Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

STALKER: Call of Pripyat video

fastpunk

Arbiter
Gerrard said:
Emotional Vampire said:
Actually artifacts were harder to find in SoC
Yeah, it was hard to go 5 meters off the road to pick them up.

QFT. In some places you basically trip over them (like the wild territory). I'd prefer if they made them really rare and much more valuable.

Stereotypical Villain said:
You trip over all of them, dumbfuck, and the ones that are supposed to be "rare" can be found in abundance if you explore the levels properly.

I will just have to assume you played the game for an hour and then quit because it didn't have turn-based combat.

That's where you failed your [Lore: The Codex] skill check, kid, because i'm the resident Stalker fanboy. - I've played through all the mods and the vanilla game several times over, and i repeat: artifacts are piss easy to find.

You won't because you can't.

Let's talk "über" artifacts - The spring, battery, mama's beads and pellicle.

- The spring and battery can be found quite easily by exploring the dark valley and the army warehouse.
- Mama's beads can be found when you first enter dark valley, you can get it from a quest, and it spawns in Pripyat.
- Pellicle can be found in the wild territory and you can get an infinite amount of them by doing missions for the scientists.

Then we have the best common artifacts, all of which has a chance of spawning in the wilderness, on a road, in the underground labs, everywhere but inside an anomaly field where they should be.

Clear Sky is clearly superior because you don't trip over artifacts like you did in SoC, instead you have to enter a cluster of anomalies and get irradiated, burned and tossed around by distorted gravity. But i digress...

You trip over artifacts in SoC. Case closed.

Let's talk "über" artifacts - The spring, battery, mama's beads and pellicle.

- The spring and battery can be found quite easily by exploring the dark valley and the army warehouse.
- Mama's beads can be found when you first enter dark valley, you can get it from a quest, and it spawns in Pripyat.
- Pellicle can be found in the wild territory and you can get an infinite amount of them by doing missions for the scientists.

And warehouses, pripyat are end-game locations to boot.

Truly an avalanche

Clear Sky is clearly superior because you don't trip over artifacts like you did in SoC, instead you have to enter a cluster of anomalies and get irradiated, burned and tossed around by distorted gravity. But i digress...

That means - Clear Sky's artifact hunting is superior, not the actual game. Actually I think artifact finding mechanic from CS is all that SoC with Oblivion Lost mod is missing, otherwise it's a much superior game over CS.

Slobbergoat

Novice
While STALKER would benefit from more writing, I think it'd also benefit from less NPCs - it'd be a lot more atmospheric if you could go for hours at a time without seeing as much as a single other sane human (and the resultant strain on your logistics would be interesting, too).

Anomalies being more unique and rarer (with more mindfuckish ones like the X-labs) and radiation being a bigger issue would be nice - radiation never seemed to quite be dangerous enough that you couldn't get through irradiated areas with something as protection as a shitty leather jacket.

A bigger gameworld would help too; particulary with the first point of having a greater sense of isolation.

deshields538

Scholar
The only places with high levels of radiation in SoC were places in Garbage, the Chernobyl Power Plant itself and a few unique radiation hazards as far as I remember. I think it worked out fine since the less irradiated areas still built up your radiation level if you stayed there too long or didn't run through it.

However I'd like to see radiation have more of an effect than just lowering your health meter.

Deleted member 7219

There was only one thing about SoC that eventually made the game unplayable for me, and that was enemy respawns. I mean, come ON. It eliminated all sense of progression from the game, and since it was also a game where you have to be careful with your ammo, it seemed totally unfair to have to keep killing the same guys over and over.

There were other little things that I didn't like, like weapon degradation, but I could live with them. I couldn't live with enemy respawns all the time.

DraQ

Arcane
Matt7895 said:
There was only one thing about SoC that eventually made the game unplayable for me, and that was enemy respawns. I mean, come ON. It eliminated all sense of progression from the game
No, it made the world feel larger and more organic (that there should be more space and less NPCs overall is another issue) - you were no longer a hero who could cleanse the zone of enemies with his mighty, lead spitting dick extension. In a sandbox game, respawns are a good thing, overall.

and since it was also a game where you have to be careful with your ammo, it seemed totally unfair to have to keep killing the same guys over and over.
Stealth, avoidance, accuracy and single firing mode.

MetalCraze

Arcane
I remember I was standing in Garbage for 20 minutes, just shooting neverending waves of enemies. And there is nothing to the game other than that - no good gameplay, no story, just wide but linear corridors with respawn with which you must deal by using very crappy modeled weapons that take 3-4 headshots to put someone down (especially military guys, must be symbolizing that ukrainian military is made of true steel ubermenschen)

Call of Prypiat will be a steaming pile of shit too, just like the two before it.

Tails

Arbiter
Everything in this trailer is scripted and I very doubt that AI will in work in such way. Also I'm sure that they won't add some of features like in Clear Sky. It's a bit sad when they tell that game will have new two mutants: Chimera i Burer that are in mods long time ago.

I'm more waiting for Lost Alpha mod then for any new Stalker title from GSC. Dezodors team seems to do very nice progress in map making.

Btw. There is also short CoP trailer with cool, epic and heart gripping music!

Being a big gay tubesteak hahahahahahahahag
MetalCraze said:
I remember I was standing in Garbage for 20 minutes, just shooting neverending waves of enemies.

Spawning out of nowhere? Was this on the unpatched version or something? This is something I honestly never encountered in either of my playthroughs (vanilla patched and Oblivion Lost). Enemies spawned when I entered an area and, in OL, when a blowout occurred. That was it.

using very crappy modeled weapons that take 3-4 headshots to put someone down (especially military guys, must be symbolizing that ukrainian military is made of true steel ubermenschen)

What the hell guns were you using? I haven't tried it on the hardest difficulty, but it's never taken me more than 2.

Tails

Arbiter
MetalCraze said:
I remember I was standing in Garbage for 20 minutes, just shooting neverending waves of enemies.
Something like that never happens in patched version (dunno if in unpatched, I never tried it). Rather irritating were some places where enemies mostly respawn (like those concrete large bricks in Garbage) often but not always, when you re-enter level.

Admiral jimbob said:
What the hell guns were you using? I haven't tried it on the hardest difficulty, but it's never taken me more than 2.
Huh, I played on master lvl in vanilla (1.0005 patched) and Oblivion Lost, plus few other mods. I always did head shots because even some crap weapons can take out enemy with just one shot. As far I recall maybe the Monolith guys could survive one then more in NPP but that's all. So Skyway is just...

The respawning was a huge problem. Respawning in a sandbox is good, ja - but ffs there are limits. Especially in Garbage, you could go to any of the few bandit camps, kill everyone, go to the other end of the map and back - 5 minutes, tops - and ba dum tshh, here they are again. Not to mention the levels were repopulated on every load, which made travelling almost a chore.

And you didn't even get anything from slaughering hundreds of respawning enemies, because guns are too heavy, other Stalkers buy only sausage, and there is no cash in the game.

Admiral jimbob said:
using very crappy modeled weapons that take 3-4 headshots to put someone down (especially military guys, must be symbolizing that ukrainian military is made of true steel ubermenschen)

Well I just did one of my occasional roamings through Oblivion Lost, where I was killing most of my enemies with a single headshot, I'm not talking about mutants or zombies of course.
On one hand, I was using a scoped gun, on the other hand, I can kill enemies with a single shot from quite far away even when using a starting pistol. And I always play SoC on hardest difficulty. So yeah, Skyway is just being Skyway.
Sometimes respawns in STALKER can be annoying, but they never come close to ones in Far Cry 2, so I can live with them.

Emotional Vampire said:
And you didn't even get anything from slaughering hundreds of respawning enemies, because guns are too heavy, other Stalkers buy only sausage

You certainly haven't played Oblivion Lost.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom