Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars Outlaws

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I'm replaying Dark Forces games and looking Outlaws is so let down.

I agree with some of your remarks, but
you're surprised that an open world action adventure doesn't play like a Star Wars skinned Doom clone?

Out of curiosity, did your mother ever drop you on your head when you were a baby?
C'mon, mate.
Don't refer to the legend that is Dark Forces as a "Doom clone".
It did so many cool things, even gave rise to an entire series - The Jedi Knight.
Alternate fire modes, jumping, crouching, interesting level design.
Back when Star Wars gaming was at its peak.

MaxPaint

Literate
Why are people even hyped about this game, it's modern Ubisoft ffs. It's a product containing video game elements identical to natural. It's playable if you have nothing else to do, that's it.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Why are people even hyped about this game, it's modern Ubisoft ffs. It's a product containing video game elements identical to natural. It's playable if you have nothing else to do, that's it.
Codex was also hyped about Baldur's Gate 3.

-M-

Learned
Yes, Outlaws is not a shooter and no one would expect a game like Dark Forces.

A_LucasArts%20Outlaws%20-%20Cover.jpg

When you forget which thread you're in and the two games you think are being compared both use the same engine.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
System Requirements:
https://wccftech.com/star-wars-outlaws-pc-system-requirements/

Minimum
Operating System - Windows 10, Windows 11 (64-bit versions), DirectX 12
CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6 GHz, Intel Core i7-8700K @ 3.70 GHz, or better
Graphics - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 (6 GB), AMD RX 5600XT (6 GB), Intel Arc A750 (8 GB, with ReBAR on) or better
RAM Memory - 16 GB (dual-channel mode)
Storage - 65 GB SSD
Resolution - 1080P, 30 FPS, LOW graphics preset with upscaler set to Quality

Recommended
CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X @ 3.7 GHz, Intel Core i5-10400 @ 2.9 GHz, or better
Graphics - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti (8 GB), AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT (12 GB) or better
Storage - 65 GB SSD
Resolution - 1080P, 60 FPS, HIGH graphics preset with upscaler set to Quality

High
CPU - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 GHz or Intel Core i5-11600K @ 3.9 GHz
Graphics - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 (10 GB)/NVidia GeForce RTX 4070 (12GB), AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT (16 GB) or better
Storage - 65 GB SSD
Resolution - 1440P, 60 FPS, HIGH graphics preset with upscaler set to Quality

Ultra
CPU - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D @ 3.4 GHz or Intel Core i7-12700K @ 3.8 GHz
Graphics - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080 (16 GB), AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX (24 GB) or better
Storage - 65 GB SSD
Resolution - 2160p, 60 FPS, ULTRA graphics preset with upscaler set to Quality

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Once again the Stormtrooper armor protects against jack shit...
Yep - can't stop laser blasts, sticks and stones wielded by knee-high teddy bears or unarmed attacks by thin women with bad haircuts.
Again portraying the Stormtroopers as incompetent and idiotic grunts...
While Stormtroopers were designed for "peacekeeping" operations, there were also troops like the 501st, also known as "Vader's Fist", one of the deadliest fighting forces in The Galaxy.

Freedos

Educated
No one likes ugly chicks, not even other ugly chicks
Mara Jade could've been the best female protagonist.
But we already had her in the Mysteries of the Sith expansion for Jedi Knight.
Yap, they could use an appealing Legends character instead of this. Specially when Disney replaced the EU...and yet they are reusing lots of "old canon" elements: Thrawn, Palpatine's resurrection, etc.

On the other hand...well, they can ruin her, so in a way...maybe is it for the best? And we are talking about a female Star Wars character and not chad male like Kyle Katarn.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Yap, they could use an appealing Legends character instead of this. Specially when Disney replaced the EU...and yet they are reusing lots of "old canon" elements: Thrawn, Palpatine's resurrection, etc.

On the other hand...well, they can ruin her, so in a way...maybe is it for the best? And we are talking about a female Star Wars character and not chad male like Kyle Katarn.
Didn't they also open up to the idea of making Revan canon?

Freedos

Educated

Didn't they also open up to the idea of making Revan canon?
I don't know...maybe? I wouldn't be surprised.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

you're surprised that an open world action adventure doesn't play like a Star Wars skinned Doom clone?

Out of curiosity, did your mother ever drop you on your head when you were a baby?
C'mon, mate.
Don't refer to the legend that is Dark Forces as a "Doom clone".
It did so many cool things, even gave rise to an entire series - The Jedi Knight.
Alternate fire modes, jumping, crouching, interesting level design.
Back when Star Wars gaming was at its peak.

See below:

Dark Forces was more than a Doom clone, specially the second one. Both games were very innovative in its time and Outlaws smells like a mere checking all the boxes and not much else.

I was making the comparison about the action part. Yes, Outlaws is not a shooter and no one would expect a game like Dark Forces. But both are Star Wars action games about playing as a Han Solo type character (well, in Dark Forces II a little more than that). In Dark Forces gunplay is very good, you have a lot of fun weapons and gadgets, verticality and makes you feel like you're a chad mercenary badass. Combat in Outlaws (in the videos at least) seems sooo bland and popamole, and playing as a, uh, character.

Dark Forces sucks balls and is basically just a Star Wars skin on Doom. :lol:

Jedi Knight was awesome, especially the dorky FMV cutscenes.

Comparing an action adventure third person game against what I'd describe as a pure FPS with a story emphasis is mildly retarded, quality issues aside.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom