Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield - Epic Shit Takes from Bethestards

Elttharion

Learned

Let's hope the list of those shitcanned for this flop is equally diverse.

Except it hasn't been a flop around what matters, sales figures and projected sales figures. So no ones getting the boot?

https://insider-gaming.com/bethesda-expected-to-make-almost-1-billion-on-starfield/#:~:text=According to documents leaked as,$215 Million in year two.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/starfield-2023-reflection-success-and-failures/#:~:text=Starfield ends 2023 as a massive commercial success, topping the,after a relatively disastrous year.

Im going to play it in the next 6-8 months. It should have the right mods and Loverlabs enhancements by that time :bounce:

Microsoft literally laid off 1900 employees earlier this year...

Sure the majority were from Acti/Blizzard but Zenimax and other MS studios also fired a ton of people. They also had already laid off people from Bethesda in the beginning of 2023. I dont think it was a complete flop but this was supposed to be THE game for Xbox, in the end it was completely overshadowed by BG3.

BruceVC

Magister

Let's hope the list of those shitcanned for this flop is equally diverse.

Except it hasn't been a flop around what matters, sales figures and projected sales figures. So no ones getting the boot?

https://insider-gaming.com/bethesda-expected-to-make-almost-1-billion-on-starfield/#:~:text=According to documents leaked as,$215 Million in year two.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/starfield-2023-reflection-success-and-failures/#:~:text=Starfield ends 2023 as a massive commercial success, topping the,after a relatively disastrous year.

Im going to play it in the next 6-8 months. It should have the right mods and Loverlabs enhancements by that time :bounce:

Microsoft controls the information flow of Game Pass. The first article is projected numbers and speculation written in September of 2023. The second article is a bit more nuanced. It reads more like an opinion piece. The reference the article uses to judge Starfields metric for success, was an article written by the very same publisher, in September of 2023 as well.

The only real tangible metric is Steam. The game certainly sold well in that first month. But it fell quickly in both sales and concurrent players.

Using common sense, I believe Starfield did not meet the expectations of Bethesda/Microsoft. I think they wanted another Skyrim success story. They wanted the consistent sales and concurrent players that BG3 attained. What they were met with was an initial surge of people who tried the game on Game Pass or bought the game on Steam, realized it was a not very fun game, and stopped playing. The game is desgined for long term player engagement. From the abudance of exploration, very long winded npc's, the new game plus mechanic. I don't believe this is reception they wanted for Starfield.

Well we will see the accurate sales number after 1 year which is in September. Because the first link is about projected sales and the target for year 1 is $600 million. So we need to wait and see if they met that sales target

It doesn't bother me personally what the sales numbers are, Im still going to play it just heavily modded

Lemming42

Arcane
I'd like to hear back from some of the people who were saying in this thread that Starfield will become THE ULTIMATE MODDING PLATFORM. Granted, Creation Kit still isn't out, but the current Starfield modding scene seems dire. Most people seem to just be putting Star Wars assets in for no real reason, and the only worthwhile mods I've seen are ones that try to make the Brig component for ships useful by letting you KO and imprison people there, thus enabling bounty hunter gameplay - something which Bethesda should have done themselves given that they were the ones who put the fucking EM weapons and brig in the game and then did nothing with them.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I think it's hilarious that the game has been out for six months and there's still no CK. Even by Bethesda standards this is a bad fuckup.

Lemming42

Arcane
It's baffling because they're surely well aware of the "mods will fix it" ethos that a lot of their players have. They must have also been aware of the middling quality of Starfield, and that it was perhaps more direly in need of mods than their other games. On top of that, the game does theoretically lend itself to extensive modding moreso than TES or Fallout, given the procgen worlds and more freeform mechanics and all that.

The only explanation for no CK is that they were somehow rushed into releasing the game (absurd given the development time) or they thought they were playing some cunning trick, like let hype build for the CK to give the game a second wind in mid-2024 or something.

BruceVC

Magister
I'd like to hear back from some of the people who were saying in this thread that Starfield will become THE ULTIMATE MODDING PLATFORM. Granted, Creation Kit still isn't out, but the current Starfield modding scene seems dire. Most people seem to just be putting Star Wars assets in for no real reason, and the only worthwhile mods I've seen are ones that try to make the Brig component for ships useful by letting you KO and imprison people there, thus enabling bounty hunter gameplay - something which Bethesda should have done themselves given that they were the ones who put the fucking EM weapons and brig in the game and then did nothing with them.
I see there are about 7k mods on Nexus, I am not sure if thats normal considering the length of time the game has been out

I checked BG3 and there are 6.2k mods so maybe we just need to be patient?

BruceVC

Magister
Something else interesting from Nexus, BG3 mods have had 113 million downloads but Starfields mods are 37 million

Thats a good metric of seeing more people are actively playing BG3

Lemming42

Arcane
I see there are about 7k mods on Nexus, I am not sure if thats normal considering the length of time the game has been out
I think the problem is that it's tough to know where to start. With the likes of Oblivion and Skyrim there was plenty of obvious stuff to get cracking with, because it was immediately clear that the games could be good if what was there was improved and enhanced, but with Starfield, there's no real cohesive game in there to start bringing out. It's sort of a weird slurry of ideas - some good, but they're not presented in a way that could make a coherent game.

Starfield might lend itself to the recruit-any-NPC type mods of which there were so many for Oblivion and Skyrim, and it does make sense for Starfield since you've got a ship to bring crew onto, but I dunno. I think with TES it's a case of taking what's already there and making it better, but with Starfield, modders will essentially have to make a whole new game on top of what's already there.

You can kind of see this already in the Starfield mods that are popular, there's a lot of entirely disconnected visual "upgrades", but there's also a shitton of Star Wars stuff because Starfield itself is so blurry and incoherent that the best thing people can think to do right now is use it as the basis for some kind of Star Wars game, which will mean actively trying to remove much of the existing game and replace it with new Star Wars themed stuff.

Hobknobling

Learned
I think it's hilarious that the game has been out for six months and there's still no CK. Even by Bethesda standards this is a bad fuckup.
At this point I am 100% certain that they were going to pull a some sort of "Paid Mods 2.0" trick and now are scrambling to change plans since the game did not do as well as they expected.

Yosharian

Arcane
At this point I am 100% certain that they were going to pull a some sort of "Paid Mods 2.0" trick and now are scrambling to change plans since the game did not do as well as they expected.
Lmao yeah I'm sure they are totally not going to do that anymore because gamers are upset about the game being shit

They definitely aren't going to milk it for all it's worth regardless, nope

ArchAngel

Arcane
Something else interesting from Nexus, BG3 mods have had 113 million downloads but Starfields mods are 37 million

Thats a good metric of seeing more people are actively playing BG3
That is because all the best mods for Starfield were removed from Nexus :D

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Starfield, Bethesda’s latest RPG, is nothing short of a cosmic catastrophe. It’s a black hole of mediocrity, sucking in any semblance of fun or engagement. Its vast universe is as empty as the void of space itself, filled with monotonous quests that are as exciting as watching paint dry on a spaceship hull.

Character customization? More like character assassination. The options are so limited, they make a clone army look diverse. Dialogue options are as shallow as a puddle on Mars, and your choices impact the world as much as a pebble does a supernova.

The combat system is a disaster of intergalactic proportions. It’s as clunky as a rusted-out space junker, turning every encounter into a test of patience rather than skill. The crafting system is a labyrinthine nightmare, producing items that wouldn’t be out of place in a space trash compactor.

The graphics, while initially dazzling like a distant star, quickly reveal themselves to be a supernova of glitches. Texture pop-ins, frame rate drops, bugs, crashes - it’s like navigating through an asteroid field of technical issues.

In short, Starfield is a space odyssey of disappointment. It’s a glitch-infested, soulless void that fails to deliver on its promise of a deep, immersive RPG experience. It’s a stark reminder that not all that glitters in the night sky is gold, and sometimes, a star is just a distant, cold, and lifeless rock.

Thank you.
Can we leave the ChatGPT-generated posts on Steam?

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
Is this game worth getting, at all? Serious question, from someone who loved Morrowind and legitimately had a good time in Skyrim, at least for a while.

Caim

Arcane
Is this game worth getting, at all? Serious question, from someone who loved Morrowind and legitimately had a good time in Skyrim, at least for a while.
Bethesda modders are some of the most autistically focussed, in denial, coping, attached and obsessed people in all of gaming.

And they gave up on this game.

Consider that your answer.

Last edited:

Cohesion

Scholar
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Bethesda modders are some of the most autistically focussed, in denail, coping, attached and obsessed people in all of gaming.

And they gave up on this game.

Consider that your answer.
How dare you! Summoning Vic.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
It doesn't bother me personally what the sales numbers are, Im still going to play it just heavily modded
Considering Bethesda Softworks has yet to release the Construction Kit, while the number of people interested in Starfield dwindles, it's quite doubtful that the game will ever receive the kind of extensive modding experienced by Skyrim 12 years earlier.

Not even pirating
It's kinda amazing how hard it fails at everything it claims to be. It's a bad RPG, it's a bad space exploration game, it's a bad space combat game, it's a bad FPS.
Starfield isn't an Open World game, is more of a 'looter-shooter' than RPG, and aside from the mediocre combat there's nothing to do in space other than fast travel to the next location. What remains to be seen is whether Bethesda Softworks even realizes they are failing to develop the same fundamental type of game they established with Morrowind, or if they attribute Starfield's lack of success to other causes and make similar blunders for The Elder Scrolls VI, which will release, at minimum, 16 years after Skyrim.

jackofshadows

Magister
Worst Beth game by far. Saying this as someone who hates F3 with a passion.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom