Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars: The Old Republic will kill WoW - outsourced to Broadsword

Drakron

Arcane
Well TOR iF2P is designed to annoy you until you pay.

But from what I understood grouping as F2P is actually a bad idea because XP is shared so instead of having a easier time you shooting yourself in the foot because you level slower that way as subers get a XP bonus so thats not a issue but with all the restrictions in F2P you end up being underleveled and have to farm XP.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well TOR iF2P is designed to annoy you until you pay..
You got a title! Pay us $7.50 if you want to display it, bitch. You want to hide your helmet? Better be willing to shell out $2.50. Equip an epic item? Not for free, sucker! What do you think this is, City of Heroes?

Angthoron

Arcane
Well TOR iF2P is designed to annoy you until you pay.

But from what I understood grouping as F2P is actually a bad idea because XP is shared so instead of having a easier time you shooting yourself in the foot because you level slower that way as subers get a XP bonus so thats not a issue but with all the restrictions in F2P you end up being underleveled and have to farm XP.
Ah yes, I forgot that EA found an even more retarded model than Turbine.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
5nurud.jpg

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

Not really. The XP bonus for subs comes into play only after lvl 20. And your main source of XP are quest rewards, which are not shared even if you are in a group, but instead are assigned individually to each person that qualifies (ie: only to you for your class story quests, and to everyone who finished the quest for side quests). XP for killing mobs is shared, yeah, but it's a trivial thing, really, and you save plenty of time by having someone to help you.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Cleared Korriban as Sith tag team of Warrior and Inquisitor with corvus.
It was absolutely juvenile sith rubbish brand of writing. Pathetic.
I get the impression that the writers are trying a little bit too hard to add grimdark into Korriban and the end result is just a sequence of detached edginess.
It really paled in comparison to the Bounty Hunter / Agent run we've experienced in Hutta.
We're contemplating whether to delete these characters and try their Republic counterparts.
Guess we'll see this weekend.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
It was absolutely juvenile sith rubbish brand of writing. Pathetic.

This, unfortunately. My "favorite" part is the Sith Warrior reciting the Sith Code at the command of his future Master. It gets a bit better later, esp. with the Inquisitor.

We're contemplating whether to delete these characters and try their Republic counterparts.

Dare not betray the Empire!

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm told the Republic classes are all even worse when it comes to storylines.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Agent and Bounty Hunter are the only ones worth playing, though the female Inquisitor has some nice voice acting. 6 out of the 8 storylines are so dull they might as well have offered an auto-skip feature.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Agent and Bounty Hunter are the only ones worth playing, though the female Inquisitor has some nice voice acting. 6 out of the 8 storylines are so dull they might as well have offered an auto-skip feature.

My good man, you don't even know what you don't know. There *is* an auto-skip feature for the dialogues :smug:

I will, however, disagree on the Bounty Hunter storyline. I found it to be the worst on the Imperial side, due to grave logical errors in Chapter 3 and the sudden abandonement of the Mandalorian plotline.

Quality wise, the stories on the Imperial side go as follows: Imperial Agent > Sith Inquisitor > Sith Warrior > Bounty Hunter

Xor

Arcane
I actually thought the Warrior storyline was OK, especially if you just embrace the Bioware Evil (tm) and have fun with it. My roommate described the Inquisitor storyline to me and it sounded incredibly boring and cliche.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
I will, however, disagree on the Bounty Hunter storyline. I found it to be the worst on the Imperial side, due to grave logical errors in Chapter 3 and the sudden abandonement of the Mandalorian plotline.

Quality wise, the stories on the Imperial side go as follows: Imperial Agent > Sith Inquisitor > Sith Warrior > Bounty Hunter

Good thing the Inquisitor plotline doesn't have grave logical errors in its companion stories or abandoned plotlines about slaves and such.

RK47

Patron
I'm told the Republic classes are all even worse when it comes to storylines.

Just finished the Republic trooper in Ord Mantell.
It was a pretty bitter ending and somewhat unforeseen if it wasn't telegraphed by the writers near the end. :decline:
Taking a POV from a Trooper who is willing to do anything to save the Republic, I do get annoyed whenever corvus the Smuggler starts thinking about 'Doing Robin Hood(tm)' bullshit.
Especially when the choices came in those NPC missions where the Republic are about to do questionable shit like kidnapping, cutting deals with a crimelord, etc.
Seeing the Republic crumbling from that Trooper view is pretty good. It was miles better than Korriban but Smuggler POV was too personal and very uninvolved with the universe in general.

It's almost as if the Separatist's breakout in Ord Mantell is just a coincidence when the Smuggler got into trouble with one of her crewmember..

Whatever. I rate the Trooper better.

It started as some action hero - gung-ho and by mid-point I can start feeling the writing sobering up those heroic illusions and somewhat remove that aura of 'good' from the Republic side of the war.
It's not that great - but it'll do.

Last edited:

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Yea that's the gag really. It doesn't have much bearing on the Codex, but I'm sure it'd do wonders to piss off Star Wars/Bioware fanboys. Now I just do it because of habit.

(And the actual joke was actually that STO is nowadays quite succesful while TOR bombed hard; aside from STO being a much better game too and some context-specific trololols like STO already having extensive space combat)

RK47

Patron
Can STO allow two players complete the same mission in a group like TOR did?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom