Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Thread - now with Shattered Space horror expansion

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Kinda funny that the map makes even more obvious the fact Atlantis is just a small ass district in the middle of nowhere instead of being something great, imposing.
Looks smaller than fucking Kamurocho

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
yeah but, it's still bigger than any city in their previous games, except for maybe vivec or imperial city? can't remember. It's just that the map is so huge. Those are not shrubs on the map but giant ass trees.

PlayerEmers

Educated
if bethesda devs were smart, they would add multiple coomer baits like Serana on the new DLC to pump user scores up

they cant fix the gameplay and story, might as well appeal to bottom tier users that leave positive reviews to everything that pleases their dick

ind33d

Learned
ind33d is still playing it
I have six days clocked. Starfield as a concept is one of if not the best idea for a video game. The game isn't "fun" because it's not supposed to be fun: it's a simulation. The problem right now is that while all the ship stuff and gunplay is good, everything else is unfinished. Could modders fix it? Yeah. Will they? I don't know.

Vatnik Wumao
What kills it for me is the NG+ bullshit. Perhaps I'm too OCDish to just ignore it, but yeah. Feel like I shouldn't invest in other aspects of the game until I go through with it to get all the associated stuff. Might do that later in anticipation for the expansion tho.

Lemming42

Arcane
It's been said before but one cool thing about this game is that you really can feel the DNA of games like Starflight in it. It actually does feel in some areas and some design choices like a game from 1987.

I'm playing a game called Planet's Edge from 1992 right now and, along with games like Starflight and Star Control and (sort of) Space 1889, you really can see that the designers of Starfield played these games and took inspiration from them. Flying around a vast galaxy on your own terms, landing on any planet and switching to a different gameplay mode to explore, gathering resources and looking around mostly-empty terrain, adjusting the specifics of your ship and choosing a crew and trading.

The problem is that this was really cool 30 - 35 years ago, but it's profoundly boring in 2023, and also a stupid thing to make into the core of a game that people were not unreasonably expecting to be a bit like Skyrim. I think it's an interesting study in how, as much as people might constantly opine that games were better decades ago, nobody really wants a return to the exact same design philosophies that were popular in those days (though you could argue of course that Starflight/Star Control/etc are better games than Starfield on their own terms).

Vatnik Wumao
landing on any planet and switching to a different gameplay mode to explore, gathering resources and looking around mostly-empty terrain.
Issue is that there is nowhere near enough diversity (& complexity) in the procedurally generated content. They did a somewhat ok job (for release anyway) with the diversity of the fauna to give each planet some extra character beyond just biomes, but the types of points of interest are way too few. The fact that going forward with expansions they intend to focus on fewer locations and have more handcrafted content for them is a good thing, but they should also add extra stuff for the procedurally generated content outside of those few planets that get the special treatment. Leaving it to modders is somewhat of a gamble for Bethesda at this point imho.

Vic

Savant
yeah it's no skyrim, I'm actually getting a bit excited to play looking at the mods and checking the NO SODIUM starfield reddit (jk). What I want to do this time is more outpost building and set up huge production chains, install ship mods and build a badass ship and also, hopefully, mod in a twilek waifu.

I've seen mods that improve the NG+ making the grind a bit more rewarding, and a mod that changes enemy scaling so that they level past 100, and of course better loot mods. All these combined can turn starfield into a pretty satisfying grinder imo

Baron Tahn

Scholar
Planet's Edge! One of my favorite games as a kid and have a soft spot for it for sure. Been back a couple times to play it again.

Maybe Starfield is worth a look after all...I havent been amazed with Bethesda in the past but everyone else loves them, then the majority panned Starfield but I have a theory that games I like are inversed to what most people like...Now Im wondering if I might like it after all.

Vic

Savant
some good advice is to watch what everybody else is doing and do the opposite, the masses are retarded

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I'm playing a game called Planet's Edge from 1992 right now and, along with games like Starflight and Star Control and (sort of) Space 1889, you really can see that the designers of Starfield played these games and took inspiration from them. Flying around a vast galaxy on your own terms, landing on any planet and switching to a different gameplay mode to explore, gathering resources and looking around mostly-empty terrain, adjusting the specifics of your ship and choosing a crew and trading.
If you don't mind the old DOS EGA graphics, there's also SSI's Star Command.

Damn, I miss SSI.

Vic

Savant
Anybody working on a mod to make the loot more Diablo-like and not just "does more damage"? Items that are specific for certain builds and change how you play your character? Vanilla loot is total garbage for a game with looter shooter combat and "infinite" replay ability baked in.

ind33d

Learned
In case any modders want to make Starfield good, look at the way enemy models die in Destiny and Left 4 Dead. I could shoot a Vex in the belly for 5000 hours and not get bored.

SF doesn't necessarily need gore, but it does need each enemy faction to have a unique crit spot and death animations. Even Bethesda Fallout correctly had energy weapons turn people to ash. One thing that should come up in Starfield but doesn't is ground-to-air battles, like if the player were on foot and shooting at Vertibirds or helicopters. The player gains supernatural powers, but the enemies stay impotent throughout the whole game. You never get the sense that you're overwhelmed like you do in Hell Diablo. By the time you're level 60, you should be fighting Metal Gears, not sniping fish for experience points.

In terms of Diablo loot, there is so much potential for builds that interact with other game systems: +100% damage if you've fully scanned the planet you're on, guns that reload instantly while you're on Amp, weapon mods with random rolls. Maybe Starfield just needs a Horadric Cube and runewords. Runes would really help the endgame.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom