Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield - Epic Shit Takes from Bethestards

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
First hot NPC I've seen.

Starfield-9-11-2023-10-24-50-AM.png

That totally looks like a wig. Stellar character design right there.
To be fair, it looks more like a slightly higher resolution Oblivion in space. Which it is. Seventeen freaking years later.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
To be fair, it looks more like a slightly higher resolution Oblivion in space. Which it is. Seventeen freaking years later.
It looks better not on lowest settings :lol:

by the way, after you talk with her (in or around Galbank New Atlantis) you find her mysteriously dead in the street a while later. Several people have reported this incident and idk what is going on because she's the hottest NPC I've seen so far, but she's kind of a bitch

Last edited:

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It looks better not on lowest settings :lol:

by the way, after you talk with her (in or around Galbank New Atlantis) you find her mysteriously dead in the street a while later. Several people have reported this incident and idk what is going on because she's the hottest NPC I've seen so far, but she's kind of a bitch

After talking to you she died of cringe.

Be Kind Rewind

Educated
Zionist Agent
Besides seamless flight/exploration and an enormous galaxy (filled with even more copy&pasted repetitive POIs than Starfield, somehow), it wasn't and isn't.
Okay, so if we ignore the thing that made the game unique and interesting at all, as well as the American ideology constantly being crammed down your throat in Kikefield you're saying NMS is a worse version of Elite than Starfield is?
Starfield has better and more complex ship combat
Which is irrelevant since you're probably going to be fast traveling to locations rather than using your ship in Wokefield. Since you're actually using your ship to get around in NMS this part of the game is functional and important, even if it obviously isn't the focus of the game. You can do the usual Elite stuff, dogfights, space trading and such, but it's essentially a means to get you from planet to planet. In the space combat sim department there are countless games that do it better than Todd's masterpiss so I don't know why you'd play either that or No Man's Sky if that's what you are after.
The planets have more than one biome and gas giants exist.
They don't, there are no planets, there is just the one biome in the square that is being generated. This is important since they don't need to blend between biomes. NMS was originally made with the intent that you'd explore new planets, that the reward for getting the fuel to travel between stars would be the new biomes, which is why planets have one biome. Same reason there are no gas giants, what would be the point in a game where "See that planet? You can seamlessly land there." is the motto. So what can you do with the gas giants in Pajeetfield? Do they have any gameplay function at all?
Seamless travel across a galaxy gives me jack shit if there's nothing semi-interesting to do.
So what? There are no space games with interesting things to do in them. It's always the same pipedream, the everything game that will combine a first person shooter, Elite, a 4X game, and whatever else bullshit you can think of. They will always be shallow, there will never be anything interesting to find. No Man's Sky has a pretty cool procedural generation algo and the game is best played either by autistic kids like Minecraft or whatever they are into these days online with their friends in the most up to date version, or you can enjoy it as a screensaver game like Space Engine.

Either the multiplayer is enough for you or the format is just inherently not for you. Starshit doesn't have multiplayer so you're doing the brainless basebuilding from Minecarft/Conan Exiles/Rust/Sons of the Forest/Whatever the fuck without the company of others, making it pointless. Todd's bottom tier looter shooter pales in comparison to the Roger Dean wallpaper sim that could run on a PS4 and a Switch.

Be Kind Rewind

Educated
Zionist Agent
Clearly, No Man's Sky faced a lot of criticism upon release, but they continued to work on it, and the planet exploration it offers is far superior to anything Starfield provides. In No Man's Sky, you can fully explore planets, even terraform them a bit to establish your bases. There's a tremendous variety and some truly alien landscapes to discover. Plus, there are legitimate reasons to build outposts.
The planet exploration is entirely unique within video games and if you have the
be06833ee18a2857e484ceci8j.jpg
it might be enough for you, but I think there are many space game enthusiasts who aren't happy unless they get the Star Citizen as promised by Chris Roberts. It has to have the most advanced space dogfights seen in a video game as of yet, it has to have a fully simulated economy, it has to be an MMO, it has to have unique Ubisoft styled point of interests on thousands of planets. You can't just find a neat planet in NMS, land on it, interact with the wildlife, find some unmarked place that's neat and then take off. That isn't content. Content is when you speak to a character and get a checkbox and then go to a bandit camp in space, clear it out and get a purple item. It also has to be a great first person shooter (impossible with modern game design and fidelity, extra impossible with procgen).

They're retarded because they will shit on all the games that do one part of this great. No Man's Sky has the best procedurally generated content on the market, seamless space to planet landings, no load times, etc. Outer Wilds has the best handcrafted content and science fiction plot since games in the 90's and people are shitting on it for not being Elite or something, idk, it got a pretty bad response in the Codex thread last time I checked.

Then they get first person Diablo in space, now with extra loading screens and none of the features that made the TES series noteworthy and they gobble it up. They can even shit out a turd of political agitation on top of the goyslop stew and they'll still slurp it up. Or they'll sign over their entire bank account to Christ Roberts who's selling jpegs instead of jerry rigging netimmerse to make a woke "space" game.

The major fuckup of Sean Murray was making a game that was at all appealing to this crowd.

rubinstein

Educated

looks like something that would make me shit my pants from excitement back in like 2006
some of the comments under this video caused me 1d4 psychic damage after reading them. 2 or 3 more of these, and i will fell from my chair and crawl on the carpet like an essential skyrim npc with 2% of health left.

Yosharian

Arcane

looks like something that would make me shit my pants from excitement back in like 2006
some of the comments under this video caused me 1d4 psychic damage after reading them. 2 or 3 more of these, and i will fell from my chair and crawl on the carpet like an essential skyrim npc with 2% of health left.

Notice how she doesn't react at all?

GaelicVigil

Liturgist
For those complaining about the UI this wombyn was the creative force behind it

ss6-jpg.37245

:-D

I can't even imagine being a male developer for this company and this bitch deciding anything outside of HR. I would have loved to be a fly on the wall during her power point presentation showing off her UI abomination:

"Okay, so push Tab to get into the menu, but pushing Tab again won't take you out, it takes you further out into space. Then HOLDING tab takes you out of the menu again. Press E to confirm something, then press F1 to (umm, I forgot what that does), and press B to hotkey something."

"*raises hand*, maam? What does the do-hickey do in the bottom left corner? Nobody on the testing team ever uses it? Also why can't we directly directly trade our inventory to the ship cargo from our own inventory screen?"

I mean it seems like she just picked out random keys from the keyboard to do stuff. None of the UI is intuitive at all. I'm 25 hours in and I still forget the hold tab to exit concept. It drives me nuts.

Ben Zyklon

Educated
I feel like I already played this game before and was much better...

It was called Fallout 4.

I just don't understand but starfield is just so damn boring, I'm not saying Fallout 4 was the best game ever or anything like that but I am saying is that game is essentially Starfield but much better...

• Better perks
  • Better combat (VATS was great)
  • Better exploration
  • Better settlements and reason to do them at least thematically
  • You had a radio station full of immersive music
  • Better main quest
  • Better characters
  • Better exposition to the lore and rules of the world
  • Much better intro and clearer objectives
  • Crafting wasn't this confusive BS it is in Starfield
  • You could attach or detach mods from weapons if I remember correctly

I don't know, when does the game get better? Because I don't think it does,searching online, many, many people have expressed how boring this game feels and I feel the same.

GaelicVigil

Liturgist
I feel like I already played this game before and was much better...

It was called Fallout 4.

I just don't understand but starfield is just so damn boring, I'm not saying Fallout 4 was the best game ever or anything like that but I am saying is that game is essentially Starfield but much better...

• Better perks
  • Better combat (VATS was great)
  • Better exploration
  • Better settlements and reason to do them at least thematically
  • You had a radio station full of immersive music
  • Better main quest
  • Better characters
  • Better exposition to the lore and rules of the world
  • Much better intro and clearer objectives
  • Crafting wasn't this confusive BS it is in Starfield
  • You could attach or detach mods from weapons if I remember correctly

I don't know, when does the game get better? Because I don't think it does,searching online, many, many people have expressed how boring this game feels and I feel the same.

I agree 100%. EVERY SINGLE system in Starfield is underwhelming compared to Fallout 4 (even Fallout 3). I'm 25 hours in and the game has gotten worse, not better.

Character progression is screwy. I don't feel at all like I'm getting better at anything in the game. Like, there is no impact to what I'm upgrading really. Sure, I've found a couple better guns, but I'm at level 10 and I still feel as strong as I did at level 1. Suits have not gotten better at all. I'm still using the same 3 suits I found from level 2.

These planets are much more boring than even No Man's Sky (and even those planets were boring). Even the ones with life on them feel janky. A bunch of random alien creatures running around in circles and rocks to scan. Ok...

Storylines are terrible. Okay, Vanguard and Crimson fleet were alright...but those are the exceptions to an ocean of trash. I signed up for the Rangers and these missions are just the most bland things ever.

25 hours in and I still don't have any clue as to what the hell is going on in this universe. Apparently there was a war once, but nobody even talks about it. It seems like they tacked the story on post-production and never programmed it into the NPC dialog trees at all. Very surreal.

Nothing catastrophic or epic ever happens in this game. I mean in Skryim you had a dragon invasion. In Oblivion you had the demonic invasion. But this game is just, bland. Main story is an endless fetch quest so far. I assume at some point things get much more interesting, but I haven't seen it yet. I've gone from collecting dragon bones...errr artifacts to shout powers (Skyrim much?). So boring.

I could go on and on. I haven't even mentioned the loading screens, stiff NPC animations, boring settlements, load screens, pointless, and I MEAN POINTLESS space and spaceships.

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
There appear to be pretty decisive consequences in terms of quest lines that force you to make a binary decision at the end (microbes vs dinosaurs to deal with the terrormorphs, crimson fleet vs sysdef, etc). Characters then keep talking about your decision long after you've made it, with specific reference to what you chose. There's also been a couple random events that appear to only trigger as a result of your decision on a previous quest, as in Fo3.

There aren't any world-changing effects, but there's definitely proper concrete C&C in the faction questlines in terms of letting you make a decision and then the game remembering it. I now have access to the sysdef mission board for siding with them and the Crimson Fleet characters have been removed from the game, plus hostile CF ships now spawn as a random event; I can only assume the inverse is true if you side with CF.

Most quests also have nice minor C&C - being able to consistently avoid combat through dialogue being the most obvious example.
NPCs remembering what you say to them is also a nice gimmick. Like talking with a companion about some fluff, expressing an opinion on some random topic, basically RPing. You can select say A, B, C and D choices. And the next time you have a conversation the companion specifically mentions you saying a say C thing and how he's been thinking about it. Or catch you contradicting yourself, like hey but you've said the B stuff just recently etc. Saw stuff like this multiple times and it's really cool.

Vic

Savant
I think one poster was right when he said that the worst thing that could happen to Bethesda was to become wildly popular with Skyrim.

No, this game is not for everyone. You don't have to like the game. Everybody has different tastes. I think people who are into books understand this better because there are so many books released every day. Not everybody likes the same thing. You gave the game a fair chance, you still don't like it, just move on.

Everybody loves witcher 3 but I think the game is super boring. Especially with Starfield which is quite different from traditional RPGs it's ok to step away (and fuck off from this thread how many more people do I have to ignore ffs)

Vic

Savant
25 hours in and I still don't have any clue as to what the hell is going on in this universe. Apparently there was a war once, but nobody even talks about it. It seems like they tacked the story on post-production and never programmed it into the NPC dialog trees at all. Very surreal.
Talk with "Sarah's contact" in the MAST building and tell him you want to apply for the UC Vanguard. He will send you in the basement, there you will find a museum which will tell the whole story. And if you continue the UC Vanguard faction you will learn more about the world too. Just do quests, they will slowly fill you in about the world.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom