Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars: The Old Republic will kill WoW - outsourced to Broadsword

dacencora

Fuckers, if it was released on 14th december my subscription would still be active, now they want me to pay for it again :argh:

I had this same thought. I started playing this again for a bit and upped for two months, figuring I'd see then if I'm still playing or figure the sub is worth it. So they backed it up to a week after my sub runs out. :hahano:

Of course, if I've decided to quit again by that point, it doesn't really matter.
What server are you playing on? I've been thinking about jumping back in. Never did the JK story nor the SI.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Fuckers, if it was released on 14th december my subscription would still be active, now they want me to pay for it again :argh:

I had this same thought. I started playing this again for a bit and upped for two months, figuring I'd see then if I'm still playing or figure the sub is worth it. So they backed it up to a week after my sub runs out. :hahano:

Of course, if I've decided to quit again by that point, it doesn't really matter.
What server are you playing on? I've been thinking about jumping back in. Never did the JK story nor the SI.

Uh, well, they've had a LOT of server consolidation since years ago. Now it's at 2 NA servers, 2 English European servers and 1 German European server. I have characters on both of the NA servers, but most of my guys and my main legacy is on Star Forge. That being said, I only have several level 30s and my original level 50 Jedi Guardian, so it's not like I have a huge buy in anywhere.

Mostly I've just been farting around, reminding myself how each of the classes play and what the abilities are + setting up alts of all of the races I didn't pay to open up so I can hit level 50 if I want to and still make those races whether I have a sub or not.

dacencora

Uh, well, they've had a LOT of server consolidation since years ago. Now it's at 2 NA servers, 2 English European servers and 1 German European server. I have characters on both of the NA servers, but most of my guys and my main legacy is on Star Forge. That being said, I only have several level 30s and my original level 50 Jedi Guardian, so it's not like I have a huge buy in anywhere.

Mostly I've just been farting around, reminding myself how each of the classes play and what the abilities are + setting up alts of all of the races I didn't pay to open up so I can hit level 50 if I want to and still make those races whether I have a sub or not.
OK cool. My main toons are on Star Forge as well. Let me know which faction you decide to stick with. I have 3 Emp toons that are close to max (61, 71, 70) on that server, so I can go either way.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Turns out, the super duper annoying ability stutter still persists after 10 years. Fuck.

:dealwithit:
Yep. It’s a big bummer.
Huh? I don't think I've ever had it, from the descriptions I'm reading. At worst I get low framerates in certain areas but those are consistent and not "stuttery."

Well I can't really remember that far back but one thing I do with games now is turning off SMT/hyperthreading. Been doing that with basically everything since developers don't take into account hyperthreading across multiple physical cores - or simply not taking it into account at all. So your processes are sub-optimally distributed across/within the physical cores.

Edit: Wait why is everyone on Star Forge? I'm on Malgus.

dacencora

Turns out, the super duper annoying ability stutter still persists after 10 years. Fuck.

:dealwithit:
Yep. It’s a big bummer.
Huh? I don't think I've ever had it, from the descriptions I'm reading. At worst I get low framerates in certain areas but those are consistent and not "stuttery."

Well I can't really remember that far back but one thing I do with games now is turning off SMT/hyperthreading. Been doing that with basically everything since developers don't take into account hyperthreading across multiple physical cores - or simply not taking it into account at all. So your processes are sub-optimally distributed across/within the physical cores.

Edit: Wait why is everyone on Star Forge? I'm on Malgus.
I don't think it has anything to do with SMT/hyperthreading.

It's a lot less noticeable on ranged characters. When you're playing a Guardian/Juggernaut, it's very noticeable. You are pressing one of your abilities and it just keeps not triggering, and the animations just kind of loop for a minute and then the client reconnects to the server and suddenly the thing you were fighting is dead. I have gigabit speeds and it's something that I've noticed for years. They just didn't code the network side all that well.

Faarbaute

Arbiter
An example of what I'm referring to is demonstrated in this 10 year old video, especially at the 36 second mark and onwards.

As you press some abilites your character will brace himself to swing and then abruptly stop, forcing you to press again which may or may not produce another failure, resulting in the combat feeling really bad.

Codex Year of the Donut
are you sure that's not a settings option causing that? Because I've never encountered it.
Look for something like 'ability queueing' or similar in the options

I also play on very low latency(<30 iirc) so maybe that's a factor

dacencora

Like I said, across different computers and network setups, I have noticed this for pretty much as long as the game has been around. I thought it was due to poor internet because I was living in the sticks when it came out, but I still see it even with gigabit speeds on an ethernet cord.

Codex Year of the Donut
are you sure that's not a settings option causing that? Because I've never encountered it.

this thing
snapshot.jpg

(not my screenshot)

don't remember what I have it set to

Faarbaute

Arbiter

I will investigate further but I never found a solution to this the last time I played either.

Faarbaute

Arbiter
So, I'm gonna try out a new class storyline and I want to do some pew pew this time arround. What do you guys suggest? Any favorites?

dacencora

So, I'm gonna try out a new class storyline and I want to do some pew pew this time arround. What do you guys suggest? Any favorites?
Sniper is my favorite class to play. The Imperial Agent story is very good as well. Bounty Hunter is a fun story too (better if you like the small one-off stories in SW like the Tales from… series). However, the pew-pew of BH Merc kinda sucks IMO. Powertech is very fun, but you’re mostly punching, kicking, flame bursting, etc. You don’t use your blaster very much. Gunslinger is very fun, and I obviously like it because it’s essentially the equivalent to the Sniper but with two pistols. I haven’t ever done Trooper, so I can’t speak to those ones. Once the new xpac drops I’m gonna make a gunslinger BH, and finally have a 2-blaster BH that doesn’t suck lol.

Faarbaute

Arbiter
I was thinking about making a Bounty Hunter. When you say BH Merc kinda sucks, is that because its weak or just boring to play or something?

dacencora

I was thinking about making a Bounty Hunter. When you say BH Merc kinda sucks, is that because its weak or just boring to play or something?
It depends a little on what you’re looking for. And keep in mind that I have played this game on and off for a long time, but I’m not necessarily up to speed on the latest meta. Merc, as opposed to Sniper/Gunslinger, is pretty mobile. So you can run around blasting stuff, which you can’t do with Sniper. Merc also has a lot in the way of CC. Merc specced for healing is decent, but in all the time I’ve played, people always say Operative is the best healer, with Sorc as the next best, leaving Merc as last. So Merc isn’t as good at DPS or at healing, so it’s a little slower going through the mobs if you’re soloing, and obviously not as ideal as other classes for group content. It looks cool, and some of the abilities are straight up badass. The benefit that Merc would have over Sorc and Operative is again the mobility. Many of merc’s abilities can be activated while moving. Personally, I find the gameplay of Powertech much much more fun and much more appealing, even if loses some of the “badass” of double blasters. If you’re gonna roll a BH, I would go for Powertech.

Faarbaute

Arbiter
It depends a little on what you’re looking for. And keep in mind that I have played this game on and off for a long time, but I’m not necessarily up to speed on the latest meta. Merc, as opposed to Sniper/Gunslinger, is pretty mobile. So you can run around blasting stuff, which you can’t do with Sniper. Merc also has a lot in the way of CC. Merc specced for healing is decent, but in all the time I’ve played, people always say Operative is the best healer, with Sorc as the next best, leaving Merc as last. So Merc isn’t as good at DPS or at healing, so it’s a little slower going through the mobs if you’re soloing, and obviously not as ideal as other classes for group content. It looks cool, and some of the abilities are straight up badass. The benefit that Merc would have over Sorc and Operative is again the mobility. Many of merc’s abilities can be activated while moving. Personally, I find the gameplay of Powertech much much more fun and much more appealing, even if loses some of the “badass” of double blasters. If you’re gonna roll a BH, I would go for Powertech.
Thanks for the input, I'm gonna have to mull it over a bit.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I haven’t ever done Trooper
dark side trooper, you have an alien mutt sidekick to insult, offend and abuse at every corner.

Telling Jurgen or whatever where to go all the time is pretty funny. If you pick female trooper, Jennifer Hale is the voice actor, so you can be femshep grabbing collars across the Star Wars galaxy.

dacencora

I haven’t ever done Trooper
dark side trooper, you have an alien mutt sidekick to insult, offend and abuse at every corner.

Telling Jurgen or whatever where to go all the time is pretty funny. If you pick female trooper, Jennifer Hale is the voice actor, so you can be femshep grabbing collars across the Star Wars galaxy.
Oh no way. I’ll have to play a FemTroop for my next toon. That sounds like fun.

You should Agent anon! You should! You should Agent anon but do not Kaliyo nonsense anon because she is American California brain disease cuckold nonsense anon! She is! Do not worry anon it is okay anon because Cipher Nine anon is spykino main character anon anon! He is! You are a good anon!

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Is this still hobbled by being 32-bit and based on obsolete middleware? I quit because for year after year my hardware was way beyond specs but I got about 5 FPS when anything important happened in PvP.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom