Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield - Epic Shit Takes from Bethestards

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
Every single quest line sucked. Some more, some less, doesn't really matter.
after taking some time off and comparing the quests in starfield with skyrim, oblivion or morrowind, I think that's fair. Starfield's quests really don't stand out to me. The quest I remember most vividly is getting coffee for a janitor in the subway, for some reason. I think Fallout 4 had the same issue, a bunch of bland/boring quests. They seem to struggle with writing that is not set in a fantasy setting.

Lemming42

Arcane
It's a big step up from Skyrim and Fo4, I think; pretty much all Skyrim's quests were boring as hell and I genuinely cannot remember any from Fo4. Starfield questlines meanwhile have some decent shootouts and setpieces, like the battle against the bug things in the freezing freight yard in the UC questline, or the final attack against the weird psycho veterans at the end of the Rangers quests, or the exploding ship near the end of CF. I thought the writing was serviceable too, interesting enough to put up with and unintrusive enough that it didn't get in the way. I liked the woman in the UC quests who was partly cloned from some past dickhead and the leaders of the pirate and anti-pirate fleets in the CF questline. Stuff like infiltrating the luxury liner to steal the whatever-it-was award and running the Red Mile were nice concepts too even if they didn't really come off.

Vic

Savant
Skyrim had some memorable quests with the Daedric lords, Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood, Civil war was interesting. Are there (civil) war quests in Starfield? Can't remember much lore besides the Terrormorph shenanigans.

Lemming42

Arcane
I don't think so, you're allowed to join both the UC and Freestar Rangers simultaneously and nobody involved really cares. There might be a couple lines about it from NPCs. I guess it kinda works in that you're explicitly a freelancer in the UC questline (iirc, at least) and in the Rangers questline you're not much more than a glorified freelancer.

ind33d

Learned
Skyrim had some memorable quests with the Daedric lords, Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood, Civil war was interesting. Are there (civil) war quests in Starfield? Can't remember much lore besides the Terrormorph shenanigans.
Starfield really needs magic items to search for during endgame. Just have a Destiny exotic hidden on a few planets or something

Vic

Savant
I'm sorry but I can't take a game seriously where I can undress my party members completely and then go into dialogue with them as if that's normal.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm sorry but I can't take a game seriously where I can undress my party members completely and then go into dialogue with them as if that's normal.
Not the game's fault you want to look at helicopter dick, nigga :lol:

Vic

Savant
"I'm working for Larian on Baldur's Gate 3"

"oh what are you responsible for?"

"well, you see, my team and I spent over 2 months to get the genitals of the characters as realistic as possible"

^^^
Since when are genitals part of an RPG? Why does this game even exist? It boggles my mind.

Robotigan

Learned
It's only a single mission, but the free Tracker's Alliance quest is probably the best one in the entire game. Charitably, you could say Starjacker got a level of attention that wasn't afforded to individual missions in the base game and maybe the base game didn't use much Zero-G because it was a super late addition to the engine. Uncharitably, you might note that the base game's lead quest designer "left" the company to join a studio that immediately went kaput, and then his replacement delivered the best set piece in the entire game. You might also note that UC Vanguard and Crimson Fleet upstaged the main quest as well. You might seriously consider if Will Shen isn't that good of a quest designer and Far Harbor's praise was more reactionary than an honest assessment of its design.
Who worked on which parts? I thought UC and Rangers were both good, Crimson Fleet was very good, and the corporation one was middling. Main quest sucked but that's par for the course with Bethesda (and it did at least have a couple of decent setpieces - I like the part where you're sneaking through the place in Neon and Issa is telling you where the guards and security systems are).
All we know for sure is that Shen was in charge of the main quest. Though it seems like Emil worked on the Crimson Fleet based on promotional videos--if you look at his screen, it's dialogue for the quest line. Also it was the one he seemed most excited to talk about.
Yeah Far Harbor did suck though, never got the praise for it. I couldn't even finish it.
Planescape Torment reasoning. It's got a heady premise and dialogue checks that play on its premise which tickles the egos of people who consider themselves RPG aficionados. Beware gamers who play too many RPGs and don't play other genres.

ind33d

Learned
"I'm working for Larian on Baldur's Gate 3"

"oh what are you responsible for?"

"well, you see, my team and I spent over 2 months to get the genitals of the characters as realistic as possible"

^^^
Since when are genitals part of an RPG? Why does this game even exist? It boggles my mind.
it's social engineering. starfield is baconian and rosicrucian to the point of literally using the words "New Atlantis." any moron can figure out why a pro-religion game about space travel and mating pressing a blonde MILF in the missionary position got reviewbombed

ind33d

Learned
Todd doubled down on paid mods.

I can't wait to see the steam page go to overwhelmingly negative.

tracker's alliance is kino, i'm hunting bounties while taking amp and swinging a katana

how does SF have so many negative reviews? it's impossible. you haven't even experienced most of the mechanics until level 50. are people just leaving New Atlantis and walking around in circles on Jemison then getting bored and uninstalling?

Vic

Savant
starfield is great fun if you're a gameplay/combat fag.

not so fun if you care about quests, dialogue, lore.

It took for me iirc 200 hours for it to get boring, that's mostly doing dungeons for xp and loot, farming mats, outpost building/crafting and exploring the galaxy. Didn't mess with the ship building.

When I did get around to doing quests I realized how pozzed it was and it just ruined the fun for me completely.

I am anticipating several mods to start a new playthru. Particularly I want to see more complex, procedurally generated dungeons, difficulty and survival mods and better items/crafting to expand the endgame, which was very lacking when I played.

Lemming42

Arcane
how does SF have so many negative reviews? it's impossible. you haven't even experienced most of the mechanics until level 50. are people just leaving New Atlantis and walking around in circles on Jemison then getting bored and uninstalling?
It doesn't put its best foot forward. A lot of people will get to New Atlantis, have their patience worn out, pick a few random planets to land on and find that there's nothing there, then quit. Alternatively people might try to do a few main quest missions since the game shepherds you toward them immediately, and those aren't likely to make people stick around.

Vic

Savant
I think a lot of "gamers" expecting interactive movies from their games adds to it to. Starfield wasn't "cinematic" enough, like no shit, this is Bethesda, go out there and make your own fun, clowns

Vic

Savant
I don't think that's the problem, I was hooked from the start. once I arrived in new atlantis I fucked off immediately into the wilds exploring and stayed there for the majority of my playtime

ind33d

Learned
starfield is great fun if you're a gameplay/combat fag.

not so fun if you care about quests, dialogue, lore.

It took for me iirc 200 hours for it to get boring, that's mostly doing dungeons for xp and loot, farming mats, outpost building/crafting and exploring the galaxy. Didn't mess with the ship building.

When I did get around to doing quests I realized how pozzed it was and it just ruined the fun for me completely.

I am anticipating several mods to start a new playthru. Particularly I want to see more complex, procedurally generated dungeons, difficulty and survival mods and better items/crafting to expand the endgame, which was very lacking when I played.
I remember having my mind blown when I was going to go to Akila but had a Freestar bounty so I built a self-service bounty terminal on my ship next to the bed where I fuck Sarah then paid it off and landed

Vic

Savant
I remember having my mind blown when I was going to go to Akila but had a Freestar bounty so I built a self-service bounty terminal on my ship next to the bed where I fuck Sarah then paid it off and landed
was that with mods or in a later patch? Don't think you could build on your ship when I played, but I think they added that in a recent update.

ind33d

Learned
was that with mods or in a later patch? Don't think you could build on your ship when I played, but I think they added that in a recent update.
it was after that quirky sex potato added ship customization

Yosharian

Arcane

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom