Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starbound: 'Spiritual' successor to Terraria

toroid

Arcane
So far I've decided to follow standard indie game purchase consideration protocol: Wait six months to a year for the games' development to actually reach a stage resembling completion then buy during a big sale.

Last edited:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
You do that a lot to stroke your own ego.

This from the guy who made a point of using an entire post just to brag "Just Russian 4-packed this bitch -- $6 Starbound!"; when others predictably asked how you obtained said discount, you produced some smug nonsense about Codex Electronic Arts Fan Club proprietary secrets, rather than explaining yourself as a non-douchebag might do.

People really don't know how to 'obtain said discount?'

I wonder how many people on the codex realize that simply posting two sentances+an image does not an argument make.

Probably 1%? Welcome to the Codex.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I think it's pretty fantastic for an early beta, though it does need some work. There's a lot you guys might not have seen yet, such as asteroids with advanced starship fuel (build a tower towards space from a planet surface), ancient tombs, penal colonies, secret moon bases, bandit camps, sky pirates, cultists, villages, various bosses that drop legendary weapons, numerous tech items, and I believe you get your space station after you beat the UFO boss. There are already shitloads of blocks and decorations, so if you enjoy building, you can do quite a lot of it.

It definitely needs mechanisms/wiring, more stuff to find and do underground, several more planet types (tundra, volcanic, water, perhaps landable gas giants if you have the tech), improved enemy AI/behavior, customizable weapon and armor mods, more tools, weapons, armor and such in general, more crafting and recipes, customizable starship (there's already a mod for this actually), performance optimization, placeholder and grammar cleanup, etc.

It's already quite fun if you enjoy building and playing multiplayer, and also exploration. If you enjoy none of those things, then yeah, you should probably wait until after release for more/better gameplay mechanics.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I think the problem is the grind and tedium in the tutorial level. I still haven't left the first planet because there's not much to do, mining is horribly tedious and I got bored long before I even came close to finishing my iron armor set, much less all the way through to the distress beacon. There was one hostile Glitch colony on the planet, which I've wiped out and there's nothing more to be done except mining now.

The mining speed should definitely be increased so that it's closer to something like Terraria.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Unlike Terraria however, you can mine 9 blocks at a time. Chucklefish increased mining speed slightly, and personally I feel that it's now on par with Terraria in terms of speed. Once you upgrade to a gold, platinum, or especially a diamond pickaxe, digging around in planets is a breeze—and presumably there will be much more powerful digging tools than the best pickaxe, as is also the case in Terraria. The real problem in my view is that stone and metal building blocks (i.e. decoration) take a bit too long to demolish considering how many of them you need. Easy solution: Scan one block of a type into the Printer, then mass-produce them.

I definitely agree it's a bit slow to start, and that wouldn't be a huge problem except that characters will be wiped at intervals as patches are rolled out. I assume that building blocks and all their stuff will also be gone, and I don't want to spend an entire day mining decorative blocks, only to have them vanish next week. HOWEVER, Tiyuri mentioned that he's added a way to "cheat" your way up a few tiers. I haven't looked into it, but I'm glad to hear it. In fact, cheat codes in general for testing and fun purposes pre-release should come in handy. I expect a bunch of mods within the next few weeks.

Mortmal

Arcane
Just tried it , while i am a terraria fan and quite patient , that tutorial is indeed boring. I am at the stage of crafting the distress beacon . So they warn you gear up before using it, well i crafted all i possibly could craft, the iron armor set, and got weapons found in chest. Problem is crafting the beacon takes another grind session, and the ufo encounter doesnt last long, one mistake and you are back to grinding trying to recraft one. I tried to dig under the troopers as even with full armor set they can one shot me , taking them one by one in melee as the bow is crap , then the ufo disappears... Tedious and boring , i was expecting something a little more fun than that.
Maybe you need to explore more planets first, i tried to do that and only found things one shotting me again ...I cant blame people getting it at russian price, its certainly not worth its price atm.

Now i read there will be save wipes ? No way i am restarting from zero again, no way! Maybe in a few months when its heavily patched , its sadly another humble bundle fodder.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Just tried it , while i am a terraria fan and quite patient , that tutorial is indeed boring. I am at the stage of crafting the distress beacon . So they warn you gear up before using it, well i crafted all i possibly could craft, the iron armor set, and got weapons found in chest. Problem is crafting the beacon takes another grind session, and the ufo encounter doesnt last long, one mistake and you are back to grinding trying to recraft one. I tried to dig under the troopers as even with full armor set they can one shot me , taking them one by one in melee as the bow is crap , then the ufo disappears... Tedious and boring , i was expecting something a little more fun than that.
Maybe you need to explore more planets first, i tried to do that and only found things one shotting me again ...I cant blame people getting it at russian price, its certainly not worth its price atm.

Now i read there will be save wipes ? No way i am restarting from zero again, no way! Maybe in a few months when its heavily patched , its sadly another humble bundle fodder.

I always suspected you were a dumbass going by your posts in the Star Citizen thread, and this confirms it.

Your overall armor level, displayed to the right of your armor set, indicates that creatures of an equivalent level will deal "normal" damage to you. With the iron armor set, your overall armor level is 5, meaning a level 5 creature will hit you for 10 damage with a normal attack, while a level 6 creature might hit you for 13, or a level 4 creature for 7.

On planets during the day, creatures' levels will range from -1 to +1 the "threat level" of the planet. At night, they'll typically be +2 to +3 the threat level. Thus, if you land on a threat 10 planet in iron armor, you'll get one-shot. Try threat level 3-5 planets when wearing iron. (When wearing copper, stick to threat level 2-3; when wearing starter armor, stick to threat level 1).

Copper and iron are extremely easy to find, just run along the planet's surface and also dig a bit. It takes at most 2-3 hours to get copper, then iron armor, and only because there's a lot to juggle in the very beginning what with hunting food, gathering wood, and less efficient tools.

You need silver armor before you fight the UFO and take on threat 8-10 planets. Silver gives you a huge jump from overall armor level 5 (iron) to overall level 10. With silver, the UFO and its minions do fairly small amounts of damage. All you have to do to find silver is dig a long ways down into the planet, at which point there will be huge piles of gold and silver everywhere. It's still annoying to reach the UFO without a gun, but you can build platforms, leap up, and smack it when the opportunity presents itself.

Note that the Armor Penetration stat of weapons is extremely important, far more so than listed damage. It's similar to the "overall level" for armor, or threat level for planets.

This is basic, simple shit that the average retard figured out within the first day. What the fuck is the matter with you?

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
The armour penetration stat is not important at all because they are ditching the system in the next patch.

For the time being, it's very important. The system definitely needs to be revamped, no question about it.

It aggravates me that weapon swing speed is reset when you switch to a weapon, such that if you're using a weapon with a very low speed, you might have to wait a second or slightly longer before you can even take the first swing. Since enemies charge instantaneously and at ludicrous speed in this game, that's a real pain in the ass while using any tool or item other than your weapon.

Mortmal

Arcane

I always suspected you were a dumbass going by your posts in the Star Citizen thread, and this confirms it.

Your overall armor level, displayed to the right of your armor set, indicates that creatures of an equivalent level will deal "normal" damage to you. With the iron armor set, your overall armor level is 5, meaning a level 5 creature will hit you for 10 damage with a normal attack, while a level 6 creature might hit you for 13, or a level 4 creature for 7.

On planets during the day, creatures' levels will range from -1 to +1 the "threat level" of the planet. At night, they'll typically be +2 to +3 the threat level. Thus, if you land on a threat 10 planet in iron armor, you'll get one-shot. Try threat level 3-5 planets when wearing iron. (When wearing copper, stick to threat level 2-3; when wearing starter armor, stick to threat level 1).

Copper and iron are extremely easy to find, just run along the planet's surface and also dig a bit. It takes at most 2-3 hours to get copper, then iron armor, and only because there's a lot to juggle in the very beginning what with hunting food, gathering wood, and less efficient tools.

You need silver armor before you fight the UFO and take on threat 8-10 planets. Silver gives you a huge jump from overall armor level 5 (iron) to overall level 10. With silver, the UFO and its minions do fairly small amounts of damage. All you have to do to find silver is dig a long ways down into the planet, at which point there will be huge piles of gold and silver everywhere. It's still annoying to reach the UFO without a gun, but you can build platforms, leap up, and smack it when the opportunity presents itself.

Note that the Armor Penetration stat of weapons is extremely important, far more so than listed damage. It's similar to the "overall level" for armor, or threat level for planets.

This is basic, simple shit that the average retard figured out within the first day. What the fuck is the matter with you?

Let me see, they start giving you very basic basic instructions craft a few very trivial things, no problem at al handholding at its finest , the easy basic stuff requring no explanation is explained , then suddendly they throw at you a timed impossible encounter..... You are by far the most arrogant guy i've seen on the codex, no manners, insulting everyone once they even slightly disagree with you .Maybe you are white knighting those guys before you threw large amount of cash at this again , but this is clearly poor design.

At this stage of the tutorial you can craft iron armor if you already spent quite a long time digging gathering the ore, around 4h . Its randomized maybe i had not enough luck, but it was hard getting everything.If silver is a big boost then its again considerable grindng and not so much exploration. I understood the armor system thats not the problem ,i know why they are one shoting me , the problem is the amount of time to gather it + of course the "pixel" cost , after like 5h of gaming i have like 10 silver ingots int he inventory left, thats a lot of grinding again id'rather do something else.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I'm arrogant in the face of blatant stupidity, yes, and doubly so since you're spreading exaggerated inaccuracies about the "grinding" required (I'll get to that in a moment). What it really is, is your inexperience with the game (and the fact that this is an early beta)... and that's completely fine, but instead of blaming your own lack of experience and keeping in mind that the game's still being tested, you blame the game and start spewing childish insults. I note you complain about hand-holding—yet in the very next sentence, you also complain that they didn't hold your hand enough by explicitly telling you that you shouldn't attempt the Distress Beacon portion of the introductory tasks until you've got silver armor.

It doesn't take anywhere near that long to gather silver, let alone copper or iron. For copper and iron, you can spend 15 minutes chopping down trees with an axe that can be made in 30 seconds, then use the unrefined wood as fuel to travel to threat 1 desert or arid planets and dig coal, copper, and iron ore out of sand-type blocks right on the surface. They're extremely easy to find, and sand blocks are quick and easy to mine. We're talking about one hour, max. For the necessary Pixels (these costs have been reduced by the way), add in an extra hour, and that's two hours. Once you have platforms, plenty of torches, a decent pick, and iron armor, it takes at most 30-40 minutes to dig enough silver for the silver armor. After you dig down far enough, it's absolutely everywhere, and so is gold.

If you consider five or six hours total too much time to move up three armor tiers, snag some weapons and treasure chests along the way, begin collecting blocks and decorations, and really open up the next phase of the game (Beta sector), then there are Nintendo Wii Us featuring $60 six-hour games suited to your popamole attention span available for purchase.

Mortmal

Arcane
Blatant stupitidity ? the irony , i cant wait when they will make star citizen the new mmo flagship for the PS4 , i would really like to see your face when it will happen.
I dont read guides before playing the game, nor wiki, it spoils the experience, you can say what you want but that tutorial is first boring then frustrating . Yes maybe a friendly hint that you may need silver amror level before using the distress beacon would be nice, gathering the material to do it was long and boring, i digged down to lava ,silver and gold were nowhere to be seen , i am not the only one who had trouble according forums . If its completely randomized it makes sense there will be planets with a lot and others with absolutely nothing . Maybe theres ton of hidden stuff, i've seen cities on other planets, looted chests in front of guards , there's maybe something awesome hidden, but they really did a good job at hidding it .Cutting the same reskinned cute monsters and slowly mining dont do it for me anymore, i am not entertained.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
New massive patch downloaded, game still doesn't work and just spews a ton of "access violation" messages.

Still less buggy than X Stillbirth amirite?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Still? I've been running it on a shitty Mac and it's worked just fine for me. Also, newsflash: it's an early access/beta. X-Afterbirth was billed as a finished released. Starbound devs said their game will probably be in-flux for several months.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
True, but this bug was one of the first to be reported, and being pretty major you'd think they'd give it priority for the first bugfix release. I'd just like to get into the damn game to see what it's like

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It's glorious! They're implementing a major update in a day or so (which will probably include a character wipe) so hopefully that fixes your issues.

roll-a-die

Magister
New massive patch downloaded, game still doesn't work and just spews a ton of "access violation" messages.

Are you still on XP? They should ditch support for such antiquated OSes altogether.
Fuck you.
Hey now you just met the guy, I wouldn't be offering him your body just yet, maybe second date?

And I know your pain, windows 8.1 as well. However not experiencing any problems launching the game.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron

Are you still on XP? They should ditch support for such antiquated OSes altogether.
Fuck you.
Hey now you just met the guy, I wouldn't be offering him your body just yet, maybe second date?

And I know your pain, windows 8.1 as well. However not experiencing any problems launching the game.

64-bit, or the lowly peasant 32bit version? It seems on the forums everyone complaining about this issue is running the 64bit version like me.

Edit: Someone on the official forum also posted the solution: you have to set launcher.exe to run as an Administrator. Now I get to play some Terraria IN SPAAAAAAACE too!

zeitgeist

Magister
Are completely custom built spaceships a planned feature? I was really disappointed to see that you can only decorate the interior.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom