Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Stalker: Call of Pripyat modding

Gord

Arcane
Sir! Gentlemen never put off his exoskeleton, even in the presence of ladies.

:obviously:

On a different note, I just ran a few checks with GPU-Z. Seems that Completes textures are to blame. With them on max I pretty fast (within a few seconds) max out my entire vram (1 GB just doesn't cut it anymore these days).
I guess that after some time this is too much to handle either for the engine or my hardware which is why I see the drop in fps.
Will play a bit more with textures lowered to 75%. Vram stays at ~700 MB, will see how that turns out.

Ony other thing I can think of is that it's linked to certain weather effects, which is hard to track though, as they reset on reload.

By the way, when you get a Exoskeleton early, how do you utilise it?

Do you take it off while travelling, and put it back on before a fight starts?

Or do you keep it on all the time?

If you ask me, it's a dumb idea to get it before you acquired complete set of tools. But hey, if someone finds it fun to play this game without sprinting it's their bussiness.

And Gord, that's why I said you shouldn't max textures. When I was playing with 512 mb card I kept them on absolute minimum, and IMO they still looked better then maxed vanilla ones. You should be fine with keeping the slider at middle. Visual impact isn't that big and you can improve texture appearence with sharpening from FXAA injector.

DraQ

Arcane
If you ask me, it's a dumb idea to get it before you acquired complete set of tools.
Well I like being able to sprint, but that particular upgrade is really OP in CoP. It effectively removes the only major drawback exo has, making it very imbalanced.

Superb protection against combat damage, good protection against anomalies and environmental hazards, significantly increased carrying capacity AND being able to sprint without restrictions?

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
It still has shit anti-radiation protection. Don't know how much of a difference this makes in CoP, but in SoC I finished the game with the improved SEVA suit, because CNPP was such a bitch with all the radiation. But yeah, some of the tier3 upgrades are a bit wtf - I installed some weird shit on a Vintorez that allows me to see humans through walls apparently. Plus, maxed guns of any type seem hilariously overpowered in general.

Btw. Pripyat in CoP is so much more peaceful than in SoC, I've explored a fair bit and nobody sniped me from a balcony yet. There is also a distinct lack of random Monolith groups around every corner.

DraQ

Arcane
It still has shit anti-radiation protection. Don't know how much of a difference this makes in CoP, but in SoC I finished the game with the improved SEVA suit, because CNPP was such a bitch with all the radiation.
I used SEVA because inability to vacate the area fast is fatal if someone decides to blow this area with RPG. In NPP I switched to exo because of lots of room to room combat, and before the rooftops the rooftops I switched to Bułat/SKAT because I was going to fight in the open again.

Radiation is fairly easily mitigated with proper artifacts - crystals and urchins in SoC, bubbles in CS/CoP.

But yeah, some of the tier3 upgrades are a bit wtf - I installed some weird shit on a Vintorez that allows me to see humans through walls apparently.
Nah, only through light cover.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
RPGs aside, the inability to run is just frustrating in general. It's really hard to dodge grenades with an Exo too. Plus, I never felt like I needed the relatively small armor increase in SoC - you die from a few bullets anyway, best way to avoid death is to not get hit too much.

Btw. Fuck you DraQ for reminding me of those rooftops. I was trying to forget that even existed. The "fake" endings to SoC are superior just because they don't have that sequence.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Btw. Pripyat in CoP is so much more peaceful than in SoC, I've explored a fair bit and nobody sniped me from a balcony yet. There is also a distinct lack of random Monolith groups around every corner.
If you try to win the favour of every possible faction, the whole map turns green with friendly humans around and as the mutants are weakened, there are no more threats left in the Zone.

The idea behind CoP is that it's the last years of the dangerous times of the Zone, and now the Zone is going to be a well tamed tourist spot, except for its deep deep core. As you see from the ending slides, the Zone has been conquered and it will never be dangerous again.

By the way, it totally did not register with me until someone else pointed it out to me. There are no women in the STALKER games. But of course, why would there be women in the Zone? Unlike the unrealistic egalitarian medieval worlds of Forgotten Realms and Elder Scrolls games, this game shows what the Zone would be like if it were in real life. And the fact that there would be only men is so obvious, it does not register.

CorpseZeb

Learned
Well, frankly speaking, the same reason is for men for not being there... if we think about the same thing.

Ps. Yup, after SoC, CoP is very "friendly" place. "Green dots" bandits and other equally nice things. Years after years, SoC remains the best Stalker game, imho, imho.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Years after years, SoC remains the best Stalker game, imho, imho.
SoC remains the fullest, and the most locations and enemies-filled game, I would say.

By the way, who else finds that STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl really feels like a different game every time you replay it? I played it in 2006, and I didn't think much of it then. I replayed it at a slower pace in 2007-08, and I found myself fascinated by the option to skip missions one did not like and meta-game straight to the good parts, by its rusty post-apocalyptic feel, and by its "lore". I replayed again in 2010-11, and this time, it felt like a revolutionary game in its use of a dynamic, changing world. When I was impressed with CoP, I replayed SoC for a few hours again, and I realize SoC always had some of the content for which I liked CoP.

I must say that Shadow of Chernobyl - which I dismissed as a mediocre game in 2006 - really and slowly grew on me as time went. And I missed so much. Did anyone else find Charon - the leader of Monolith, who wields a rare, rapid-fire gun?

CorpseZeb

Learned
Yup, same here. Charon (and the Monolitian base) is one of the things, that made SoC great. You don't have go there, "into the heart of the evil", but... curiosity... Same goes for "fake endings" or "grant wisher" or "special quests from trader" (e.g "visiting" the soldier post near the start of game). There is something special in the SoC. Something... dunno... "oldschool".

Well I like being able to sprint, but that particular upgrade is really OP in CoP. It effectively removes the only major drawback exo has, making it very imbalanced.

Superb protection against combat damage, good protection against anomalies and environmental hazards, significantly increased carrying capacity AND being able to sprint without restrictions?

All I know is I would never want to explore these maps without ability to sprint. I do not hate my free time.

potatojohn

Arcane
By the way, it totally did not register with me until someone else pointed it out to me. There are no women in the STALKER games. But of course, why would there be women in the Zone? Unlike the unrealistic egalitarian medieval worlds of Forgotten Realms and Elder Scrolls games, this game shows what the Zone would be like if it were in real life. And the fact that there would be only men is so obvious, it does not register.
There is a woman in SoC in the duty camp.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Years after years, SoC remains the best Stalker game, imho, imho.
SoC remains the fullest, and the most locations and enemies-filled game, I would say.

By the way, who else finds that STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl really feels like a different game every time you replay it? I played it in 2006, and I didn't think much of it then. I replayed it at a slower pace in 2007-08, and I found myself fascinated by the option to skip missions one did not like and meta-game straight to the good parts, by its rusty post-apocalyptic feel, and by its "lore". I replayed again in 2010-11, and this time, it felt like a revolutionary game in its use of a dynamic, changing world. When I was impressed with CoP, I replayed SoC for a few hours again, and I realize SoC always had some of the content for which I liked CoP.

I must say that Shadow of Chernobyl - which I dismissed as a mediocre game in 2006 - really and slowly grew on me as time went. And I missed so much. Did anyone else find Charon - the leader of Monolith, who wields a rare, rapid-fire gun?

It simply feels like one of those special games for me, like PS:T, Thief or Homeworld, which may have major flaws, but you play them, and you simply know that you're probably never going to experience something like this ever again. I'm not going to try and quantify this feeling, that's just how it is.

Gord

Arcane
Is there a mod that adds fast-travel (between zones) to SoC?
Any opinions on good overhauls?
My biggest gripe with SoC has been the backtracking that could take ages when transversing several maps on foot.

CorpseZeb

Learned
Is there a mod that adds fast-travel (between zones) to SoC?
Any opinions on good overhauls? My biggest gripe with SoC has been the backtracking that could take ages when transversing several maps on foot. :oops:

Stallker Complete 2009 mod add a teleport feature as well as freeplay mode and some other smaller stuff (besides truckload of tastefully chosen textures, I'm generally not the fan of "re-texturing" activity that usually destroying original climate/climax, but... well... SoC Complete doesn't change too much, except crazy resolution of textures, so figures, I guess).

Ps. Hey, anyway, backtracking in the exo, is the very fine choice of gentlemen activity. Fast travel.. well... is like fast food, rarely worth tasting. But, that's taste matter, indeed.

Gord

Arcane
Obviously you have a level of gentlemanliness I can only hope to achieve for myself one fine day.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Btw. Fuck you DraQ for reminding me of those rooftops. I was trying to forget that even existed. The "fake" endings to SoC are superior just because they don't have that sequence.

No, they were superior just because they didn't have derpy reveal.

You'd think both the movie and the novel leaving the origin and purpose of the Zone intentionally ambiguous and unknowable would have clued GSC in on the fact that explaining EVERYTHING, in one huge burst of exposition no less, would not be such a good idea. In hindsight, the rooftop sequence afterwards was merely adding insult to injury.

opium fiend

Augur
Allow me a slight derail. What's the best mod for improving the experience of Clear Sky?

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
I finished Call of Pripyat, and I'm not entirely sure what to think of it. I enjoyed it a lot, but I don't know whether I like how all the changes worked out together relative to SoC (haven't played CS).

Obviously, CoP has better production, more polish, and better core gameplay. You actually do what a stalker should be doing most of the time, which is exploring, hunting mutants and looking for artifacts. There's none of SoC's "here's 30 bandits spread around a huge area, have fun!", In fact, I'm pretty sure you can avoid combat against other humans (zombies aside) until the plot forces you to do it in the Jupiter complex. It's also great that artifacts and missions are the most sensible way of getting money, as opposed to carrying 10 AKs back to a trader in SoC. Anomaly flields are pretty fun, although not especially dangerous, even on Master. Mutants are a fair incline, with Bloodsuckers actually being somewhat dangerous.

Overall, I'd say that "not especially dangerous" is my primary criticism of CoP. The areas feel like a theme park, where you can generally walk anywhere with little to no fear of encountering anything dangerous. Say what you want about how annoying respawning bandits and whirlgig anomalies in the middle of the road were in SoC, they contributed to the feeling of constant danger. You couldn't just sprint across the countryside towards your destination, and expect to be fine. In CoP you do this all the time. People warn you about the Jupiter complex being dangerous, but there's nothing there, save for a few dogs and a scripted mercenary encounter. Pripyat mostly has packs of dogs and rodents roaming about. It just feels very themeparkish and compartmentalized. Walk to objective without a care in the world, complete objective, walk back to claim reward. It doesn't help that the maps are fairly small. Slightly bigger maps and a greater density of mutants, bandits, hostile stalkers and random anomalies would have helped CoP a lot.

My second criticism would be the narrative. I'm not expecting crazy plot twists and superb writing from a Stalker game, but there's basically no plot in CoP. Even though SoC's plot was a bit of a trainwreck at the end, it nicely fit with the setting and themes of the game. I was intrigued and curious while playing SoC, and this, for instance, made locations like X18 a lot better. In CoP, it was more like "eh, I'm in the neighbourhood, guess I'll go check out this crash site". You spend most of the game looking for dudes, eventually find them, and then it's time to kill Monolith again. They sort of tried to make it into a story of all the people in the region, but didn't really characterize any of them properly. That said, gathering the squad and venturing into Pripyat was cool, and the ending was definitely the game's strong point. Way better than the abomination that was SoC's canon ending.

So I'm at a bit of a loss here. I can recognize that, as a game, CoP is superior. However, I had more fun with SoC, and it was a much more memorable experience in general. Is Clear Sky worth trying, bros?

opium fiend

Augur
Allow me a slight derail. What's the best mod for improving the experience of Clear Sky?
First-timer or not?

If yes, go for the starter pack: http://jumbofiles.com/lh6uylrnq5qs . It includes: Sky Reclamation Project, AtmosFear, Absolute Nature, Absolute Structures, Pistol Ironsights, plus other.

If no, I found OGSM CS pretty good. Other ppl recommend The Faction War.

Thanks. First timer, I finished SoC (with LURK mod, at times frustratingly hard) and CoP which was as the Cowboy says, too easy. Pity. I hope Clear Sky is more like the first game in that regard.

DraQ

Arcane
Overall, I'd say that "not especially dangerous" is my primary criticism of CoP. The areas feel like a theme park, where you can generally walk anywhere with little to no fear of encountering anything dangerous. Say what you want about how annoying respawning bandits and whirlgig anomalies in the middle of the road were in SoC, they contributed to the feeling of constant danger. You couldn't just sprint across the countryside towards your destination, and expect to be fine. In CoP you do this all the time. People warn you about the Jupiter complex being dangerous, but there's nothing there, save for a few dogs and a scripted mercenary encounter. Pripyat mostly has packs of dogs and rodents roaming about. It just feels very themeparkish and compartmentalized. Walk to objective without a care in the world, complete objective, walk back to claim reward. It doesn't help that the maps are fairly small. Slightly bigger maps and a greater density of mutants, bandits, hostile stalkers and random anomalies would have helped CoP a lot.
Wholeheartedly agreed.

You could technically sprint a lot in SoC, but you had to know the area well or you ended up suddenly crushed into a ball the size of your fist which then exploded for seemingly no reason.
Also, Svarog detector was overkill.

I disagree with running back to trader with weapons, because in SoC they were worth very little while also pretty heavy. Armour was more worthwhile, but overall it was the artifacts that were most profitable, plus you could pawn off excess consumables and ammo you generally collected anyway.

My second criticism would be the narrative. I'm not expecting crazy plot twists and superb writing from a Stalker game, but there's basically no plot in CoP. Even though SoC's plot was a bit of a trainwreck at the end, it nicely fit with the setting and themes of the game. I was intrigued and curious while playing SoC, and this, for instance, made locations like X18 a lot better. In CoP, it was more like "eh, I'm in the neighbourhood, guess I'll go check out this crash site". You spend most of the game looking for dudes, eventually find them, and then it's time to kill Monolith again. They sort of tried to make it into a story of all the people in the region, but didn't really characterize any of them properly. That said, gathering the squad and venturing into Pripyat was cool, and the ending was definitely the game's strong point. Way better than the abomination that was SoC's canon ending.
I actually enjoyed the story of CoP much more. It might not have had a lot of twists (like the one with Strelok), but it actually attempted (and somewhat succeeded) to make the original reveal less derpy. It also didn't have cringe worthy sidequests with cringe worthy writing (seriously, mutant parts sidequests for scientists, I literally cried while reading dialogue).

Of course, lack of something like x18 sucked, but I guess the lack of feeling of mystery was mostly caused by zone not being especially dangerous. Ok, Zone in CoP is still a pretty harsh place - you have to wear protective equipment, you may end up eaten, gunned down or die in an area with distorted laws of physics, but if you stayed sharp there was little actual danger. Zone in SoC was a place where you were happy to just have came back alive, coming back with loot and no extra holes was downright euphoric, and hardened veterans routinely drunk themselves unconscious to just to forget about some things they witnessed *other* than majority of their friends and acquaintances in the zone having died horribly, because that was actually one of the things they could have got used to.

So I'm at a bit of a loss here. I can recognize that, as a game, CoP is superior. However, I had more fun with SoC, and it was a much more memorable experience in general. Is Clear Sky worth trying, bros?
If you have money to burn or torrent at hand, then yes.

It's horribly broken, literally falls apart near the end (as in one guy threw the entire endgame together in one evening with the help of a crate of booze, then the game shipped without further testing or corrections), features inconsistencies, delayed game breaking bugs, lack of proper aiming with SPAS and grenade launchers (inherited by CoP), lack of proper aiming with pistols (fixed in CoP) and is very combat centric. It also has somewhat broken ballistics (most glaringly some projectiles just vanish past their designated effective range which is fucking short), homing grenades (with very limited blast radius) and selling guns is actually worthwhile.

Otoh it has effectively the harshest economy, artifacts are actually rare, anomaly fields are actually fucking dangerous , you can die very easily, and most of the area is SoC with improved (and often changed, but still consistent) area connectivity, plus two new excellent areas - swamps and Red Forest (different part).

Alas it misses any worthwhile dungeons (though Red Forest is definitely tense exterior) and ending areas are linear and mostly shit (Limansk has some interesting stuff - namely space bubbles - despite being linear, but it's still not particularly interesting, because it's effectively HL2 in an otherwise open game). Oh, bloodsuckers are annoying and suck. Poltergeists, OTOH, are ridiculously lethal (which is pretty cool) thankfully you may even avoid encountering any of them.

Visually it's about on CoP level.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom