Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Spoony plays Final Fantasy XIII

HotSnack

Cipher
So is it just me, or is Spoony's site down?

Maiandros

Learned
Possibly Retarded
I didn't know who this 'Spooney' was..i admit now that i do, i fervently wish i had him close so i could cave his ugly face in..it's one thing to even remotely resemble an emo when you are past puberty and it is quite another to purposefully style yourself so as you may pass the 'oh,am i not so geeky' 'test'..i assume it is a standard one must maintain for a successful youtube persona?..amazing intellect..
and speaking of which, i closed the explorer when he started whining about the sewers in Ultima..what a fucking moron;

Why oh why do you debase yourselves watching that shit? Fuck him, and fuck anyone of you watching him, or any other moron like him..
lack of brains is one thing, nature can't be helped..lack of maturity however...ah..ain't life a hard bitch at times..

Maiandros

Learned
Possibly Retarded
aw, i am so dreadfully sorry..is he your hero? Your virtual idol of moronic potential realised with the outmost of pixelated ease?

(you won't block me on your..youtube channel..will you? I'd hate to even conceive of life moving forward should that come to be)

roll-a-die

Magister
I didn't know who this 'Spooney' was..i admit now that i do, i fervently wish i had him close so i could cave his ugly face in..it's one thing to even remotely resemble an emo when you are past puberty and it is quite another to purposefully style yourself so as you may pass the 'oh,am i not so geeky' 'test'..i assume it is a standard one must maintain for a successful youtube persona?..amazing intellect..
and speaking of which, i closed the explorer when he started whining about the sewers in Ultima..what a fucking moron;

Why oh why do you debase yourselves watching that shit? Fuck him, and fuck anyone of you watching him, or any other moron like him..
lack of brains is one thing, nature can't be helped..lack of maturity however...ah..ain't life a hard bitch at times..
Oh look someone has been a member for less than a month. Time to educafumate.

Let me put it this way. Spoony is a 20 year gamer, he's not culturing up or shifting his opinion in the slightest. That's really how he thinks. More than that, TASTE IS NOT FUCKING UNIVERSAL! His criticism is also almost always relavant, because, He watches and plays everything with an eye for inconsistency. He's not looking generally at what's bad in a game, he's looking at what doesn't fit, and is THUS bad.

Why the fuck is the Avatar after Ultima 7 so fucking depowered for Underworld 2. Where's my kill anything sword. I don't think I'd fucking set that down somewhere? Would the motherfucking Avatar, god king of the virtues, actually let himself slip in his training like that? Has it been years? Has it been months? Earth time or Britanian Time? These are all inconsistencies fighting to drag down an otherwise good game. Cluster fuck UI, and shit like that also drag it down. Underworld 2 is a good game to some, not to this critic in question, and voicing his opinion is good he does so in a mostly constructive manner. Honestly, you'll note, he fucking loves the Ultima series. He did a retrospective on it in memory of his brother. And to inform the public of what happens to game series over time.

That said, Critics like spoony aren't, repeat ARE NOT, liked universally on the codex. There is no RPGCodex Hivemind, that's a joke on the perception of outside individuals on the codex believing that GD is the entirety of the codex. There is more dissenting opinion here than almost any other forum including 4chan I've come across.

In my opinion, he's a good critic, especially now that he's not on "Team Awesome." So he can actually just review shit like he used to without having a metaplot universe following him around.

In short, fuck off, you aren't being edgy as a dissenting opinion. If you are going to be a dissenting opinion, portray it better. Don't be skyway and assume everyone on the codex is one entity, over my 3-4 years on here now, I've counted around 40-50 regular unique individuals and 20-30 alts. Around 20 of those regulars only post in GD, but oh well.

As an elaboration, I have discussions that are exactly the same as some of the stuff spoony talks about in his reviews, with my other 20-30 year gamer friends. BLAH BLAH BLAH, bad interface design. BLAH BLAH BLAH, fart joke.

Literally you have never had more fun laughing than having a similar aged friend fart, excuse himself and then the person next to him who is around 50 shout, "KHAN!"

Maiandros

Learned
Possibly Retarded
If your attempt to, let me quote you, "educafumate" me, is by your standards involving my signup date and "FART JOKES" (am i quoting you accurately?) i believe we shall happily, to your satisfaction, come to agree that i am indeed very uneducated a person. And shall willfully remain so.
Taste and style better be different, i will not disagree. Diversity is a healthy sign if nothing else, am with you on that, however..there are ways..and ways by which one gets to demostrate that. More so when those that one selects make him appear like a moron simply because he will get his 'views' in such a manner?..seriously?
How much more lighter, dumber, shallower and less striving for a depth must our life become before we find it the limit? A personal thing..
[my jokes are horrid as well, sexist at times, racist at others, geeky most of the time..i refrain from making vids out of them however]

roll-a-die

Magister
If your attempt to, let me quote you, "educafumate" me, is by your standards involving my signup date and "FART JOKES" (am i quoting you accurately?) i believe we shall happily, to your satisfaction, come to agree that i am indeed very uneducated a person. And shall willfully remain so.
A: No, you're sign up date is indicative of your experience with the site. The fact that you referred to the codex as a whole when making a point about something that isn't the codex as a whole. Means that you likely have heard the RPG Codex hive mind.

Taste and style better be different, i will not disagree. Diversity is a healthy sign if nothing else, am with you on that, however... There are ways..and ways by which one gets to demonstrate that. More so when those that one selects make him appear like a moron simply because he will get his 'views' in such a manner? ...seriously?
Believe it or not, people like B Movie Sci Fi, and that's what channel awesome did. Spoony left, because of the increasing stupidity of the collaborations. Something like 20 people being main characters in a 1 hour movie didn't sit with his critical chops. He liked the movie, he said it was funny. But the production being as hasty as it was, meant that it was stupidly hard to film for, and no one got the proper amount of screentime. He also didn't like that the alleged goal of channel awesome, bringing together all the disparate critics on the internet and having them work together, and gain some hits. Generally just meant that the channel awesome website got more hits, and his site basically wallowed.

How much more lighter, dumber, shallower and less striving for a depth must our life become before we find it the limit? A personal thing...
He actually didn't get more shallow, his reviewing segments just added time for sketches.

[my jokes are horrid as well, sexist at times, racist at others, geeky most of the time..i refrain from making vids out of them however]
I may have been an aids ridden hookers cunt hair away from understanding your points. Mostly because you talked like a frog in a chink suit. So I had to roll a d20 and determine the proper point via random generation.

roll-a-die

Magister
Nah, his writing style is too far different from normal posters.

And you folks should know by now, I always rise to the bait. I enjoy a good argument even if it's with a fake person.

I fucking argued with Miniature Higher Game, nomask for Christ sake.

Maiandros

Learned
Possibly Retarded
i am not an alt really, it has been mentioned elsewhere as well..am merely your humble next-door Jew old-time lurker finally deciding to sign up and relish in the decline, hate and utter popamole that circulates in between worthy yet rare a post. Jew's scout's honour and everything.

roll-a-die likewise :)

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Awesome videos. I never imaged a game could be so shitty. The whole Tekken Arcade mode gameplay, things like the absurd boomerang and magic antler combo, the "plot" with that trench-coat surfer dude and his loli moe waifu who gets surprise stargated and the weird negro and his afro-dwelling mini-chicken must be the dumbest crap I have yet to witness. Even that creepy pigeon-dating game seems sane and healthy by comparison.

EruDaan

Arcane
I really like his Ultima-Reviews. Some of his reactions are hilarious. He's not always adressing the "right" or "important" points but he's got the right spirit. And he hates EA... that's a +1 in my book.

Froglok

Educated
I like spoony, but I must admit the 15 minute rants about little shit like why the robes are glowing etc can be pretty irritating

I'll take spoony over TotalFatass or Angry Cholo any day

Drakron

Arcane
Awesome videos. I never imaged a game could be so shitty.

I dont think many would, even if I had issues with FF XII at least there are excuses for what lead to it ending up as that and the combat system was kinda fun playing.

I remember going to /v/ back on the Japanese release because I had no idea how the game was, apparently the Japanese pretty much had no problems in saying the fucking thing as a linear corridor as that was repeated in /v/ and I knew it was going to be shit.

Still got a 40/40 from that Japanese magazine dumbasses like to bring about when it comes to scores.

Also after all the 10/10 GotY crap and with XIII-2 coming there were glimpses to why FF XIII was such a piece of shit, it seems they produced concept art and that PS3 trailer but that was it, they had huge problems with the engine and the writing ... lets say what I understand was "we are writing what the art department have made" and that is why its a disjointed PoS because there was never a fucking idea of WHAT to do, only making a excuse for a scene the CGI come up before.

FF XV seems to be on the same boat as every FF since FF XIII and there will be a FF XIII-3 because they got NOTHING, Versus is likely to be a PS4 game at the rate things are going , ever since the merger Square seem to been unable to actually do something without fucking it up.

Giauz Ragnacock

Scholar
Kalin and Drakron : I must disagree. For all the game's shortcomings (a weird creation-myth backstory, barely interactive maps that are functionally a straight line, no npcs to give you hints, and nothing that didn't have to do with the main story for those hints to lead to, etc...) the battles were rivetting, lead to quite a few party deaths, and put more focus on using all your abilities than did previous titles and most RPGs for that matter. For once, you can start using all your most powerful attacks in battles as soon as you acquire them because you now have an inexhaustable resource (time instead of MP, though there are still 5 technique points for more tactical abilities that take a bit of work or a rare item to regen) that needs to be used wisely (stronger attacks take longer to charge for and also limit what else you can do at that time). The subtle use of positioning, AI manipulation, and the secondary goal of keeping your leader safe in battle were all touches I have grown to appreciate. I would not rank it with some truly horribad games like farmville and Wwii shovelware, but I respect your opinion that it feels terrible.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Less people would whine about FF-XIII if it didn't take so fucking long to atcually get full party control and play a *real* battle... me and my brother both beated the game, but he asked me like 3 times if the game would get better and open up, and how much more he would have to play to get there...

Giauz Ragnacock

Scholar
Less people would whine about FF-XIII if it didn't take so fucking long to atcually get full party control and play a *real* battle... me and my brother both beated the game, but he asked me like 3 times if the game would get better and open up, and how much more he would have to play to get there...

I couldn't get my brother to try it out. I showed him a few battles and the final battle, but he was turned off by my use of some (victory-saving, mind you) repetitious combos (even though I frequently had to break sequence to paradigm shift or otherwise change gears to not lose/progress at a glacial pace). He wasn't very keen on not getting an airship or seeing no towns, either (Bethesda games since Morrowind, and some of Bioware's stuff now satisfies one of those conditions for him).

What's your opinion on Spoony's review so far? I mostly agree with his points (and his rage is ever so usually entertaining), but every once in a while during the review I pick up on something that I remember being pretty clear in the game or something while not explained does not require much imagination to fit into the universe (I could rewatch the videos to compile a list of nitpicks, but I think I'm the only person here that got annoyed).

Drakron

Arcane

I played Ar Tonelico 2.

It does not explain some things, I had to check the ingame glossary to understand but it was a sequel and only did it for a few terms, most stuff was actually explained when it did not come from Ar Tonelico.

Point if I look at two games that should operate about the same I have a PS2 game that is far superior, at least it had TOWNS and the combat system was not just using Replekia again and again (even if it certainly helped) and once I cornered myself with a S rank IPD (those are optional fights, mostly) I simply had to fight when I could not even handle a B rank one, managed to do it but throwing everything I had at it and lucked out it was not one of the hardest S types (that meas, ones with mobs attached, those sucked) but still a hell of a fight I barely beaten,

FF XIII does not have depth, the series been nerfed in combat since X and its not harder because its real time or other BS since only X was turn base and Ar Tonelico 2 is real time with a action bar AND there is timing involved, sure its gets easier at the highest levels because you get used to it, the curve is there and its the same because you can just skip and go after harder enemies and get your asses kicked more that a few times.

Giauz Ragnacock

Scholar

I played Ar Tonelico 2.

It does not explain some things, I had to check the ingame glossary to understand but it was a sequel and only did it for a few terms, most stuff was actually explained when it did not come from Ar Tonelico.

Point if I look at two games that should operate about the same I have a PS2 game that is far superior, at least it had TOWNS and the combat system was not just using Replekia again and again (even if it certainly helped) and once I cornered myself with a S rank IPD (those are optional fights, mostly) I simply had to fight when I could not even handle a B rank one, managed to do it but throwing everything I had at it and lucked out it was not one of the hardest S types (that meas, ones with mobs attached, those sucked) but still a hell of a fight I barely beaten,

FF XIII does not have depth, the series been nerfed in combat since X and its not harder because its real time or other BS since only X was turn base and Ar Tonelico 2 is real time with a action bar AND there is timing involved, sure its gets easier at the highest levels because you get used to it, the curve is there and its the same because you can just skip and go after harder enemies and get your asses kicked more that a few times.

I don't know that 13's battle system does have any depth, but having played 1-4, 6-7, KOTOR 1&2, JE and a few others I know from personal experience that a lot of battles in 13 required much more from me than all the battles from those previous games.

Also, I can't take your suggestions for other games to play. I tried playing games from my not insignificant gog.com que as recently as last night and no dice. My interest in playing games is caput and I suspect my fandom of them will eventually wain to nothing as well (my devotion to reading The CRPG Addict has been horrible for over a month now). 13 and an emulation of 3 for the Famicom were the last two games I can remember enjoying back in early-mid 2011 is all.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
What's your opinion on Spoony's review so far? I mostly agree with his points (and his rage is ever so usually entertaining), but every once in a while during the review I pick up on something that I remember being pretty clear in the game or something while not explained does not require much imagination to fit into the universe (I could rewatch the videos to compile a list of nitpicks, but I think I'm the only person here that got annoyed).
Meh, I never liked the guy, and the fact that he didn't like FF XII combat is enought for me to ignore his comments. The fact most of his review is ranting about the why's and how's of very minor stuff like save points, npc robes or the likes makes him even worse.

Besides, he clearly have a very strict idea on how a game must play and tell it's story and have trouble with stuff that don't fit his ideas. I find way more logic that non-vital info on areas be stored in a in-game database, giving more info to those into it and less exposition to the game, but he simply goes bitching on how he thinks that's retarded and won't read the database, only to get to his pc and check the wiki... :roll:

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Meh, I never liked the guy, and the fact that he didn't like FF XII combat is enought for me to ignore his comments. The fact most of his review is ranting about the why's and how's of very minor stuff like save points, npc robes or the likes makes him even worse.

Besides, he clearly have a very strict idea on how a game must play and tell it's story and have trouble with stuff that don't fit his ideas. I find way more logic that non-vital info on areas be stored in a in-game database, giving more info to those into it and less exposition to the game, but he simply goes bitching on how he thinks that's retarded and won't read the database, only to get to his pc and check the wiki... :roll:
Substituting a database for real exposition is shit.

And reading a wiki on your pc is easier than using a TV to read one.

He didn't really say whether he liked the combat system or not.

TigerKnee

Arcane
It's kind of a disappointing review because he doesn't seem to have a clear structure or idea on where he wants the review to go, he spends lots of time going on random tangents and just rambling instead of bring us to the end of the game...

which is kind of ironic, since that's what FF13 does too.

It's weird because he has 3 reviews of FF down his belt now so you think he would have gotten the science of it down pat.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Substituting a database for real exposition is shit. And reading a wiki on your pc is easier than using a TV to read one.
Do you really need that the characters explain to you, throught a exposition dialog, why the plants in a forest are made of crystal? Or what is the purpose of a robe some people wear? IMHO that sounds like a obsession of someone who spends to much time reading PnP extra books... and even if you need to, small database uodates occour throught the game, so you can just press select and read a small introdutory text about the new are/foe you are seeing. It seems way easier to me than getting up and turning on your PC to google the exact same text each time you have a doubt. Does he also google book footnotes instead or reading then?

He didn't really say whether he liked the combat system or not.
Yes he did, first thing in the review is him complaining that the series declined a lot, saying that FF VIII combat was better than the "weird pseud-real-time mmo fuckery that FF XII had". Not to mention he preferes the very simple leveling up system of VIII than the insanely better systems of X and XII, because "he doesn't have to waste time leveling up and understands what's going on". Can't really say I understand why he is praised here on the Codex...

insukk

Augur
Patron
Codex 2012
I agree, that leveling system in X is great in the sense, that player has choice on how to build each character. Also combat is turn-based, and yet fast and fluid. I really like that part of Final Fantasy saga, even if story is pretty dumb and Tidus just sucks. On the other hand there is one of the greatest characters in FF history - Auron. On my first playthrough he was the main reason of keeping me hooked to the TV.

But FF XII... OH. MY. GOD. I hate that game. Yes, the leveling system is similiar to that from FF X, but is so much more limiting to the player, and at the normal - grindless - playthrough each character ends with the same setup of skills. But my biggest gripe is combat. FF XII just plays itself. Player is needed only for steering characters through areas. After 20 hours i was tired, and after next 20 i was close to throwing my PS2 through window. Outdoors are open and big, dungeons are damn huge, but they all feel so lifeless and empty, which of course didn't improved my overall experience with this game. The only place that i had good memory with is Nam-Yensa and Ogir-Yensa. Yes, they also were lifeless, but that suited those environments in my opinion.

The story was there somewhere, i remember some judges, some kid and a sky pirate with a female elf companion, but that's it. It seemed to me, that the script was incomplete, but they've decided to roll with it. There was far too less dialogues for the 60 hours of gameplay. This is the only game so far, that made me really :x. And even after 5 years I'm still pissed at Square for releasing this boring crap.

If XIII is even worse, then i'm glad that i don't have PS3 / X360, and no plans to buy one, because if i know myself, i would end giving FF next chance. :P

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom