Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Vapourware Star Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

Discussion in 'MMO(RP)G / Online Discussion' started by Morgoth, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    Wasn't New World just canceled like 2 weeks ago or something like that ?

• No No x 2
    ^ Top  
  2. Alexander DeLarge Liturgist

Alexander DeLarge
    The Lord of the Rings Online 2 was "cancelled" by Amazon because they couldn't agree to the terms with Tencent on their partnership. Tencent will probably put Digital Extremes on it and develop it internally. Everyone moved off New World to work on LOTRO2 is being moved back on New World and it's shaping up pretty well. They're putting out major systemic and content updates every three to four weeks.

^ Top  
  3. Myobi Scholar

Myobi
    Doesn’t sound like an healthy way to address this project at all.

^ Top  
  4. Myobi Scholar

Myobi
    Shit, I love Star Citizen...

Last edited: May 6, 2021
    • Funny Funny x 3
    ^ Top  
  5. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer Sad Loser

J_C
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    This is where it all falls apart. This game will never launch as a full game. It will forever be in development hell. Sure, there will be more and more game mechanics added, but it will never come together as a coherent, full game.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    *Checks* wow, is this scam still ongoing after 8 years? At this point it's sadder than the average cult, I would say.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Myobi Scholar

Myobi
    "no company is ever managed properly"

"unless a project fails it’s not bad management"

It's falling apart all over, since the very start...

^ Top  
  8. Alexander DeLarge Liturgist

Alexander DeLarge
    I'd say it's already pretty damn cohesive and acceptable if not for the performance issues and clunky interaction system. Add another system or two worth of locations and get server meshing in place and you can launch this thing within 2-3 years as a minimal viable product. Wouldn't be what was promised in the stretch goals but it's already more appealing to me than every other space sim on the market so I'd be satisfied with it.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. RRRrrr Arcane

RRRrrr
    The game will launch when cucks stop buying 25 000$ ships, i.e. never. I always found it paradoxical-how can you be a person who has 25 000$ to spend and at the same time be the kind of person who would spend it on a jpeg?

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    Not being poor. You would be surprised how much money people can spend on various shit.

^ Top  
  11. RRRrrr Arcane

RRRrrr
    Still, I find it hard to believe those who buy 25 000$ ships are millionaires or something.

^ Top  
  12. gabel Learned

gabel
    Why? Millionaires are not less retarded than the general population.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Delterius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    you do know that western economies run on the american printing press and the doggy coin right

• Doggy Doggy x 2
    ^ Top  
  14. Myobi Scholar

Myobi

• Funny Funny x 8
    • nice nice x 1
    • Artistic Artistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    CIG graphics lead wrote this today.

Gen12 renderer starting with 3.14, Vulcan coming shortly after (probably 3.15). Full benefits take more than just 3.14 and after they finish they will move to remove render thread and use N+ scaling for rendering

FPS improvements coming. Either way no one should expect more fps than 50-60 in cities until they resolve server issues.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. GhostCow ワイフハンター Patron

GhostCow
    RPG Wokedex
    Shouldn't fps be completely independent of anything going on server side?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Fishy Savant

Fishy
    This is tier 0 fps. But once the pipelines are in place, they'll be able to easily roll out 5-10 fps per month!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    In theory yes. In practice servers DO have huge impact on fps in a lot of games as servers themselves have their own FPS and when you have something like graphical stuff trying to render something that is yet to render on server you could easily see how it produces stalls and how servers FPS could impact client side fps.

Though reading what they wrote they seem to go into that direction. Either way once Vulcan releases that should alone improve frames for most of people who don't have top tier cpus.

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. WhiskeyWolf RPG Codex Polish Car Thief Patron

WhiskeyWolf
    So, when is this coming out?

• It's a matter of time It's a matter of time x 1
    • honk honk! honk honk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    next friday. Only few microissues left.

• incline incline x 2
    • It's a matter of time It's a matter of time x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Myobi Scholar

Myobi
    People going like “Oh they have to be part of the CiG PR team!”

- https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1209438-Megathread-Star-Citizen/page628?p=53176623#post53176623

You guys fucking crazy. I would rather pay these fanatic cunts to keep their mouth shut about my project than having them going around the internet saying shit like this =/

^ Top  
  22. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    If there was one thing to not criticize SC about it is their commitment to stretch-goals. They pretty much do everything in them and then some. Also it is not like they have new stretchgoals constantly. Their stretchgoal campaign ended at around $66M in half of 2014 or something like that.

In fact if they would ignore stretchgoals game would be long time ago finished. It is the stretch-goals that painted them into this creep.

Stuff like FPS, plentary landing etc were late stretchgoals from end of 2013 start of 2014.

^ Top  
  23. Myobi Scholar

Myobi
    I wouldn't bet on it. I think the feature creep would have happened one way or another, it always does with Chris... remember Freelancer? More and more, bigger and better until the all the money goes puff!

He has no self-control, as long as people keep throwing him money, it won't stop...

• gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. gurugeorge Arcane

gurugeorge
    Well something must have worked, because Freelancer was an excellent game that gave me many hours of fun.

I think that's the only reason why people have had faith in SC, because at the end of the day they remember having lots of fun in games he was involved in. Whether he was the one responsible for the goodness or not, he's the constant in a bunch of pretty good games down the years.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Alexander DeLarge Liturgist

Alexander DeLarge
    Why should it stop? They're making money faster than they can spend it on development and each year raises more money than the last. As long as we get our quarterly deliverables, I'm happy.

• sheeple sheeple x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.