Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars Star Wars Jedi: Survivor - sequel to Fallen Order

Trithne

Erudite
Cal going to the Katarn school of character development: grow a beard between your first and second games.

Gerrard

Arcane
Fallen Order is less than $5 on Steam right now, I was going to say it's a more than 90% discount but apparently they lowered the base price to $40 2 years ago. You know your game is successful when... :lol:

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron

DemonKing

Arcane
Gerrard

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_Jedi:_Fallen_Order
Publisher Electronic Arts confirmed that Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order had the fastest-selling digital launch for any Star Wars game within its first two weeks on sale.[79] The game sold more than 8 million copies by the end of January 2020, exceeding EA's expectations.[80] More than 10 million units were sold by March 31, 2020.[81] By June 2021, the game had attracted more than 20 million players.[
It’s been on EA Play and Gamepass for sometime which is probably where most of the more than 20 million ‘attractions’ were after the first 10 million actual copies were sold.

10 million units sold was definitely an overperformance compared to internal expectations. We're talking EA here, the company that so badly bungled their exclusive rights to arguably the most popular pop culture franchise in the world that they only released 2 games in 5 years (both of which received mixed receptions and one of which had a major scandal around predatory monetization practices).

Of course they were stunned that it turns out all you need to do is make a moderately competent game, slap the SW name on it and make hundreds of millions; who could possibly have predicted that?

Last edited:

Gerrard

Arcane
Still dreadful considering how bad the gameplay of that game looks. I guess you could shit in a box and put a Star Wars logo on it and it would sell at this point if you promised you can swing a lightsaber with it.
BTW didn't EA lose the exclusivity on SW games?

Still dreadful considering how bad the gameplay of that game looks. I guess you could shit in a box and put a Star Wars logo on it and it would sell at this point if you promised you can swing a lightsaber with it.
You're missing the point, shitting in a box and putting the Star Wars logo on it was exactly what they did with BF1 and 2 (and apparently Squadrons? I haven't played it) and both/all of them underperformed, with BF2 being a notable turkey coupled with a major reputation hit.

Also: I wouldn't describe the gameplay of FO as "bad" when compared to most of the modern AAA games I've played. Again, "competent" is the key-word here. I don't think most people, even normies, thought the game was great, but it ran smoothly, had better level design than your average AAA title, and nailed the OT aesthetic; it was pretty inarguably the best Star Wars game that's come out in a long time solely by virtue of not being dogshit, and that's pretty much all you need to shift 10 million full-price copies. And to be clear: it also had a lot of unforced errors (that I mentioned in my review in the FO thread).
BTW didn't EA lose the exclusivity on SW games?
Yes, I neglected to mention it in my prior post, but someone at Disney seems to have realized that EA might have mismanaged SW even worse than Disney has. Unfortunately the key take-away there is that now Ubisoft is getting a shot at an open-world AAA Star Wars title.

Last edited:

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
You're missing the point, shitting in a box and putting the Star Wars logo on it was exactly what they did with BF1 and 2 (and apparently Squadrons? I haven't played it)
A friend gave me a copy of Squadrons for free and I even bought a HOTAS for it. It's alright. I enjoyed it, but not so much that I didn't get distracted by other games and leave it unfinished. I'll probably go back to it some day. It reminds me a lot of the old X-Wing vs TIE Fighter game, which I loved. I imagine that the multiplayer is probably pretty fun, but I'm not touching it until I beat sp.

Codex Year of the Donut
10 million units sold was definitely an overperformance compared to internal expectations. We're talking EA here, the company that so badly bungled their exclusive rights to arguably the most popular pop culture franchise in the world that they only released 2 games in 5 years (both of which received mixed receptions and one of which had a major scandal around predatory monetization practices).
swtor has made over a billion dollars and receives regular updates

As I know you know: TOR has had a long tail and initially underperformed; it had a relatively strong launch, but steep dropoff in the months that followed.

It also launched a full 1.5 years prior to EA signing its exclusivity deal (to say nothing of launching ahead of Disney’s catastrophic influence), so I genuinely don’t know what point you’re trying to make; TOR does not strike me as even remotely germane to the conversation at hand.

Codex Year of the Donut
As I know you know: TOR has had a long tail and initially underperformed; it had a strong launch, but sure dropoff in the months that followed.

It also launched a full 1.5 years prior to EA signing its exclusivity deal (to say nothing of launching ahead of Disney’s catastrophic influence), so I genuinely don’t know what point you’re trying to make.
I don't think they've ever felt pressure to release star wars games because they have one of the best selling star wars games on the market continuously churning out profit.

Signing an exclusivity deal and not making games is not necessarily bad because they directly compete with their existing Star Wars product. Preventing others from doing so is also good.

As I know you know: TOR has had a long tail and initially underperformed; it had a strong launch, but sure dropoff in the months that followed.

It also launched a full 1.5 years prior to EA signing its exclusivity deal (to say nothing of launching ahead of Disney’s catastrophic influence), so I genuinely don’t know what point you’re trying to make.
I don't think they've ever felt pressure to release star wars games because they have one of the best selling star wars games on the market continuously churning out profit.
Yes. EA is famously happy to sit content and not milk its franchises dry. They are the very model of restraint. Pip pip.

Codex Year of the Donut

Yes. EA is famously happy to sit content and not milk its franchises dry. They are the very model of restraint. Pip pip.
Why would they compete with themself?
What makes you think the exclusivity deal was to make games rather than prevent others from doing so?

What makes you think the exclusivity deal was to make games rather than prevent others from doing so?
Did TIE Fighter compete with Dark Forces or Super Star Wars?

Codex Year of the Donut

Yes.
External IPs don't play by typical genre rules, especially when it's an IP that appeals to children.

Yes.
External IPs don't play by typical genre rules, especially when it's an IP that appeals to children.
Fundamental disagree, but I would be curious to look at any data you have that supports that view.

Codex Year of the Donut

Yes.
Fundamental disagree, but I would be curious to look at any data you have that supports that view.
My data: EA didn't make any games.
Yes, I'm going to assume EA knows more about this than you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom