Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars Outlaws

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
The original article all those quotes came from.

1722664287528.png

The Disney machine is afraid. It needs this game to work, apparently.

Freedos

Educated
I'm replaying Dark Forces games and looking Outlaws is so let down.

I agree with some of your remarks, but
you're surprised that an open world action adventure doesn't play like a Star Wars skinned Doom clone?

Out of curiosity, did your mother ever drop you on your head when you were a baby?
C'mon, mate.
Don't refer to the legend that is Dark Forces as a "Doom clone".
It did so many cool things, even gave rise to an entire series - The Jedi Knight.
Alternate fire modes, jumping, crouching, interesting level design.
Back when Star Wars gaming was at its peak.

See below:

I'm replaying Dark Forces games and looking Outlaws is so let down.

I agree with some of your remarks, but
you're surprised that an open world action adventure doesn't play like a Star Wars skinned Doom clone?

Out of curiosity, did your mother ever drop you on your head when you were a baby?
Dark Forces was more than a Doom clone, specially the second one. Both games were very innovative in its time and Outlaws smells like a mere checking all the boxes and not much else.

I was making the comparison about the action part. Yes, Outlaws is not a shooter and no one would expect a game like Dark Forces. But both are Star Wars action games about playing as a Han Solo type character (well, in Dark Forces II a little more than that). In Dark Forces gunplay is very good, you have a lot of fun weapons and gadgets, verticality and makes you feel like you're a chad mercenary badass. Combat in Outlaws (in the videos at least) seems sooo bland and popamole, and playing as a, uh, character.

Dark Forces sucks balls and is basically just a Star Wars skin on Doom. :lol:

Jedi Knight was awesome, especially the dorky FMV cutscenes.

Comparing an action adventure third person game against what I'd describe as a pure FPS with a story emphasis is mildly retarded, quality issues aside.
Of course, Doom levels were mission based, you had lots of verticality, jumping, gadgets, swimming, cutscenes and briefing between missions among other things and Dark Forces did nothing but putting the Star Wars skin and not much more else. Liking or not liking the game has anything to do with this.

I said already I was talking about the experience with the action part, specially when Star Wars Outlaws is a 2024 action game, it's not so difficult to understand even if you don't agree. Also, well, combat in the Ubisoft game seems like your typical cover SHOOTER, so you can't blame me. Specially when the other aspects of the game look so mild and being a Ubisoft open world game doesn't give a lot of hope.

Last edited:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
*cope mode engaged* Maybe there is a setting below journo mode and the person played with that on.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Can stormtroopers get any more pathetic than this?
There is a scene in the Ben Kenobi show where a spy knocks out 2 troopers with a helmet touch or something like that.

Edit:

Here, marked it.

I don't see how you could reasonably expect the Emperor's finest to be able to deal with advanced CQC techniques like those.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I don't see how you could reasonably expect the Emperor's finest to be able to deal with advanced CQC techniques like those.
It's like they said "improvise" and went with the first take. That show needed 10 more millions per episode :P

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
It's like they said "improvise" and went with the first take. That show needed 10 more millions per episode :P

Yeah, the ObiWan show had some things that could've been cool, but the direction/cinematography was ass, like some of the chase scenes or base raid, etc. The sense of scale makes the entire thing hilarious, like in This is Spinal Tap where the dwarves are dancing around the mini Stone Henge. :lol:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Can stormtroopers get any more pathetic than this?

It's hilarious because IIRC in the old lore, non-clone troopers go through a training from hell that kills like 70% of them or something. Although to be fair, I think that comic/whatever was written as a joke.

In practice they're like the nameless mobs from Dynasty Warriors.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I wonder how many jobs Ubisoft will slash when this and Asscreed We Wuz Samurai both fail horribly.
I wonder just how long is Ubisoft planning on releasing all those pathetic excuses of theirs named "video games"...

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
I wonder how many jobs Ubisoft will slash when this and Asscreed We Wuz Samurai both fail horribly.
I wonder just how long is Ubisoft planning on releasing all those pathetic excuses of theirs named "video games"...
It just occurred to me: Were living in a time where supermarkets are considering implementing dynamic pricing down to the minute. Where companies have complete psych evaluations of their customers. And still Ubisoft and the rest of the game industry keep shitting out... This.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Why pay 4 shills when you can deploy literal army
GUP3zDcWMAAH4_U

they didn't even change the title
:lol:

one question remains - did those bots received free trip to the Disneyland too?

jaekl

CHUD LIFE
Patron
Holy Chewbacca - 2024?? What a long wait to explore the galaxy! I'm so excited to have a star war and blaster some serious outlaws!! Where can I get a wig as wild as Kay Vess?! It must have cost a pretty credit!!! #starwarsoutlaws #nohatersallowed

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom