Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Thread - now with Shattered Space horror expansion

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
So this has no modding interest? I'll never get my zero G space sex simulator now. Goddammit.

:argh: :argh: :argh: :argh:
6255 mods on the nexus currently

Modron

Arcane
True. In the Labor of Love category, RDR2 was nominated, a game literally abandoned by Rockstar.
I don't understand people being shocked when popular stuff wins popularity contests.

Edit: kek this makes my point pretty well I think take a look at one of the outstanding visual style award nominees:
ss_8470201b352f6158a6f15ff0c24d184d13b38afa.1920x1080.jpg

Another nominee in this category, at this point I expect to see a game using synty graphics pack nominated next year:
ss_8bfaaafb214a51d075065d6e75bbbc02b7078291.1920x1080.jpg

Last edited:

La vie sexuelle

Learned
There are no tools dedicated to mods yet, so they don't work as efficiently as in previous Bethesda games. This means that an update may suddenly render the mod inoperable.

Mods may fix Starfield next year.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Finished the game a couple of minutes ago. Played long enough to write a long review but we'll see about that.

The game ended with a "Rare achievement unlocked", proving that indeed, everyone got bored before getting there.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
That's not a Starfield parody. That's actually how online NPCs behave in real life.

Old Hans

Arcane
There are no tools dedicated to mods yet, so they don't work as efficiently as in previous Bethesda games. This means that an update may suddenly render the mod inoperable.

mods will never fix this awful game. It's just going to be a bunch of basic crap like "Sexy new Sarah Hair colors collection" or "different colored jackets for Sarah" this game is absolute dog shit

jackofshadows

Magister
Modders already gave up on the game, better luck next time.
Well, they don't have the tools yet. Maybe they will try at least something with it, who knows. By the way, that patricianTV guys expressed the theory that Bethpizda didn't release the tools just so people couldn't actually measure how fucking little hand-crafted content is there and therefore that wouldln't affect sales.

purupuru

Learned
Mods do take time to develop. The bigger and more script heavy mods (like the sex mods) may start popping up around this time next year, and may take another year or so to reach a stable and playable state. For example AAF for fallout 4 was first uploaded on Nexusmods in April 2018 and, iirc, stayed in a buggy beta phase for a long time despite active development. Another example of a big mod is Sim Settlements, it was released in March 2017.
Also for fallout 4 Bethesda released creation kit about 5 months after the game release, and for skyrim it was 3 months. So while I don't know why Bethesda likes to withhold the tools, the delay time for starfield's CK is not abnormal, at least not yet.

Butter

Arcane
Patron

mods will never fix this awful game. It's just going to be a bunch of basic crap like "Sexy new Sarah Hair colors collection" or "different colored jackets for Sarah" this game is absolute dog shit
Bethesda take it for granted that modders will do years of unpaid work to fix their games, but there's no reason to think that's going to happen when the base game is so fucking bad. Modders are fueled by passion, and it's really hard to feel any passion for such a soulless and bland product.

Elthosian

Arcane
This is what Starfield fans have to look forward to (in twenty years, maybe, if its mod scene isn't dead like Fallout 4's, which it almost certainly will be):

The unrecognisable, diseased husk of an already wretched game

LOL the mod scene is likely going to be trash. The NexusMods stats are pathetic, it's doing muuch worse than Fallout 4 at the time and has no chance of getting close to Skyrim.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
it has a focus and a concrete experience it's trying to achieve and so it does try to make sure it's various elements strive towards that goal
That goal being to make a vapid open world action game for consoles
Sure, but it's still a goal

designed around the player constantly fast traveling and following compass markers on autopilot
That's true for the main quest, but not for the rest
In fact one serious flaw of Oblivion (and even to some extent F3 and Skyrim), is that alot of significant side content is scattered throughout the map and the game never even hints about it
They only become apparent when the players finds these locations, which are all in places the main quest doesn't take you (so no fast travel until you actually go there) and some honestly seem like they were placed just to fill some empty spot on the map (which means these locations are basically hidden away)

But this does go to build on their intention at the time for Oblivion to be a epic adventure over a sprawling generic fantasy country

, with a main quest revolving around a gimmick that was obfuscated prior to release
Not Oblivion
It was made clear from the game's reveal that the Oblivion Gates were the central threat and also what they were

character progression that outside of a select few perks and magic powers boils down to numbers growing bigger
You can lay this criticism on the overwhelming majority of cRPG's

Again, the main difference between Oblivion (and even later Beth games to an extent) and Starfield, is that the latter is truly incapable of tying together its game mechanics
There's is nothing in Starfield in both gameplay and quests that can come together and just work for a couple of hours

Oblivion has that, at least
That's why people, even here and who aren't Bethseda fanboys, still passionately talk about things like the moment you first emerge from the prision sewers, or the Guild and Deadric quests, or lore the "Knights of the Nine", or the "Shivering Isles", or just the simple activity of trekking through the Jerall Mountains and overlooking the landscape while listening to Jeremy Soule cumming all over your eardrums

Last edited:

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
If only Emil hadn't failed upwards in the industry into lead writer and lead designer positions at Bethesda. He was the author of some of the better Thief 2 maps (he made the common favorite Life of the Party and my personal favorite of the game; Precious Cargo), he should have stayed a level designer, it was without a doubt what he has proven himself to be best at in game development. He got promoted out of the job he was most good at into jobs that he was never even competent at and stayed there due to nepotism and the games he worked on succeeding despite his terrible work on them.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
Ha, I lost interest when I got to the first city. I even tried to fly into space, but first I got bored with reaching the only pirate base on the planet, and then the pirates killed me because they had a higher level. So I should find a planet with weaker pirates, grind the level, get some resources... nope.

I haven't bought a new game since Starfield was released. And I don't know if it will happen within the next year. I'm really tired.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom