Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starcraft 2 fries your GPU.

Twinkle

Liturgist
It's not all that hot compared even to the older stuff like Crysis. Or GTA 4.

The main flaws of SC2's engine are poor CPU utilization and lack of AA. Shit cooling is the problem of dumbasses who buy laptops for hardware intensive gaming.

ChristofferC said:
Overweight Manatee said:
If a graphics card overheats simply because it is under 100% utilization, its the graphics card's fault. Plenty of games will render at 300 FPS while you are doing nothing in menus.
They skimp on the cooling because almost no game stresses the GPU to 100%. There are benchmark apps that will stress your GPU way more than most games.

No, most cards are adequately cooled. Any manufacturer that provided cards that died because they were actually used would be hung. Its more likely that people are overclocking and/or not providing adequate airflow into and out of their case. Or its because they live in an area with a very high ambient temperature. Holy shit, global warming is affecting even the gaming community!

racofer

Thread Incliner
I've gotta say though that performance on this game is quite abysmal for what it delivers. Even Bethesda shit runs way, way better.

I have no clue what blizzard has done to this engine but it can bring my quad to a crawl (like 15 fps on the single player campaign) depending on how many units are on screen. Graphically my gts250 handles it fine as lowering or raising details to min/max doesn't change anything performance wise. Hell, even Soulstorm (which is known to be poorly optimized) runs silky smooth with units covering the entire screen shooting each other.

Well my C2D e8400 3GHZ and GTS250 can't handle it neither. And I refuse to play at 20 FPS, so for moment I set everything related to shadows in variables.txt to "0", I've also added "shadows=0" line and shadows disappeared altogether. So far it seems to have helped a lot, FPS never drops below 50, but mission I'm currently playing doesn't have massive unit quantities so time will tell. It's annoying that I can't set shadows to "low" in-game unless I also set shaders to "low". I hate that kind of shit. Although game suggests for my system that I set shaders to "Ultra" and shadows to "Low", very funny.
By the way, any lines I add to variables.txt get removed by game unless I set the file to "read-only", so beware.

Kraszu

Prophet
Overweight Manatee said:
Plenty of games will render at 300 FPS while you are doing nothing in menus.

How is that not a software fault then? Doing nothing in the menus should not stress your GPU.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Volrath said:
Mikayel said:
This is... strange, Blizzard's always been good about making sure their games don't have AIDS (from technical standpoints), why the sudden lapse into retardoland?
Kotick.png

Kraszu said:
Overweight Manatee said:

How is that not a software fault then? Doing nothing in the menus should not stress your GPU.

It is a software fault, but it shouldn't fry a graphics card unless either the manufacturer fucked up big time or the user is doing something stupid. Every card today should detect high temps and throttle back or increase fan speed.

Twinkle

Liturgist
Overweight Manatee said:
Kraszu said:
Overweight Manatee said:

It is a software fault, but it shouldn't fry a graphics card unless either the manufacturer fucked up big time or the user is doing something stupid. Every card today should detect high temps and throttle back or increase fan speed.

I didn't notice anything like this maybe because I always have Vsync+Triple Buffering on, so my framerate is already capped.

CryptRider

Educated
bullshit no game can fry your gpu.

if the gpu fries it means you had bad cooling.

CryptRider

Educated
fizzelopeguss said:
CryptRider said:
bullshit no game can fry your gpu.

if the gpu fries it means you had bad cooling.

Shouldn't these GPU's have voltage throttling and error correction precisely for this kind of thing.

If you don't overclock your gpu and it is running on stock settings with stock fan and everything is ok with your hardware there is no way it can fry because there is a certain threshold that it won't go above.

Those who tinker with overclocking and/or fan and then whine on software should be shot on sight.

Be sure to clean your fans physicaly from the dust like half a year more or less , the temp on my card goes down by 5-8 C after cleaning.

in sc2 in stress i never go beyond 50C just like in all other games.

conlusion : pc is not for dumbasses , consoletards go to your red ring of faggotry and stop spreading bs

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
ChristofferC said:
Overweight Manatee said:
If a graphics card overheats simply because it is under 100% utilization, its the graphics card's fault. Plenty of games will render at 300 FPS while you are doing nothing in menus.
They skimp on the cooling because almost no game stresses the GPU to 100%. There are benchmark apps that will stress your GPU way more than most games.
Should a menu screen really push the GPU so hard by re-drawing the screen a thousand times a second? Isn't it just bad coding because it wastes an unnecessary amount of computing power in order to achieve nothing?

Secretninja

Cipher
Some are willing to spend the extra money, and have the most full gaming experience available today. Why have an overclocked 6 core processor, 2 hd 5970s in crossfire, and a mouse with 38 buttons if you AREN'T going to render the menus hundreds of times faster than your eye can perceive or your monitor can refresh.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
DarkUnderlord said:
ChristofferC said:
Overweight Manatee said:
Should a menu screen really push the GPU so hard by re-drawing the screen a thousand times a second? Isn't it just bad coding because it wastes an unnecessary amount of computing power in order to achieve nothing?

if you put a framecap in then dorks the world over will moan because they can't size up their epeen by hitting 300fps in canned benchmarks.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Secretninja said:
Some are willing to spend the extra money, and have the most full gaming experience available today. Why have an overclocked 6 core processor, 2 hd 5970s in crossfire, and a mouse with 38 buttons if you AREN'T going to render the menus hundreds of times faster than your eye can perceive or your monitor can refresh.

:thumbsup:

Now I want to know if anyone actually has a rig set up like that and why the fuck anyone would want to. Running Crysis at 19200x12000?

CryptRider

Educated
Lesifoere said:
Secretninja said:

:thumbsup:

Now I want to know if anyone actually has a rig set up like that and why the fuck anyone would want to. Running Crysis at 19200x12000?

because they want to show-off to their online buddies on guru3d.com that they have 3 fps more in vantage or w/e popamole program , to hide their fatness ,small dick , not having sex or being a dick and seeking ego pleasure in someone stroking their online cock in approving them of having a ZOMGFUKFASTHUN pc,
or w/e.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Someone's butthurt they can't afford a new computer.

MetalCraze

Arcane
"a shootan benchmark"? More excuses please.

And try the correct definition there.
Still it's very newfaggy of you trying to learn about our meme from other place.

CryptRider

Educated
MetalCraze said:
Still it's very newfaggy of you trying to learn about our meme from other place.

it's not 'your' meme by any way , don't flatter yourself so much.

"And try the correct definition there."

I won't tell you why i equaled vantage to 'shootan benchmark' if you can't solve this out by yourself i don't realy care ,nor i'm interested in telling you , i'm not here to educate people of your kind.
All i see is verbal diarrhea but i don't actualy see YOUR definition, i gave you arguments and you give shit. who is the newfag.
irony is gold.

MetalCraze

Arcane
CryptRider said:
it's not 'your' meme by any way , don't flatter yourself so much.
It is a Codex' meme, are you saying it isn't so?

I won't tell you why i equaled vantage to 'shootan benchmark' if you can't solve this out by yourself i don't realy care ,nor i'm interested in telling you , i'm not here to educate people of your kind.
All i see is verbal diarrhea but i don't actualy see YOUR definition, i gave you arguments and you give shit. who is the newfag.
irony is gold.
You are obviously. I like how you instantly went into a butthurt defensive mode trying to weasel out by posting shit that doesn't mean anything. Keep it up.

CryptRider

Educated
It is a Codex' meme, are you saying it isn't so?

yes i am saying it isn't so

You are obviously. I like how you instantly went into a butthurt defensive mode trying to weasel out by posting shit that doesn't mean anything. Keep it up.

actualy you went first into defensive mode , just go back one page ,

you've said "don't be a retard" after my statement , you've must have been in some way BUTTHURT by my statement , if you weren't you would say "don't be a retard" to me , you wouldn't even care and would say anything. Obviously the keyword here was - POPAMOLE.

going into butthurt mode and not dealing with others shit are 2 different things.So while you go into butthurt mode , i don't deal with your shit.
irony again.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom