Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars Star Wars: Squadrons - space dogfight sim set after Return of the Jedi

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
This looks like total trash.

All we've seen is a cinematic trailer, literally nothing else. So this is based on... what exactly?
Multiplayer 5 vs 5 says all I need to know.

fuck 5v5 not 40v40?

EEEE---SPOOOORRRRTTTTSSS

d90.png

Dexter

Arcane
Only reason I was slightly interesting in it to begin with was VR Support.

If ya wanna know more it's being developed by Motive Studios in Montreal, which was founded in 2015 and worked on Battlefront II as a Support studio alongside DICE for the initial release. In 2017 the remainders of BioWare Montreal (Andromeda) were merged/collapsed into it by EA: https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/302885/EA_confirms_BioWare_Montreal_is_merging_with_Motive.php

Your Lead writers are an Ex-IGN Soynalist called Mitch Dyer:

And some BioWare Montreal refuse that worked on Inquisition and Andromeda:

Last edited:

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
Ugh...no thanks for the soy and cringe. I tried watching some youtube clips of Andromeda once and the writing was so fucking lame. The characters talked like redditors or tumblritors (not even in a way that it was SJW, just fucking cringey and lame)

Louis_Cypher

Arcane
4cKLmNE.jpg

X-Wing and TIE Fighter were made in an era when PC games were far in advance of consoles, and most programmers were avowed Star Wars and Star Trek geeks. Thus they made realistic sim games that were so accurate or atmospheric you felt you were actually a real pilot (in the case of X-Wing) or rebel agent (in the case of Dark Forces). In those games you could manage power, issue orders to wingmen, enter hyperspace manually, eject, had an in-universe career, and most of a keyboard could be used. People feel that era will never return, because such experiences are too niche for non-geeks, and we will only get reduced complexity arcade style space shooting today.

When I heard about the game off a friend yesterday, we assumed it was some mobile MMO or online multiplayer shite or something, with no single player mode.

But it does have a single player campaign... and... I don't actually believe this; they have brought back power management and traditional elements of the HUD:

XNlLU8Y.png

6inbHJu.png

Wr8x6A0.png

...and TIE Fighters have no shields.

I know: Fabulously optimistic. Wouldn't that be out of the blue: they release an actual early 90s space sim. But it's still EA.

Last edited:

Mojobeard

Augur
Heh. Star Wars: Quadroons.

If it's a dogfighting game, why is Y-Wing in? Wasn't the plan in the original movie for the X-Wings to cover the Y-Wings, since they're bombers? I guess it's the slow, heavily armored option. But then, B-Wing is a bomber too, a more modern version, and this happens way later if they have the nu-X-Wings.
If it's because it's "things I recognize", then why use terrible new X-Wing design?
Yes, I know the answer is microtransactions.
And lol at imperials having to just play with different kinds of TIE-fighters.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Heh. Star Wars: Quadroons.

If it's a dogfighting game, why is Y-Wing in? Wasn't the plan in the original movie for the X-Wings to cover the Y-Wings, since they're bombers? I guess it's the slow, heavily armored option. But then, B-Wing is a bomber too, a more modern version, and this happens way later if they have the nu-X-Wings.
If it's because it's "things I recognize", then why use terrible new X-Wing design?
Yes, I know the answer is microtransactions.
And lol at imperials having to just play with different kinds of TIE-fighters.
Maybe MP will be about accomplishing missions, not just killing each other. So let say Rebel team will need to blow up a station and Imperials will need to stop them.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Maybe we could judge a space combat game after they've shown some actual footage of the... you know... space combat?

I'm conflicted...this is a pretty low hanging fruit effort, but it mentions a SP campaign and if the actual space combat is ok then maybe it will get enough traction to do more ambitious Tie Fighter/X-Wing/Alliance types of games?

Eh, who am I kidding....

:negative:

wahrk

Learned
The HUD being properly represented in the actual cockpit instrumentation and having things like power management seems p. cool.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Looks pretty good, especially if you have a Star Wars boner, like Fallen Order. People can't adjust to EA making worthwhile shit, but the only constant is change bros.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Pretty sure this is going to have a MOBA like mode, they talked about your squadron joining waves for attack or defending their own ships. YOu first need to destroy enemy fighters (mid map moba fights) then their smaller capital ships (towers in MOBA) and then their main capital ship (tree in Dota). And SP part will probably be super short

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom