anyway, at the end of the day, they're really just glorified graphical chatrooms.

Maiandros

Learned
Possibly Retarded
everything i would not say, but plenty of issues, sure..they are losing a lot of income as of late, or at least were prior to 'absolution'?. If the rebirth of FF14 doesn't do good they will be facing an even worse of a shitstorm. That monstrocity has cost them so, so much.

Maiandros

Learned
Possibly Retarded
yeah..EvE is on the opposite spectrum for sure..though we shall see what is the direction CCP really is after once we know more about WoD (a sensitive issue for many here i know, i mean it in the sense of how they will/are using their profits. Saying this as that DUST thing rings bells of decline and worry.

DraQ

Arcane
Of course there's worse stuff, but that doesn't change the fact that her armor looks retarded.
And I disagree about her armor looking tame by Morrowind standards, while by no means pratical it was consistent with the setting. You had stuff like chitin, bonemold and glass, everything propely explained on the lore and represented visually in the game. Chitin was crearly insectoid carapaces from different sizes and shapes put together, you could see the cracks on the bonemold armor caused by the smashed bone that was glued together by some kind of resin and later dried, glass were just shards put on strategic spots to deflect blows on an armor made of metal.
There is one more important aspect people tend to overlook. Morrowind armour was armour. It maximized coverage.

Maiandros

Learned
Possibly Retarded
Very sensible observation :)
Looking at it thus, i cannot really recall the last time i saw a Samurai wearing a steel-link bikini while engaging himself in combat. Maybe the bad China men imported commie censorship, so everyone had to attire themselves properly once more prior to heading to battle. Thankfully for the masses, anime eventually came along and the long awaited liberation of sense, senses and sensibility finally bloomed all over that far away eastern heaven. Now everyone had to shave what with their legs being bare, and Gilette finally started exporting, thus gratifying the long dormant capitalist doctrine, further eroding any sense of difference and diversity.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
FF XIII was one of the very few games I had to return within 1 hour of playing it because I could not take the stupid anymore. Maybe if the combat had been engaging- but nope.

But no joke, FFXIII is a beautiful game. When it came out the graphics were jaw-dropping, amazing, stellar- and when you look at its CGI and the in-game graphics now it still looks nothing short of fantastic.

What a waste of money and talent!

I can easily believe the clusterfuck that's the story after experiencing the inanity of X. Everything after 6 is shit.

Hey, 12 was good. Story was still a clusterfuck, but in a good way.

Maybe there is a cycle and FF18 will be good?

DraQ

Arcane
FF XIII was one of the very few games I had to return within 1 hour of playing it because I could not take the stupid anymore. Maybe if the combat had been engaging- but nope.

But no joke, FFXIII is a beautiful game. When it came out the graphics were jaw-dropping, amazing, stellar- and when you look at its CGI and the in-game graphics now it still looks nothing short of fantastic.

What a waste of money and talent!
I guess it might be entertaining to play it stoned out of your fucking mind, or otherwise wasted - the hallway design would probably help in such case too.

Ermm

Erudite
final fantas y XIII is most underrated mesteirpiece of all time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OF ALL TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom