Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield - Epic Shit Takes from Bethestards

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
eee.jpg

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
Vic, why the fuck do you care so much about whether everyone else likes the game or not? I am enjoying the game, but there is a lot to not like about it.
He and some of the other more rabid defenders ITT previously contributed several pages of inane drive-by shitposts in BG3 threads and now that behavior is starting to look a little embarrassing since the prophesized Godd Howard did not righteously smite the pozzed tranny soros game but instead released one of his very own in a state so concerning even the Bethesda junkies who gleefully hog'd out on the $100 price tag are feeling a little polarized.
Now they're all defensive, throwing out claims that the Larian Lobby has paid off the games industry to give Starfield DISASTEROUS 7/10 reviews, that it gets good 20000 hours in once your on NG+++++, or that this game is secretly Daggerfall 2 and everyone except them is just too low IQ to get it.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected
Vic, why the fuck do you care so much about whether everyone else likes the game or not? I am enjoying the game, but there is a lot to not like about it.
He and a some of the other more rabid defenders ITT previously contributed several pages of inane drive-by shitposts in BG3 threads, and now that behavior is starting to look a little embarrassing since the prophesized Godd Howard did not righteously smite the pozzed tranny soros game but instead released one of his very own in a state so concerning even the Bethesda junkies who gleefully hog'd out on the $100 price tag are feeling a little polarized.
Now they're all defensive, throwing out claims that the Larian Lobby has paid off the games industry to give Starfield DISASTEROUS 7/10 reviews, that it gets good 20000 hours in once your on NG+++++, or that this game is secretly Daggerfall 2 and everyone except them is just too low IQ to get it.
Or maybe the game has actually redeeming qualities despite having some flaws. And this manbabies the whole existance and we are having fun with it while of course rabid manbabies keep screeching about "Muh Politics" not playing anything and instead typing furiously in a forum while breathing very fast :P

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yep, it's a critical mistake they've made, starting the player there. Especially because most people playing this will have some familiarity with Bethesda games, and therefore think that they're supposed to fully explore the whole city and finish all its quests before moving on to the next area.

Who would ever think that?

None of their other games work like this. Not "Fallout" 4, not the Elder Scrolls, nothing.

tastywaffles

Literate
Starfield is finished.

pt0YmXa.jpg

That looked a lot better in the thumbnail image.

The Community Patch includes 0 fixes from 4 contributors!
I love the open source community. Watch all 4 be graphic designers with zero coding ability.
Todd's claimed inspiration: :rpgcodex:

VRj5QhV.jpg

Todd's ACTUAL inspiration :hearnoevil:

Y9uvqYz.jpg

(this is a real movie FYI)
ofHa2Ew.jpg

bHtdrhE.jpg

Just some Christian guy in charge of tools. They couldn't be bothered to remember his name. Need a Random Christian Guy encounter mod. Every sentence he speaks begins with "My brother in Christ, ".

Last edited:

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
I'm pretty happy with how well the game is running on my below minimum specs potato, everything is on low but no lag or jitteriness and load times are good. I'm not really that sold on it yet but I got the impression that it was much more poorly optimized than it is from the early reports so I'm pleasantly surprised on that front at least.

Lemming42

Arcane
None of their other games work like this. Not "Fallout" 4, not the Elder Scrolls, nothing.
They do. You walk into Riverwood and get the Sven quest, plus the main quest hook that sends you to Whiterun, plus the Bleak Falls Barrow quest. Most players will do these quests first, and then move to Whiterun, and stick around area for a while before heading further out.

Same for Fo3's Megaton. People get the Moriarty quest, the bomb quest, the Burke quest, the Arefu quest, and the Wasteland Survival Guide. Those quests then take you very far afield, but most players will thoroughly explore Megaton and receive all those quests before heading out, because it's simply logical to do so - it gives you points of interest on the world map that you'll know to construct your exploration around, and those quests are designed to be given to beginners, which is why they're in the beginner town.

The areas themselves are also designed for beginners - the worldspace around Whiterun is fairly safe, as is the worldspace around Megaton. I imagine few Skyrim players just walk straight over to Markarth or whatever, and few Fo3 players will stride past Megaton and go straight to Old Olney (and they'd be killed if they tried).

It's intuitive to assume that New Atlantis is the beginner town equivalent to Whiterun or Megaton, since the game insists on sending you there first.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
It's intuitive to assume that New Atlantis is the beginner town equivalent to Whiterun or Megaton, since the game insists on sending you there first.
It is, but it's way too big and all the quests are boring fetch quests and the city is full with weird looking niggers.

Then you get bored and decide to explore the planets, because that's what the game's about, so you fly to a planet and start walking aroud, "exploring" and all you find is a small cave with some credits in a pile of dung and maybe some weird looking crystals.

Game does not explain that you should not run around a planet on foot trying to find something.

Game does not explain ship or base building. Nor that you will unlock spaceborn powers if you just do the quest a little more.

Figuring things out on your own takes time and normies ain't gonna do that.

It doesn't even explain many of the controls, some of them aren't even shown on the UI. It leaves so many things for the player to discover on his own.

Last edited:

Lemming42

Arcane
Yeah, that's another crucial part of the game's massive fuckup in getting off on the wrong foot. Even players who realise that New Atlantis isn't a good starting area and make the wise decision to leave will probably still stay in the nearby systems, and get stuck in the trap of exploring disappointing and boring procgen worlds. They'll then conclude, as I almost did, that the game sucks.

Really the best thing Bethesda could do is a hasty patch that tries to coax the player towards the more interesting stuff as soon as possible. Literaly like just some NPC stood at the space dock of New Atlantis who approaches the player on their first visit and is like "hey, come join the rangers! i'll give you a quest marker, come ASAP!" or whatever.

There is also a lot less handholding than other Bethesda games, definitely. You're never guided towards some pretty major mechanics, you've got to figure out their existence and utility by yourself. It's great fun but it's also not what anyone's expecting from Bethesda so it ends up feeling weird.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
I really hope starfield has a Holocaust memorial. We will never forget, not even in the year 4000!
There is, of a sort. Maybe a DLC?

Here is a negro man who claims to be a historian. He speaks of Bollywood, having ancestors from France, and Hitler.

d7sU82UHCNkd.jpg

I figure most people will want the Hitler dialogue, so I will only do one timestamp, which is at 12:11
Bollywood reference = 5:16
His ancient French ancestors = 6:41

likash

Savant
Glory to Ukraine
I really hope starfield has a Holocaust memorial. We will never forget, not even in the year 4000!
There is, of a sort. Maybe a DLC?

Here is a negro man who claims to be a historian. He speaks of Bollywood, having ancestors from France, and Hitler.

d7sU82UHCNkd.jpg

I figure most people will want the Hitler dialogue, so I will only do one timestamp, which is at 12:11
Bollywood reference = 5:16
His ancient French ancestors = 6:41

Maurice is the male gaming version of this dumbass
3c4gcgnljsva1.jpg

DemonKing

Arcane
if the gunplay is shit, I'm out.
Guess you're out then.

I tried it for a couple of hours this morning. It's literally Skyrim in space.

The graphics were pretty ordinary and not exactly filling me with awe at the vastness of space. The combat was maybe, if I'm generous, slightly improved on Skyrim but that's like saying a puddle of piss is slightly better than a turd. Space combat might have a bit more potential but it's too hard to tell from the tutorial fights.

I'll keep going for a bit but I can see myself going back to try and finish off BG3 very quickly at this stage.

darkpatriot

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Yeah, that's another crucial part of the game's massive fuckup in getting off on the wrong foot. Even players who realise that New Atlantis isn't a good starting area and make the wise decision to leave will probably still stay in the nearby systems, and get stuck in the trap of exploring disappointing and boring procgen worlds. They'll then conclude, as I almost did, that the game sucks.

Really the best thing Bethesda could do is a hasty patch that tries to coax the player towards the more interesting stuff as soon as possible. Literaly like just some NPC stood at the space dock of New Atlantis who approaches the player on their first visit and is like "hey, come join the rangers! i'll give you a quest marker, come ASAP!" or whatever.

There is also a lot less handholding than other Bethesda games, definitely. You're never guided towards some pretty major mechanics, you've got to figure out their existence and utility by yourself. It's great fun but it's also not what anyone's expecting from Bethesda so it ends up feeling weird.

I think some of the first quest board quests guide you to Gagarin, another significant settlement in the starting system with several quests. At least they did in my game. I had a quest to haul some goods and drop off 2 miners there which the starting ship has room for.

I assume those quests weren't so random and they are put there to guide you to check out Gagarin and the quests there. It was after visiting Gagarin that I started having more fun with the game. But maybe it was random and I just got lucky though.

The main quest (which as a player of previous Bethesda games I was ignoring) also quickly takes you to Mars and the settlement there once you start on it.

So I think they have some quests that are supposed to take you to some of the other places, but a lot of players have the urge to explore areas thoroughly before moving on. And there are enough easy quests that you can complete in New Atlantis that kind of keep the player there doing them if they are trying to complete quests as they receive them.

Ben Zyklon

Educated
I will add that I don't mind people enjoying the game, I enjoy BG3 even though it's plagued by woke garbage and from a gameplay standpoint has many stuff that it was better in other crpgs even old BG1 and BG2.
Also BG3 let's me play couch coop with my gf just like previous Larian games so I don't mind Larian's success, I think they deserve it but at the same time I won't make blind eye in their blatant ESG message.

If you enjoy starfield good for you just don't go and try to silence people with legit criticism of the game, be a fucking adult and recognize that is perfectly possible that you like something most people won't like and don't make a fucking fuss about it, stop being a deranged narcissist that thinks you can't possibly have bad taste in anything.

I fucking like quest 64 and people hate that game, do I feel inferior for liking it? No, I like what I like and people dislike what they dislike, we both have the right to do so and we don't need to fight about it, stop being so fucking defensive over your interests or hobbies, you are not your hobbies neither what you like or dislike brands you as a successful person or a loser and if you think it does then you have a mental illness and need therapy.

Last edited:

ADL

Prophet
giving this a go on gamepass. if the gunplay is shit, I'm out.
Gunplay is fine. I like the way the weapons feel and enemies react well to being shot. Just needs a complete rebalance to aleviate the bullet sponginess of a good majority of the enemies.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom