Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield - Epic Shit Takes from Bethestards

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
@Non-Edgy Gamer by the way, where did you get that $300M? I can only find $200M and RDR2 had a budget of $170M, that's not too much of a difference. Also considering they have a completely new universe, they have tons of voiced dialogue, and we don't really know what is going on under the hood. We also don't know how much content they have already done but are holding back for the announced DLC. We also don't know if that budget isn't planned for all content, including future DLCs. What we are seeing now may have cost them only $100M.... unless you have a better source my answer is we simply don't know yet and we have to see until the game is fully released with all DLCs and official updates.
https://exputer.com/news/games/starfield-200-million-budget-500-devs/
It’s unclear as of yet how much Starfield will cost in total with all other parameters combined, but speculation says that the final figure should be somewhere around $300-400 million, considering the stature of the title at hand and the amount of time it’s been under development. Moreover, if the 500-member development team part is correct, costs are certain to be quite higher than $200 million.
All estimates though. Considering how half-assed the game is, the randomly generated content, and the high likelihood that a lot of the 500-member team was probably located in countries like India, it could be only 150 million for all I know.

But that's still a lot more than No Man's Sky's budget with a fraction of the team.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Game is trash end of story move on to the next woke gaymer slop that will come out subhumans.
They won't move on. Bugthesda addicts will probably play this for the rest of their lives, just like every other Bugthesda game.

Todd could literally crap onto a plate and so long as he could figure out how to wrap a walking simulator around it, these people would buy it, mod it and say it was good for what was for the next 20 years.

Self-Ejected
Game is trash end of story move on to the next woke gaymer slop that will come out subhumans.
"FUCKING PRONOUUUUUUUUNS!!!!!"
Screenshot_2023-09-07_091123.png

In all honesty the game is good it has flaws that is for damn sure but give it time when the creation kit releases oh boy the fun that will bring. You can say all you want but people play bethesda games even years after the game release because modders provide new content and fantastic mod for years.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Of course there's potential. Potential to fix all the broken crap in the game. Potential to try to implement things Bethesda should have tried to implement. Potential to add passible nudity and make all the same laughable sex mods.

When someone hands you something broken and unimaginative, it has great potential to be fixed or used as a blank canvas.

Doesn't mean you should pay for it.

Be Kind Rewind

Educated
Zionist Agent
The funniest thing is tho, everybody is talking about how this game failed to be a No Man's Sky... don't they remember what state NMS was in when it was first released? LMAO
I actually do remember, SDG. Beyond No Man's Sky not having ESG writing and being completely free from niggers it was a much better space game than Niggerfield on release. What people got upset about was that they didn't have time to implement multiplayer before the deadline from Sony hit and that some content had to be cut, like the sandworms from Dune. In some ways the release version is better than the fixed version, because the minecraft basebuilding loop that Todd crammed into his game from the beginning doesn't mesh with exploration where you are supposed to go from system to system and land on new worlds, not dick around in a cookie clicker base somewhere.

The planets were also made less interesting in later NMS builds because people complained that some of them looked crappy, which is true, but that swung in both directions and normalizing them to make them all prettier removed some of the more interesting ones. Release version of NMS looked like a
roger-dean-green-yellxcep9.jpg
6xxon846kei9.jpeg
eba5yvc8cdo3.jpeg
, while the updated version looks more like in the official concept art I guess. All the most impressive features were in the game and functional and all in all it had less bugs than any Bethesda game, the only thing it lacked was the Minecraft resource grind that is in every game these days and the multiplayer. Some features they added like player owned capital ships and space stations were neat but not necessary nor advertised in the marketing.

It's impressive how an indie team (they only had a publishing deal with Sony) could put together something much more impressive and robust than a Microsoft owned studio could with an infinite budget and a massive delay.

Be Kind Rewind

Educated
Zionist Agent
When someone hands you something broken and unimaginative, it has great potential to be fixed or used as a blank canvas.
I don't think Niggerfield has the technological or systemic depth to make it a good framework for that. If someone added a mech or another vehicle with a mod for example players would just run into the invisible walls faster while finding nothing of interest. You can de-niggerfy the game, rewrite the entire plot like one of those German total conversion mods for the TES games, and it still wouldn't be a good game or an RPG. It's forever stuck as a mediocre shooter and loading screen simulator.

ColaWerewolf

Educated
Think about it. None of the steamfags were complaining about pronouns and niggers in games until Starfield launched, then all of a sudden it's like a mental switch flipped for them.

Starfield is single-handedly saving the western civilization IN REAL TIME.

Mortmal

Arcane
The funniest thing is tho, everybody is talking about how this game failed to be a No Man's Sky... don't they remember what state NMS was in when it was first released? LMAO
I actually do remember, SDG. Beyond No Man's Sky not having ESG writing and being completely free from niggers it was a much better space game than Niggerfield on release. What people got upset about was that they didn't have time to implement multiplayer before the deadline from Sony hit and that some content had to be cut, like the sandworms from Dune. In some ways the release version is better than the fixed version, because the minecraft basebuilding loop that Todd crammed into his game from the beginning doesn't mesh with exploration where you are supposed to go from system to system and land on new worlds, not dick around in a cookie clicker base somewhere.

The planets were also made less interesting in later NMS builds because people complained that some of them looked crappy, which is true, but that swung in both directions and normalizing them to make them all prettier removed some of the more interesting ones. Release version of NMS looked like a
roger-dean-green-yellxcep9.jpg
6xxon846kei9.jpeg
eba5yvc8cdo3.jpeg
, while the updated version looks more like in the official concept art I guess. All the most impressive features were in the game and functional and all in all it had less bugs than any Bethesda game, the only thing it lacked was the Minecraft resource grind that is in every game these days and the multiplayer. Some features they added like player owned capital ships and space stations were neat but not necessary nor advertised in the marketing.

It's impressive how an indie team (they only had a publishing deal with Sony) could put together something much more impressive and robust than a Microsoft owned studio could with an infinite budget and a massive delay.
Clearly, No Man's Sky faced a lot of criticism upon release, but they continued to work on it, and the planet exploration it offers is far superior to anything Starfield provides. In No Man's Sky, you can fully explore planets, even terraform them a bit to establish your bases. There's a tremendous variety and some truly alien landscapes to discover. Plus, there are legitimate reasons to build outposts. On the other hand, Starfield's planet exploration feels bland by comparison. You can't interact much inside the many small, instanced portions of planets, and there's absolutely no incentive to construct outposts; it's just a tedious task. Empyrion is doing a much better job in this regard as well.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Beyond No Man's Sky not having ESG writing and being completely free from niggers it was a much better space game than Niggerfield on release.

Besides seamless flight/exploration and an enormous galaxy (filled with even more copy&pasted repetitive POIs than Starfield, somehow), it wasn't and isn't.

Starfield has better and more complex ship combat because it does allow you to damage modules. Similarly the customization is better (although NMS's slot adjacency system has some merits) and if you want to increase cargo space you don't need to jump hoops to grind +1 cargo augments, you just buy and slap on a module (to the detriment of your wallet and ship mobility and possibly aesthetics).

Even the random radiant jobs to kill pirates in space have better variety rather than the exactly the same encounters in NMS' missions which always have you killing the same number of waves of enemy fighters.

The planets have more than one biome and gas giants exist.

And you can board and steal ships.

This is on top of No Man's Scam being such a fucking mess regarding the gameplay design to this day, that even Bethesda doing mostly the same (flawed) shit again only in space seems better. Seamless travel across a galaxy gives me jack shit if there's nothing semi-interesting to do.

Last edited:

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
You are shilling the ever living fuck outta this game and already on NG+ and yet you've not completed any of the quest lines?
doing quests now, and I have to say it's good, like, really good, for a Bethesda game. I can absolutely see how people will say it's boring. You either like it or you don't, but this game is just my jam.

Here's an example: I decided to sign up with the UC Vanguard to do some missions for them, on the way there, there was an exhibit about the history of the Settled Systems, that was cool and interesting. In one of those slideshows Londinion was mentioned, it was overrun by a Terrormorph plague and they had to destroy their spaceport to contain it, or something like that. Well, an hour or so later, exploring the city, I overheard 2 random NPCs talking and one of them said that he ran out of fuel and had to land on Toliman II, Terrormorph hell. I thought this was cool, so decided to check it out, which was really close (same location on the galaxy map) to Alpha Centauri. I of course forgot about Londinion, just wanted to see if I could find some Terrormorphs maybe. Well, I arrive there, get a warning by a patroling ship that I should better turn around, land on the planet and discover this destroyed city, and then Sarah comments, "oh, Londinion, I've heard stories about this planet..." And I'm like wow, totally didn't see this coming :lol:

Now, that's cool. Game didn't force me to listen to the exhibits, or stop and listen in on the conversation, didn't get a quest marker either. That's the strength of Bethesda games, emergent gameplay, I think they call it. And it's definitely here in Starfield.

Last edited:

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Even by Bethesda's standards (and I'm sorry for putting words "Bethesda" and "standards" in the same sentence) Starfailed is a new low. A grenade exploding in the water doesn't even make a splash in a supposedly AAA game in 2023, really? "B-b-but it doesn't matter, it's an RPG!" Yeah, it's an "RPG" where nobody even reacts to a gun in their face.

What a ridiculously lazy money grab.

Gargaune

Arcane
Why can't Bethesda into decent UI?
Man, who does anymore? Todd stopped giving a shit years ago, once he realised modders will develop his PC UI for free, but what about the rest of the industry? CBP's is a low-effort clownshow, BG3's is actively infuriating. I guess smaller PC exclusives still sort of manage, like PFKM, but the last major AAA crossplatform title I played with a great PC UI was DX4. Forget graphics, interfaces are your window into the gameplay, it drives me up a wall.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom