Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield - Epic Shit Takes from Bethestards

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
I have motion sickness but it never happened with bethesda games for some reason. It happens with old 3D games though and I can't play them for long periods at a time. Wonder if it has something to do with FOV
For me, it has to do with a lot of things. Refresh rate might play into it, and motion blur definitely makes me sick. I think screen tearing will do something similar, and that might happen in older games.

Deus Ex did it to me a little, and Anachronox fsr made me really sick while playing. But Unreal Tournament was usually fine, strangely, as was Quake 2, I think. Weird.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
Starfield-9-14-2023-6-03-12-PM.png

Vic

Savant
Good in-depth review by somebody who has spent a good amount of time playing the game, bravo.

I just have one issue with how he describes exploration:

Take travelling on foot, for instance, which is the only way to get about on any planet, apart from the loading screen trains of Alpha Centauri. This is a reminder of the worst parts of classic Bethesda - the outdated over-gamification of stamina from the likes of Morrowind - where you're constantly looking at your Oxygen and CO2 gauge in the bottom-left and your jump-pack metre in the bottom-right (maybe you're over-encumbered as well, as a treat). Stamina bars have always been present in these games but here they matter because, land on a planet, and you'll find the only things of interest - besides the objective you fast-travelled there for - are absolutely miles away. The cycle is: fast travel to planet, load into procedurally-generated area, observe the washed-out, characterless, almost unanimously ugly surroundings for a distant map marker (and I use ugly for a reason; Starfield's environmental ugliness on most planet surfaces is the ugliness of machines, the authorless sludge of generative AI-art), and run for five minutes in a straight line. If you're lucky, another procedural event might pop up - a ship lands, normally also miles away, or an enemy alien attacks - but that's it. Scan a big lump of space-metal or clear out a few space-bandits, loot what you can find, fast-travel back to your ship (god forbid I do that walk again) and move on.

While that's accurate, this is actually how I've spent the majority of my playtime. Once you land on a planet (a cell), you can look around in all directions with the scanner and find POIs, if there is nothing you want to check out (and there almost always is), you can open up the planet map, select a random spot on the planet (check biome and if it's day/night) and be in a different cell with just 1 loading screen and without the stupid landing animation. I've spent hours just exploring one planet because I liked how it looked and it had strong enemies on it. So you can get attached to certain planets.

You'll also not just be running in a straight line but you'll encounter aliens along the way. I had some nice fights with swarms of aliens that came from under ground and surrounded me. Key is chosing a higher level planet with Moderate or higher fauna.

And in regards to the stamina bar, this becomes a non-issue with Personal Atmosphere, so he either didn't get that power yet or that's some nitpicking.

This is Diablo type gameplay where you run around the map, hunting for Elites and chests to get better loot. Locations are copy-pasted so you can learn where the loot chest is in each location. There's always one boss and one loot chest, in the same location for each type of dungeon.

Sadly the itemization is very lacking, like most of Starfield's systems at the moment.

Turjan

Arcane
I was watching some videos and reading this thread, and I can't say that this game looks in any way interesting to me. Maybe, some of the side quests are fun? Then again, I usually play Bethesda games a few years after release, when all the main DLC has come out and I have a better idea of how the "finished" product looks like, not counting all those re-releases and "Creation Club" (or whatever the current name is) garbage. I spent quite a bit of time with some of those games, and much more with FO4 than with Skyrim, mostly because of mods and building stuff. I guess Skyrim bored me more than FO4, for what it's worth. Probably, because I couldn't take FO4 seriously.

Let's see when Bethesda releases horses vehicles, followed by horse armor custom paint jobs, for this game. People will probably hail them as saviors, finally relieving the player from having to walk everywhere on the random maps. We will see whether this will become freely moddable or not. These ever more encroaching ingame stores with their constant game updates are a bane for modding, anyway. At the moment, I don't see how modding can make this more fun though. There has to be something you consider worth to be tweaked.

Well, I have time to wait and see. At the moment, I'll give this a pass (easy decision though, as my computer won't be able to run it).

ArchAngel

Arcane
easy way to get some xp and money is to scan gas giants from space. they don't have anything on them so just scanning with R makes it a complete scan and gives you a data slate that you can sell for 4500 credits and get some xp
Now that you mention that I have to complain about space UI. At one point one of the missions got me to fly to one of the shipbuilder HQ, it was the Rangers quest to investigate a stolen ship. After I left that place I was thinking of going back to check out ships they sell or maybe some components I can buy but there is no way to find it again... I only knew name of the place (Holocity or something) but there is no list or search bar on the space UI. I only get names of systems and it is a pure guessing game where is what?! Nobody remembers names of systems and planets, at best you will remember names of locations on those or even names of space stations there.
How did designers of this game expect this whole shit to work?

EDIT: I even tried going to old completed quest to see if it mentions name of planet/system there but no luck LOL. Space shit is completely busted..

Readher

Savant
I don't get the obsession over FOV slider. Yes, it's weird it's not there, especially since they added it to FO76, but you can literally change your FOV by adding two lines to an ini file. FOV sliders weren't even a thing until like 2015 or so, console commands like cg_fov in Quake engine games were the norm instead.

If you have some motion sickness like me, "wrong" FOVs make the game unplayable. I wasn't able to play some of the Half Life mods because of that. Nowadays it's better since we can mod it ourselves.
I know, I absolutely loathe low FOV as well. I'm just saying that in case of Bethesda games, changing FOV is just a matter of two lines in an ini file. FOV slider is a nice convenience, but it doesn't really matter ultimately. This isn't a case of some shitty locked-down console port where you can't change FOV at all, or can only do that in some super hacky way that breaks half the game.

Vic

Savant
This isn't a case of some shitty locked-down console port where you can't change FOV at all, or can only do that in some super hacky way that breaks half the game.
no this is a case of Bethesda wanting you to make sick and puke vomit all over your screen while playing the game

man-erg

Novice
Let's see when Bethesda releases horses vehicles, followed by horse armor custom paint jobs, for this game. People will probably hail them as saviors, finally relieving the player from having to walk everywhere on the random maps. We will see whether this will become freely moddable or not. These ever more encroaching ingame stores with their constant game updates are a bane for modding, anyway. At the moment, I don't see how modding can make this more fun though. There has to be something you consider worth to be tweaked.

That pretty much covers the "thought" Bethesda have given to the space/sci-fi setting 300 years in the future. They put the word "space" in front of everything and that will do. Space pirates, space cowboys, space cities, space lasers. space miners, space bars, space shops, space ports, space pistols. Fully expecting Space Knights on Space Horses with Space Armour in the DLC. Wait for the Space Dragons and Space Vikings.

On a tangent, all the arguing about loading screens, pronouns, graphics etc, while it has it's place, is a huge distraction from the core problem of Starefield. Which is the setting is just rubbish. Arguing about "gunplay" in a game 300 years in the future is like arguing about "horse and cart driving" in a 2100 game. It will be obsolete by then anyway. Why all those 21st century antique ammo types 300 years in the future? And that's just one example. They could reskin the game to be pirates of the caribbean in 1700 and it would require nothing other than cosmetic chnages. The game needn't be in space in the first place. So yes, modding isn't going to work. Though I fully expect modders to make more creative environments, enemies and weapons than Bethesda. Because there is not one ounce of creativity in the game on release.

The lack of intelligent alien life is another oddity. When the Space Dragons appear and are just like Skyrim dragons, only in space suits, maybe then it will be clear how they made this game. It's a game of cardboard cutouts to shoot out. Redraw cutouts and call it a new game.

Oh yeah, and did humanity forget "The Wheel" in the future? Seems to be not in the game. All those things we are on the cusp of in real life - gene modifications, AI, new forms of energy. All forgotten. The game reminds me of Henry Fords saying that if the public were asked what transport they wanted, they'd have asked for a faster horse, not a Model T Ford. In Bethesda's vision of the future, it is all faster horses. And not much faster. Mostly just horses in spacesuits.

Last edited:

Rhobar121

Scholar

That pretty much covers the "thought" Bethesda have given to the space/sci-fi setting 300 years in the future. They put the word "space" in front of everything and that will do. Space pirates, space cowboys, space cities, space lasers. space miners. Fully expecting Space Knights on Space Horses with Space Armour in the DLC. Wait for the Space Dragons and Space Vikings.

On a tangent, all the arguing about loading screens, pronouns, graphics etc, while it has it's place, is a huge distraction from the core problem of Starefield. Which is the setting is just rubbish. Arguing about "gunplay" in a game 300 years in the future is like arguing about "horse and cart driving" in a 2100 game. It will be obsolete by then anyway. And that's just one example. They could reskin the game to be pirates of the caribbean in 1700 and it would require nothing other than cosmetic chnages. The game needn't be in space in the first place. So yes, modding isn't going to work. Though I fully expect modders to make more creative environments, enemies and weapons than Bethesda. Because there is not one ounce of creativity in the game on release.

The lack of intelligent alien life is another oddity. When the Space Dragons appear and are just like Skyrim dragons, only in space suits, maybe then it will be clear how they made this game. It's a game of cardboard cutouts to shoot out. Redraw cutouts and call it a new game.

Oh yeah, and did huminity forget "The Wheel" in the future? Seems to be not in the game.
The lack of aliens is funny because it would largely mask how shitty the human characters look.
I bet it would be too difficult for Todd to come up with anything other than changing skin color.

Vic

Savant
I don't know if that's just coincidence but it seems like coastal cells have a lot more aliens on them. So if you want to grind for xp these might be good places, the ones I checked have a lot of aliens. obviously requires planets with fauna and water. if you click on the edge of a continent you get something like Deciduous Forest (Coast). Forests are not a good place to hunt aliens tho because you can't see due to trees, that's just an example.

Starfield-9-14-2023-8-28-08-PM.png

Some cells you find might have a huge amount of aliens, might be good to build an outpost there to save it for grinding.

Also if you get good gear you can easily kill enemies 50 levels higher than you for better xp/loot.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
I don't know if that's just coincidence but it seems like coastal cells have a lot more aliens on them. So if you want to grind for xp these might be good places, the ones I checked have a lot of aliens. obviously requires planets with fauna and water. if you click on the edge of a continent you get something like Deciduous Forest (Coast)

Starfield-9-14-2023-8-28-08-PM.png

Some cells you find might have a huge amount of aliens, might be good to build an outpost there to save it for grinding.
If you want more excitement go explore Cowboy planet at night. Those Ashta are not toothless.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom