Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Thread - now with Shattered Space horror expansion

pOcHa

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Dunno if it's the game itself or the fact that I've got a pounding headache from my 3,928th attempt to quit smoking but fucking hell the planet you go to is ugly. The most garish colours ever.
quitting smoking AND playing starfield - what are you, masochistic?

Lemming42

Arcane
quitting smoking AND playing starfield - what are you, machoistic?
I always use games as a distraction to get through withdrawal but I've wasted literally everything on previous attempts. Every major FPS and RPG franchise, all tactical shooters (including fucking Delta Force), every roguelite.

I'm down to Starfield for this one, and yes, it's making me want a smoke.

Lemming42

Arcane
Man this planet is Snooze City. They've put some effort into creating the worldspace and the lore behind it but it's just not grabbing me. Whereas expansions like Bloodmoon and Shivering Isles and Point Lookout and Dragonborn had a really strong sense of adventure and the new maps felt like a treat, this is already just sort of fading into the rest of the game, which isn't a positive thing.

The main quest so far (after actually arriving on the planet) has consisted of following a man who walks slowly and talks to you, following a woman who walks slowly and talks to you, walking through a cave where aforementioned woman won't unlock the doors until she's done speaking, walking up to a conference room where three people talk and won't let you leave until they're done, and then going down to talk to a scientist guy who has a lot more stuff to say to you. This'd be hard to stomach in Fo3 or Skyrim, but those both have really strong settings so there's at least a 3% chance that some players might care about what the NPCs are saying, but I genuinely, truly don't care what anyone I've met so far on this planet has to say.

It's the same weird stilted dialogue all the Constellation scenes had in the base game too, where it goes on way longer than it should because it's written in a profoundly stupid way like:
NPC 1: We must reach the Citadel if we are to save our planet!
NPC 2: Yes, you are correct.
(NPCs pause for a second between dialogue lines for no reason)
NPC 3: I agree.
(pause)
NPC 1: I believe we can lower the shield around the Citadel.
NPC 2: Are you sure?
NPC 3: Please do not interrupt.
NPC 2: Oh, sorry. Do go on.
NPC 3: Yes, please continue what you were saying.
NPC 1: As I was saying, the shield can be disabled.
Which the writers probably consider to be "natural-sounding" or w/e but is actually fucking annoying and just wastes your time. I unloaded like three assault rifle magazines into the wall just shooting books off the shelves while these dickheads yapped on.

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
There's something very strange about Starfield promo videos - whenever I watch them, my eyes tend to glaze over and I drift off into thinking about other things. Bills, the weather, women... Then, suddenly, "PLAY IT ON XBOX" and I snap out out of it. You know, like you're back in high school, daydreaming at your desk and the teacher suddenly calls your name. It's very disconcerting.

Everything else aside, I have no idea how anyone can listen to trailers, films, anything with the Inception Bass Queefs constantly bludgeoning their senses.

PlayerEmers

Educated
I've seen people say theres no new weapons or ship parts to mess with. All "different" weapons you find on the dlc are just base game reskins with the name va'run attached to it.
Also no new skills.

Its quite literally just more starfield lore and characters. Oh yes... more starfield lore and their npcs... riveting...

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Brand new, long awaited expansion and still can't pull more players then Skyrim.
1000007449.jpg
1000007450.jpg

Lemming42

Arcane
After playing for a couple hours last night I can't be bothered with any more of this. I think I'd rather sit back and watch someone else play it, but my girlfriend thinks Starfield is shit so I guess I'm stuck waiting to see if any YouTube people I like take it on.

jackofshadows

Magister
At this point even if they'd give away this DLC for free (which they should've done) they would still get "mixed" I'm pretty sure. People are finally fed up with their hopeless shit.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Starfield and Bethesda lead says "Morrowind and its themes and overall vibe were a big inspiration" for the Shattered Space DLC's main planet and city
"I think it’s really unique fictionally and aesthetically," Emil Pagliarulo says of Dazra city

https://www.gamesradar.com/games/rp...he-shattered-space-dlcs-main-planet-and-city/
"I think it’s really unique fictionally and aesthetically, especially when you compare it to the other cities in the game. It tells the story of a human faction that is at the edge of 'normal' civilization. Pushing the boundaries of the game’s NASAPunk aesthetic, certainly, but also, on a lot of levels, pushing the boundaries of what is and is not culturally acceptable. In fact, Morrowind and its themes and overall vibe were a big inspiration."

Photo_2024-09-30-151058.png

images

Starfield-Shattered-Space-Screenshot-002.webp

Lemming42

Arcane
You can kinda see the similarities - the plot is about warring Houses and the politics and scheming between them, and the world looks superficially weird with strange animals and plants (including some kind of alien goat that acts like a Guar). There's also a weird metaphysical religious component to the society and you're labelled an outlander and subject to local customs as soon as you arrive.

The overwhelming issue is that the Starfield setting is just not that interesting to start with, so any additions to it have to contend with the base game being so unengaging. Really the only use the setting has is as a generic backdrop to big action sequences (like the exploding ship at the end of the Crimson Fleet quest) so this kind of lore-heavy, dialogue-heavy stuff they're trying here is sadly not the right fit. I'd be interested in a DLC like this in the Elder Scrolls or Fallout setting but here it just feels like an extension on something that already failed.

Gargaune

Arcane
Dude, is this an official promo shot? Jesus Christ, how did this environmental setup get past the art department? You've got an electric pink backdrop while half the screen's lost in a washed-out navy shadow so deep that you can barely make out any detail, it's a visual trainwreck. The image is literally painful to look at, my eyes are stinging! Do Starfield's system requirements list an SSD and six grams of cocaine?

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Reviews saying it's just Nuka World in space. Maybe Nuka World was heavily inspired by Morrowind too. There was that teleporting ghoul after all...

Vyvian

Educated
I have Creation Credits from the Premium edition. Any good paid mods or should I just wait? I'll probably hang on to them
Just download them for free, it's easy to find them and Bethesda has absolutely zero checks for DLC since they are all just mods.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Starfield Next DLC Expansion Will Continue Constellation’s Storyline – Rumor

https://wccftech.com/starfield-next-dlc-constellation/
As reported by @Odah_SFA, the next expansion, which should be named "Starborn," will be about the disappearance of Constellation's founder, Sebastian Banks, providing a continuation of the organization and the Artifact storyline, which makes up much of the base game's story.

For anyone not in the know, Sebastian is the negroe that has a divinity themed picture in the Constellation HQ where the members kneel and pray to throughout specific times of the day. This is the picture that they use to pray.
F30nBiIXsAIKffg.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom