Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Thread - now with Shattered Space horror expansion

Lemming42

Arcane
oMCNRWe.png

Oof, even MrMatty!

Gargaune

Arcane
oMCNRWe.png

Oof, even MrMatty!
Bethesda's stepped in two major turds in the past year - Starfield was an all-round disappointment and Todd broke Fallout 4 for the sake of some stupid Amazon cross-promotion. Public perception is already against them and that means it's open season on Maryland's ass over on YouTube.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, don't think for a minute that Matty would say something negative about Bethesda if the winds weren't already blowing that direction.

soulburner

Cipher
I started the game yesterday with my save just about after starting NG+... and I have to say this:

Starfield is a very good game, ruined by unreal expectations both from Bethesda fans and people who thought this is gonna be a space sim.

I wanted to try it for a few minutes and start the DLC as soon as possible, but I decided to find Andreja first. I ended up not sleeping too much this night, because... I like this game and had a blast.

I'm truly worried about the team morale after the lukewarm reception of the DLC.

scytheavatar

Scholar
I started the game yesterday with my save just about after starting NG+... and I have to say this:

Starfield is a very good game, ruined by unreal expectations both from Bethesda fans and people who thought this is gonna be a space sim.

I wanted to try it for a few minutes and start the DLC as soon as possible, but I decided to find Andreja first. I ended up not sleeping too much this night, because... I like this game and had a blast.

I'm truly worried about the team morale after the lukewarm reception of the DLC.

What exactly are you worried about? At this point Starfield is a done deal and there isn't much Bethesda can do to improve the game. If you liked the game then good for you, don't let anyone change your mind. Doesn't change the fact that from a objective standpoint I don't see the point of Bethesda continuing to produce eh DLCs for this game. This is resources which should have been better spent on TESVI or even Fallout 5.

Lemming42

Arcane
Yeah, there's no doubt that the best thing Bethesda can do is cut their losses - Todd's ridiculous "ten year plan" for this game is not going to work and even if they put out some really good DLC in the future, the game got off to a bad start and it's not going to bounce back from it. The only thing that can save them at this point is TES VI and they need to put absolutely everything into it from this moment forward.

I thought Starfield was a solid game (and often unjustly maligned, despite all the very obvious legitimate criticisms it deserves) but Shattered Space isn't doing anything for me, sadly. All power to any big fans of the base game who are enjoying this but I think Bethesda have to face up to the facts; spending the next half-decade putting out Starfield DLCs that nobody plays isn't a viable road for them to follow. They need to get serious about TES VI but at the same time, what the fuck are they meant to do, anything they do put out will face the weight of impossible expectations. It's not an enviable position to be in.

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
At this point Starfield is a done deal and there isn't much Bethesda can do to improve the game. If you liked the game then good for you, don't let anyone change your mind. Doesn't change the fact that from a objective standpoint I don't see the point of Bethesda continuing to produce eh DLCs for this game. This is resources which should have been better spent on TESVI or even Fallout 5.

To be fair, these few years we've seen a few titles that have taken a disastrous initial outing and turned it around. No Man's Sky is now a legendary tale, Cyberpunk DLC was pretty good, even Fallout 76 has been regarded as "not as shit" - at least technically.

Lemming42

Arcane
I wonder if Starfield has the ingredients for such a turnaround, though - a lot of its biggest problems are weird design decisions baked into the core of the game which can't really be fixed, and on top of that it's such a disparate collection of mechanics and ideas that it's never going to find mass appeal in the way Skyrim and Fo3 did.

The best they can do is just try to build more of the same on top of what's already there, which is exactly what Shattered Space does, but it's hard to imagine how it could be enough. The absolute best case scenario is that after years of work, they end up with a galaxy populated by DLC-sized planets, some of which are decent but are also near-universally agreed to not be as fun as previous Bethesda games.

Inec0rn

Novice
I don't think there's anything redeemable about Starfield, and that Beth should scrap any future plans and put the resources on TES VI. MS should be sacking anyone involved in the design of Starfield as most of its failings are core game design. It really was that bad, and that Todd and co. thought they had a winner shows a complete disconnect from reality at the Beth.

Some of the higher ups are already doing interviews making excuses for TES VI being a pile of shit too.

GentlemanCthulhu

Liturgist
It really was that bad, and that Todd and co. thought they had a winner shows a complete disconnect from reality at the Beth.
It's interesting how this "disconnect" is finally showing its head in 2024. I guess people having less disposable income might have a lot to do with it. People are just more selective on what games they'll consume, so slopware like Shitfield and Ass Creed are flopping hard.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
It really was that bad, and that Todd and co. thought they had a winner shows a complete disconnect from reality at the Beth.
It's interesting how this "disconnect" is finally showing its head in 2024. I guess people having less disposable income might have a lot to do with it. People are just more selective on what games they'll consume, so slopware like Shitfield and Ass Creed are flopping hard.
Bethesda fans just have extremely low standards. We look at Bethesda as a company that has gotten progressively worse with each new game for the past 20 years or so, but Bethesda fans genuinely think they've been cranking out masterpiece after masterpiece. Most of them even think Fallout 76 was good, "it just had a bad launch". Basically if you give them a big open world with monsters and dungeons and legendary weapons, they'll lap it up.

Starfield failed because it didn't give them that open world. Bethesda can have shit stories and shit combat and shit progression and shit graphics, but they dropped the one thing their fans actually care about.

Yosharian

Arcane

a2e-984354922.jpg

Yosharian

Arcane
Haven't you heard Ubisoft's CEO? Entitled gamers have expectations that are too high, so games like Starfield and SW: Outlaws, with their solid quality, just aren't good enough for them. So it's all gamers' fault basically.

Oh and this is the same guy who said Skull and Bones was a quadruple A game

ind33d

Learned
Does Shattered Space add new assets or something for modders to use? ES mods usually were dependent on the expansions to install

I really dig the expansion's aesthetic, so it's a bummer if it's trash

scytheavatar

Scholar
At this point Starfield is a done deal and there isn't much Bethesda can do to improve the game. If you liked the game then good for you, don't let anyone change your mind. Doesn't change the fact that from a objective standpoint I don't see the point of Bethesda continuing to produce eh DLCs for this game. This is resources which should have been better spent on TESVI or even Fallout 5.

To be fair, these few years we've seen a few titles that have taken a disastrous initial outing and turned it around. No Man's Sky is now a legendary tale, Cyberpunk DLC was pretty good, even Fallout 76 has been regarded as "not as shit" - at least technically.

That's the thing, Starfield has no "disastrous initial outing"......... Starfield simply is a meh game that continued the direction Bethesda has been going post Skyrim. This is different from Cyberpunk 2077 which was a game that got improved from being a 5/10 game to being a 7/10 one. Starfield is already a 6 or 6.5/10 game and improving it to being a 7/10 game isn't going to make much difference. Improving it to being a 8/10 game is asking for too much cause games of that level needs to have more going from day one.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom