Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Thread - now with Shattered Space horror expansion

Orange Clock

Novice
Haven't you heard Ubisoft's CEO? Entitled gamers have expectations that are too high, so games like Starfield and SW: Outlaws, with their solid quality, just aren't good enough for them. So it's all gamers' fault basically.

Oh and this is the same guy who said Skull and Bones was a quadruple A game
Ubisoft’s CEO is the only good thing about that company. He’s the one who stood against the forces of evil:disallowed female protagonists, protected lead designers from harassment accusations, made developers actually work instead of drinking soy coffee, battled the jewrnoulist accusing him of all sins known to liberal “man”. Ever since AC III, he was the ONE who said NO to feminist propaganda… but even the mightiest amongst us could fall to the sweet talk and pressure from all sides. So he stepped down, let the “smart people” rule the company, and look there it got them: A nigger in Japan. But, alas that was enough. Ive is back faggots, tremble in terror!

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Starfield design lead says the space RPG is "in a lot of ways" the "hardest thing Bethesda has ever done" and also "the best game we've ever made"
Emil Pagliarulo says "we pushed ourselves to make something totally different"

https://www.gamesradar.com/games/rp...r-done-and-also-the-best-game-weve-ever-made/
"I think in a lot of ways, Starfield is the hardest thing Bethesda has ever done," Pagliarulo said. "We pushed ourselves to make something totally different. To just jam into an Xbox the biggest, richest space simulation RPG anyone could imagine. That we pulled it off makes Starfield something of a technical marvel. It's also, in a lot of ways, the best game we've ever made. But for us, most importantly, Starfield has its own unique personality, and now sits right next to Fallout and Elder Scrolls."

barrett-ervin.jpg

Yosharian

Arcane
Haven't you heard Ubisoft's CEO? Entitled gamers have expectations that are too high, so games like Starfield and SW: Outlaws, with their solid quality, just aren't good enough for them. So it's all gamers' fault basically.

Ubisoft’s CEO is the only good thing about that company. He’s the one who stood against the forces of evil:disallowed female protagonists, protected lead designers from harassment accusations, made developers actually work instead of drinking soy coffee, battled the jewrnoulist accusing him of all sins known to liberal “man”. Ever since AC III, he was the ONE who said NO to feminist propaganda… but even the mightiest amongst us could fall to the sweet talk and pressure from all sides. So he stepped down, let the “smart people” rule the company, and look there it got them: A nigger in Japan. But, alas that was enough. Ive is back faggots, tremble in terror!
Grow up.

ind33d

Learned
Starfield could release potato graphics options and just lock up the Steam Deck market. For a handheld title, it would be pretty good. The whole metagame of resource extraction and shipping networks is basically Fallout Shelter or other mobile games

Last edited:

PlayerEmers

Educated

Lemming42

Arcane
I can see how from his perspective it would have been incredible to see the game take shape, with so many different functional systems crammed in and such a huge worldspace to explore. The problem for players is that none of the systems interact with each other or click together so it's just a massive dose of pointless shit.

The setting is the real killer though, I was shocked to hear Emil still going on about "NASApunk" in some of the Shattered Space pre-release stuff because that whole "aesthetic" was a complete misfire that barely even exists in the finished game.

They needed aliens. A small handful of people will disagree and say "oh no, but it's Hard Sci-Fi", but let's be fucking real, they needed a sexy blue-skinned alien man with a gruff voice (Elias Toufexis would have been best deployed in this capacity rather than as whatever the fuck Sam is meant to be), and a gorgeous purple-skinned alien woman with a vaguely eastern European accent (again, Cissy Jones could have done this superbly and it would have given her more to work with than the Andreja character does). That literally would have saved the game in the public's eyes.

As it is, it's got the plodding and tedious pace and muted, boring setting of some kind of 1970s existential sci-fi work, except it's got nothing to say and the best parts are just dumb action sequences anyway. Aliens. It needed aliens. Emil's doomed NASApunk garbage should have been swapped out for something fun like retrofuturistic pulp or Mass Effect 1 style low-budget 1980s sci-fi or something.

PlayerEmers

Educated
They needed aliens. A small handful of people will disagree and say "oh no, but it's Hard Sci-Fi", but let's be fucking real, they needed a sexy blue-skinned alien man with a gruff voice (Elias Toufexis would have been best deployed in this capacity rather than as whatever the fuck Sam is meant to be), and a gorgeous purple-skinned alien woman with a vaguely eastern European accent (again, Cissy Jones could have done this superbly and it would have given her more to work with than the Andreja character does). That literally would have saved the game in the public's eyes.
I said before and I will say again: Bethesda cant make grounded settings interesting. They need fantasy, they need to go bonkers. Its their hook and without it, everyone can see how painfully mediocre their stuff is.
Give us blue hot aliens please, thank you.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
The very simple truth is that they needed a curated open world(s) (a few planets worth) with a lot of handcrafted interesting locations. Everything else is just (aliens, vehicles, mechs etc) a wishlist. Adding aliens would have been cool, but that would not have saved the game. They needed to follow the Skyrim/Fallout formula but with planets worth of it. I could go on and on (and have) about the things that bother me about Starfield. But the bottom line is, they failed, like Butter has already mentioned, at the one thing they are good at.

PlayerEmers

Educated
Adding aliens would have been cool, but that would not have saved the game.
Perhaps not save the game per say, but if bethesda had the intent to go fantasy space sci-fi since the very beginning of development, everything they designed, from lore to gameplay would've taken a different path. That path would've been 100% more interesting than what we got, thats for sure.

Orange Clock

Novice

Here’s a citation:
From wiki: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yves_Guillemot
Guillemot has been criticized as a central figure in the ongoing Ubisoft workplace sexual misconduct scandal. Although not personally implicated in the misconduct, internal communications revealed that he was aware of and tolerated it for years, "as long as these managers' results exceeds their toxicity level". He has been accused of using his position as CEO to cover for the misconduct of people named in various investigations.[4][5] An open letter from Ubisoft employees also criticized him for his lackluster response to the scandal, which included moving accused managers to other departments rather than dismissing them, as well as a reluctance to implement necessary changes to improve the workplace culture.[6]

In 2021 the mighty has fallen, admitted his defeat and hired some HR women. All because of pressure from inside and outside. https://news.ubisoft.com/en-us/article/6eNE6mnqcXT2qWS2vFWpZV/a-year-of-change-at-ubisoft
In the end this new DEI hires in manager’s position allowed their French-Canadian(can it get worse than that?) developers to make their dream game: ever since Unity they’ve been trying to make a major Assassin’s Creed title with only woman as a PC, but was always forced to include a male option, so they changed tactics and gave players a tough choice between a nigger and a woman. It’s said that their next game in the series Hexe(or whatever) will include only woman as a PC, and would be about Salem witches.

But seeing there this DEI lead strategy has taken them Yves decides to return and make a statement, saying that they only want to make entertainment and not push some agenda; also mentioning that Ubisoft should make extraordinary games, to win their audiences back, solid games are not enough. Which was interpreted as an attack at players, but that he actually meant(translating from corpo-speak): J'en ai ras de cul? I’m easing your leash and you make a shit SW game and put a nigger in Japan? Fix this, putai’n!

ADL

Prophet
I'm baffled that Shattered Space didn't come with a bundle of points of interests for the base game. Every update they've put out so far should have included some but they're not doing it and I don't know why because it's such an easy win for them. Good thing modders are starting to figure out the procgen system so they're doing it themselves but modding requires enthusiasm and I can't imagine having enough enthusiasm to mod Starfield in its current state.

Bulo

Scholar
Give us blue hot aliens please, thank you.
If you want to know what a Bethesda space opera would be like, play Mass Effect: Andromeda, and then adjust your expectations accordingly. Also, they're charging thirty dollars for this game, the same as Phantom Liberty. That is beyond insulting. It's pure executive gall. These people deserve to lose everything but their lives

Bulo

Scholar
Lock them in sheds until they're starving and make them fight each other for bread that's too hard to eat

GentlemanCthulhu

Liturgist
But seeing there this DEI lead strategy has taken them Yves decides to return and make a statement, saying that they only want to make entertainment and not push some agenda; also mentioning that Ubisoft should make extraordinary games, to win their audiences back, solid games are not enough. Which was interpreted as an attack at players, but that he actually meant(translating from corpo-speak): J'en ai ras de cul? I’m easing your leash and you make a shit SW game and put a nigger in Japan? Fix this, putai’n!
I sincerely hope you end up being right, but all I read in your post is some narrative you've constructed in your head to cope with the fact that ubisoft has finally been exposed as ubishit. Many such cases among that company's fandom.

Orange Clock

Novice
I sincerely hope you end up being right, but all I read in your post is some narrative you've constructed in your head to cope with the fact that ubisoft has finally been exposed as ubishit. Many such cases among that company's fandom.
Well, they’ve always been a Ubishit, making junk food games to waste your time while watching some YouTube videoessay about How Battlespire was Bethesda magnum opus and everything went downhill after that. I guess I just don’t want Ubisoft to bankrupt or completely sellout to Tencent(cause tbf idk who else besides Ubi could release an autistic open-world game every year or two), but their current management leads them exactly to that outcome. I just hope Yves could fix it

Nifft Batuff

Prophet

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I can see how from his perspective it would have been incredible to see the game take shape, with so many different functional systems crammed in and such a huge worldspace to explore. The problem for players is that none of the systems interact with each other or click together so it's just a massive dose of pointless shit.
The same thin is happening in every release in AAA space and it's really mind boggling. It's like the entire industry went through some collective amnesia event and forgot the #1 rule that your game is only as good as your core gameplay loop. It doesn't matter how difficult and complex everything else is, if the core gameplay is shit, game is shit too.

The industry used to understand and execute on it perfectly, which is why even the worst AAA Ubishit/EA slop used to be at least playable. Lately though, it's like the knowledge how to make games just evaporated overnight.

Yosharian

Arcane
Renfail put out a video saying that everyone is just jumping on the bandwagon to criticise Shattered Space, because the main quest being completed in 5 hours isn't seeing all the content it has to offer.

I can't even with these fanboys

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Shitposter
Yeah definitely not a classic like Diablo 4 amirite?
I mean say what you want about Diablo 4 but it's probably better than anything Bethesda has made in the last 20 years. People actually seem to like Diablo 4. Lets compare:

versus

One is a piece of candy you find in your pocket and the other is a dog turd you stepped in.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom