Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars Outlaws

The obsession with the 100% completion rate, rather than, just actually getting immersed into a game, is yet again very telling of this corporatized busywork slop.
i saw deus ex's ending a dozen times. i guess i haven't seen half the game has to offer.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I find this turn of events really funny.

Disney, a corporation devoted to pumping out shit quality content, in its dissatisfaction with another corporation's shit content (EA), moves away from it and tasks a third corporation devoted to producing shit content - Ubisoft - to do what the first corporation failed at. As anyone not on a corporate board could expect, Ubisoft shits out a "ubisoft game" in Disney's setting, mostly reminiscent of Asscreed in its gameplay. And now the ball is back in Disney's field, as Ubisoft's Star Wars game is going to obviously "underperform".

These corps look more and more like chatbots talking to each other. :lol:

Hellion

Arcane
I highly doubt Outlaws is going to underperform. Just like Odyssey or Valhalla or the Jedi Fallen Order games, we're looking at around 10 million sales more or less. The game's decent enough despite its flaws, just not groundbreaking (obviously, it's Ubisoft we're talking about) plus it's Star Wars which already has a yuge fanbase waiting to consoom.

PS. I wouldn't really pay attention to those edgy "2 out of 5" reviews. Ubisoft has always been an easy target for big gaming sites in order for them to score reactionary points with readers ("lol look how they trashed this AAA game, they are so objective"). Plus Eurogamer is owned by IGN, who also owns 4-5 other websites, and they all reviewed Outlaws and rated it 7/10 or more so Eurogamer's 2/5 rating is clearly just business in order to cover all possible reader groups.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Then how come Disney and EA couldn't cook up better results with whatever the previous shlock was?

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

Disney, a corporation devoted to pumping out shit quality content, in its dissatisfaction with another corporation's shit content (EA), moves away from it and tasks a third corporation devoted to producing shit content - Ubisoft - to do what the first corporation failed at. As anyone not on a corporate board could expect, Ubisoft shits out a "ubisoft game" in Disney's setting, mostly reminiscent of Asscreed in its gameplay. And now the ball is back in Disney's field, as Ubisoft's Star Wars game is going to obviously "underperform".

It's all so tiresome...

Ezekiel

Arcane

Bad enough that it has the asinine patches of tall grass that all stealth games now need to have, but AI can't even comprehend the stupid way that it always works.

Reinhardt

Arcane

Orange Clock

Novice

That just makes me appreciate how CDPR managed to make generic conversations with NPCs look good in comparison. They presumably use the same or similar "generate lip sync from audio file" technology.

Except that the same technology turned all localizations of Witcher 3 into shit: characters either spoke very fast or very slow.
But AFAIK they fixed it then they re-released the game after Netflix show gave them a boost in sales/players

Elttharion

Learned
Looks like they are using a shitty AI program for lip syncing and face animations

Then how come Disney and EA couldn't cook up better results with whatever the previous shlock was?
Fallen Order? It did well, 3 is in development. EA is just weird about it.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikka...allen-order-sales-records-and-what-they-mean/
So what sales records did Fallen Order beat? According to a press release from EA, it is “the fastest-selling digital launch for a Star Wars game in its first two weeks.” It is also “EA’s top-selling Star Wars title on PC in its initial launch window.”

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paulta...gly-against-ea-expectations-and-fallen-order/

EA’s most recent earnings call for the quarter ending on March 31 does not include Star Wars Jedi: Survivor which launched on April 28. However, EA made a point to express that the game is performing very, very well this early.

According to EA, Jedi Survivor is performing “very strongly” against the internal expectations they set for the game, and also compared to its predecessor, Fallen Order, with millions of players already on board.

That’s saying a lot, considering Fallen Order was a huge success, with 10 million players well under its first year of launch, and then 20 million players around 1.5 years in. Hence, the obvious greenlighting of the sequel we’re now playing.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

Aren't the Fallen Order games successful? How did EA do badly for them?

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Working on a review currently. This is a segment from it:

Unfortunately, but not surprising, Star Wars Outlaws has been Disneyfied, and made for a modern audience. Zero regard of the lore has been taken, as of now, the majority of important characters are female. The same goes for the mooks, and the worst sin of all, Imperial soldiers and officers. It’s absolutely ridiculous, since it seems to be even more than the usual fifty percent to satisfy the worst of social media. Biology is a thing, you know. I seriously doubt so many women would go into service and die for the Empire, or whatever criminal syndicate you are blasting up next, even for a sci-fi setting. Regardless of that, it has already been established that men will do the majority of the fighting going by the films, so it’s a direct lore contradiction. Look, I have nothing against the occasional women in the setting, as I have no problem with Kay, the protagonist. But they are just filling too many parts, and they always play the typical tough-guy role, which is much more suitable for a gruff and strong man. It just makes the world completely unbelievable.

That’s not all, because it never is. Star Wars Outlaws has also been “diversified” to eleven. If you see or meet a white man in-game, you can make sure he will betray you, or just be straight up evil from the get-go. I don’t think there is one good white guy throughout the whole game. All these roles are either filled with women or anything other than a white man. Even the aliens, like the twi’leks are made to have black features. It’s silly, and all these things take me out of the game repeatedly. Not because of the characters being black, or female, or whatever they now might be. It’s because they are only so, because it’s a forced diversity quota that needs to be filled and then shoved down your throat at the expense of white people, and keeping the lore intact. Tiresome.

lightbane

Arcane
Twilek aliens were blue, with the occasional pink for women. Now they are black, you say? How?

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Twilek aliens were blue, with the occasional pink for women. Now they are black, you say? How?
In the features, you can tell one of the rebel characters that help you (that is a twilek) is based on a black guy.

tiwlek.jpg

Ezekiel

Arcane

Aren't the Fallen Order games successful? How did EA do badly for them?
But Star Wars Jedi was kind of shit. He said nothing about success.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom