Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starbound: 'Spiritual' successor to Terraria

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
The official release date is currently 2013. (updated 9-19-2013)

If you preorder you'll get access to the beta this year.
You'll still be able to preorder the full game after the beta has been released and thus get into the beta.

We'll release it as soon as we feel it's ready for the public to play.

We may potentially send press previews out to youtubers and other members of the press, if we feel the game is in a state at which the press can successfully preview it. This build will likely not be ready for players because it may contain game breaking bugs. However, as soon as a build that IS ready for players is available, the players will get it. It won't be held back for members of the press to get an early preview. If it so happens that we end up with a build that's suitable for players before we send anything to the press, press and players will get it at the same time.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Yeah, I'll give them that, there aren't many developers who are as open about the development process as these guys. I just wish they would hurry the fuck up. :<

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
October 30, 2013 in News

Hello,

Yup the title includes the word beta, that’s because it’s really not very far off now.

I wanted to provide some info on exactly how we’re going to run the beta and what you can expect if you choose to take part.

The beta will come in 3 main stages.

stage1

Progenitor

Stage 1 will be move at a breakneck speed. This will be the buggiest and busiest stage of the beta. A bunch of unfinished features will be disabled whilst we finish them up. Updates will come thick and fast, sometimes as often as multiple updates a day.

If you choose to take part during stage 1 you should expect bugs, lots of balance changes, you shouldn’t get too attached to your character or universe as we may make changes that require you to start from scratch. You should expect the game to be broken at points as we make sweeping changes but you’ll get to enjoy exciting new content added constantly. The engine won’t optimized during this stage of the beta so performance could be poor on some low end machines.

You’ll get to see a bunch of ‘behind the scenes’ content at this stage and provide feedback during this crucial period.

DO take part in this stage if:

- You enjoy testing buggy and unfinished code

- You enjoy providing feedback

- You want to leave your mark on the game

- You just can’t wait any longer

DO NOT take part in this stage if:

- Bugs infuriate you

- You don’t like spoilers

- You can’t stand losing your save

- You want the full Starbound ‘experience’ the first time you play.

stage2

Automaton

Stage 2 will be largely feature complete. You’ll still find the odd bug but they’re unlikely to be game breaking and the chance of you losing your character or save is minimal. The main quest line won’t be in yet but the sandbox experience will be near complete. All sectors of the galaxy will be available including sector X (End game content). Much of the focus in this stage will be on bug fixing, optimization and balance.

- You enjoy reporting bugs/bughunting

- You have a low spec computer and want to make sure the game is optimized for it

- You want a complete sandbox experience

- You tried to wait a bit longer but failed

- You want to play through the main quest line

- You want to be a Novakid

stage3

Bio-organic

Stage 3 is largely about prepping for v1.0, this means finishing up the main quest line and implementing the post beta content. i.e. the Novakids, fossils. By the time stage 3 is complete Starbound should be ready to launch as a finished game. Worry not however, we plan to keep adding new content for at least a year after release, perhaps a lot longer.

- You want to give feedback on what will become the finished game

- You’d rather wait a litttttle bit longer and play the polished final version

- You’re still busy playing Pokémon X/Y

——————–

So it won’t be too long now guys, I just wanted to clue you in on what we’re planning. We’re all pushing as hard as we can to start this up as soon as possible.

Stage 2 sounds like what they had originally planned for the open beta, so I guess they're just giving access to the daily dev builds with stage 1 so they don't have to eat their promise of beta coming out this year. Everything always grinds to a halt in december so stage 2 might not be out until next year.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I'll probably get this once they make it available on Steam for Gabebux.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I do believe that everyone who pre-ordered will be getting a Steam key. Probably not in stage 1 if they're planning on releasing multiple updates daily.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Yeah they will, but I'd rather spend fake money than real money.

Alchemist

Arcane
So the beta is coming in about 10 hours - anyone getting in on this?

roll-a-die

Magister
Already in the beta, had a lot of fun with Terraria and the premise sounds interesting.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Any idea how far away from a 'release' version they are? That is, how long will the beta period last?

roll-a-die

Magister
Any idea how far away from a 'release' version they are? That is, how long will the beta period last?
Tiy's last estimate was 6 months for full release, 3 months of roughly daily updates until Beta Phase 2. At least that's what I've heard. Not too sure how credible that info was.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I have yet to receive my email from Chucklefish regarding the mask I get to design for pledging at the $500 tier.

Guess that'll come later, maybe?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I'm still debating on if I want to play it now or wait til it's more polished. (phase 2 maybe...)

The graphics, as put forth in that video, put me off. The monsters look like rejects from the Spongebob Squarepants show.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Pretty interesting so far, but they need to increase the speed of every kind of mining/chopping/et cetera by about 2x. I'm not just talking about the Matter Manipulator, either.

Also, the Hunting Bow does shit damage and is really annoying to use, so I hope I figure out farming soon. I can't seem to figure out how to actually pick mature crops.

Repressed Homosexual
Doesn't look very interesting honestly, some sort of Metroid like with tons of grinding and endless, randomly generated, indistinct levels. Why one would play that instead of one of the many upcoming indie Metroid likes with tight level design is beyond me. Scouring endless wasteland levels and grinding mining/chopping is a huge waste of time.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Doesn't look very interesting honestly, some sort of Metroid like with tons of grinding and endless, randomly generated, indistinct levels. Why one would play that instead of one of the many upcoming indie Metroid likes with tight level design is beyond me. Scouring endless wasteland levels and grinding mining/chopping is a huge waste of time.

Says the console/android/tablet 'tard.

roll-a-die

Magister
Pretty interesting so far, but they need to increase the speed of every kind of mining/chopping/et cetera by about 2x. I'm not just talking about the Matter Manipulator, either.

Also, the Hunting Bow does shit damage and is really annoying to use, so I hope I figure out farming soon. I can't seem to figure out how to actually pick mature crops.
Hit E on them/Middleclick.

Also speed is fine, keep in mind if you are just figuring out crafting you are still only in like the first little bit of the game.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
The (lack of) speed isn't surprising. It's just like in Terraria where the entry tier tools took forever to mine/cut. Anyways, game crashed for me when I tried to shoot my bow. D:

roll-a-die

Magister
The (lack of) speed isn't surprising. It's just like in Terraria where the entry tier tools took forever to mine/cut. Anyways, game crashed for me when I tried to shoot my bow. D:
That indicates you are on a mac, we shall now proceed to shame you.

By the way, tomorrows patch should fix a fair few bugs apparently. Then content the day after, then another bug fixing sweep, then content, then bug fixing is apparently going to be their pattern.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom