Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

STALKER: Call of Pripyat video

DraQ

Arcane
Humans and common mutants tend to die from one shot if you hit them squarely in the head, regardless of the difficulty and weapon you use.

If you merely pierce the tip of bandit's hood, or gun and run Holywood style, effectively plinking random objects all across your FOV, yeah, it will take more "headshots". Also, guys wearing helmets, like guys Berils, can withstand headshots from weaker guns, if they hit the helmet, rather than their unprotected faces.

As for the respawns, they should have given them about a day of delay.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Yes lets just install hundreds of mods and why do you criticize Oblivion for quest compass - look it isn't there

MetalCraze said:
Yes lets just install hundreds of mods and why do you criticize Oblivion for quest compass - look it isn't there

You just love to exaggerate, don't you? You only need one mod for STALKER to become a much better game, so.. It's certainly not like anything from Bethesda where you spend more time looking for mods than playing the actual game.
But seriously, WHY would you criticize Oblivion for having a quest compass? It needs it, boring copy/paste fest that it is..

MetalCraze

Arcane
I'm talking about my experience with the game back in 2007. It felt like even the lowly bandit was wearing a titanium armour under his coat. And yes it was barely patched too and afaik with the 5th patch even the sun was still coming up from the west, stopping at the top and going back the way it came.

There is no mod that will fix this game btw, much like all shooter trash coming out in the past 3 years it's rotten at its core.

MetalCraze said:
There is no mod that will fix this game btw, much like all shooter trash coming out in the past 3 years it's rotten at its core.

卐 THIS IS THE NEW SHIT 卐

Tails

Arbiter
MetalCraze said:
I'm talking about my experience with the game back in 2007. It felt like even the lowly bandit was wearing a titanium armour under his coat. And yes it was barely patched too and afaik with the 5th patch even the sun was still coming up from the west, stopping at the top and going back the way it came.
I just :lol: about bandits. Better play game again Skyway it's seems your just trying to hard. Btw. the Sun wasn't by mistake fixed in Oblivion Lost?

MetalCraze said:
I hope Lost Alpha will prove you are wrong good sir.

Pliskin

Arbiter
Multidirectional said:
Stereotypical Villain said:
Clear Sky is clearly superior because you don't trip over artifacts like you did in SoC, instead you have to enter a cluster of anomalies and get irradiated, burned and tossed around by distorted gravity. But i digress...

That means - Clear Sky's artifact hunting is superior, not the actual game. Actually I think artifact finding mechanic from CS is all that SoC with Oblivion Lost mod is missing, otherwise it's a much superior game over CS.

The only thing I liked about CS was the anomalies and artifact detection. The rest, not so much.

And respawn rates --- even with OL --- are still over-blown. If you clear out a bandit camp (specifically, the one that serves as a roadblock between Garbage and Agroprom), it should stay cleared out for a couple of days --- not the couple of hours a zone transition takes.

Yah, I realize it's a shooter (and thus needs an abundance of targets) but for a high-security cordoned area, it is way overpopulated. (IIRC, a typical run will net you a body count in the thousands --- and that's just humans).

Tails said:
the Sun wasn't by mistake fixed in Oblivion Lost?

Not in my version. I had to go into the files and edit that mess myself.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Tails said:
I hope Lost Alpha will prove you are wrong good sir.

Unless Lost Alpha will remove respawn, cover the corridors better, replace the terribad "quests" with something at least 1% interesting and adds the motivation to play the game (like a story) Stalker will still remain shit. I don't say exploration as motivation simply because it is impossible with Stalker's design.

A user named cat

The only good thing to come from S.T.A.L.K.E.R. was the geography design. Everything else blew, this game looks like the same old tired shit once again but even more dull.

Tails

Arbiter
MetalCraze said:
Unless Lost Alpha will remove respawn, cover the corridors better, replace the terribad "quests" with something at least 1% interesting and adds the motivation to play the game (like a story) Stalker will still remain shit. I don't say exploration as motivation simply because it is impossible with Stalker's design.
Some maps are new one made by team, other modified from build/game so instead of modifying existing (like most mods do) A-Life & spawning they will have to create new AI Life from zero.
Huh I don't know what kind of quests you except...
What?

Micmu

Magister
Phantasmal said:
The only good thing to come from S.T.A.L.K.E.R. was the geography design.
(edit: almost) agreed. There are some nice ideas in it, but usually fucked up in one way or another. And a shitload of 'how-to-not-do's for future reference. Like that relentless respawnfest... that's just unbelievable.

micmu said:
Like that relentless respawnfest... that's just unbelievable.
I'm pretty sure that was fixed by 1.004, I remember on my first playthrough unpatched in 07 that the only noticeable respawning was outside the Garbage with all the broken vehicles and even then after a few minutes of killing I decided to just leg it. On subsequent playthoughs I never noticed it, especially with OL and AMK which are a necessity for replays.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Phantasmal said:
The only good thing to come from S.T.A.L.K.E.R. was the geography design.
If you consider stuff like an abandoned working factory in a middle of the forest without any road leading to it and having a 50 years old tree growing right at its entrance (with trucks standing inside the yard nonetheless) - a good thing.

Tails said:
Some maps are new one made by team, other modified from build/game so instead of modifying existing (like most mods do) A-Life & spawning they will have to create new AI Life from zero.

What is this A-Life you're talking about? Bots spawning at a point A and moving to the point B while shooting at everyone with "enemy" flag on him? And then standing at point B moving nowhere. Yeah they will have a hard time recreating that excuse for AI from zero.

Huh I don't know what kind of quests you except...
Some other than "lol go there kill X of bandits/bring Y of that useless shit"?

Satori said:
I'm pretty sure that was fixed by 1.004
Did it remove respawn? Did it remove ridiculous spawn points? I remember how I found a spawn point at Agroprom and then was just sitting there, throwing grenades at bots that were spawning in groups of six, getting stuck in each other. That's how I was getting 1000s of bullets for my AK without running to the Bar.

This game is so bad, nothing will ever fix it. It's like some shitty alpha version/tech demo or something.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Why are faces in STALKER still bad? Even after three years.

Those guys can't do faces.

Shannow

Waster of Time
I love discussions between skyway and fanboys:
S: This is shit.
F: No, u r. This is awesome because *insert reasons why they love it*
S: This is shit because *insert reasons why skyway hates it*
F: No. that's not true. The game is completely different.
S: It is true. I played it. It was like that.
F: That was long fixed in mods.
S: Mods will fix it :roll:
F: There were also patches.
S: Not when I played it. And anyway, this game is so shit, no patch or mod will ever fix it.
F: No u r.
*continues on and on*

I always find it funny, that it can go on so long. Skyway usually judges the games un-modded in an early after release version. You guys should know that by now. The whole discussion could have just as well gone:
S: This is shit.
F: It wasn't perfect on release but patches and mods tranformed it into a great game. *insert why the fanboy loves it*
S: No mods could ever fix this pile of shit.
F: No, u r.
*end*

There, much shorter.

OT: Respawns suck. Fighting my way through areas I've already explored that were repopulated within the hour killed the atmosphere and got boring really fast. The game was too dark and I hate invisible enemies. But otherwise STALKER was on of the better FPS that I tried.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Shannow said:
Skyway usually judges the games un-modded
What's the difference? You can't fix the design. Though Stalker has no design, thus there is nothing to fix.

in an early after release version
You probably missed a part where I said that patches fixed nothing, not even the goddamn sun was fixed in 1.005. Silly respawn, dumb AI, awful excuse for a plot, a corridor from Cordon to NPP, moronic theme-park maps that don't make any sense (like aforementioned Yantar) are still there.
It took them 6 years to make a tech-demo of Stalker. And 2 years later it sucks as it did.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom