Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Thread - Shattered Space expansion coming September 30th

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
yeah when I got Netflix I didn't understand what the hype was about, it was all shit and old movies. literally the bargain bin. never watched it but my ex binged that shit, no wonder she's my ex, no 2 brain cells to rub together like some of the shitposters in this tread. I hope they introduce a tutorial in the next update that takes these people by the hand and shows them step by step how to play the game because they just don't get it. This is what happens if you try to release Daggerfall to the masses in 2023.

Vic

Savant
Not even close, Vic... not even close.
I just wanted to post that video to show some cool stealth combat in starfield but it didn't allow me to do so without embedding the whole post, sheesh

even the reddit post itself is tongue in cheek, don't worry starfield's combat is far away from the immersive sim combat of dishonored, BUT we'll see how far mods can take it with the brand new Creation Engine 2™

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Having a lot of fun with the game. Runs great, looks pretty damn amazing even on medium detail, and im impressed with how fleshed out ship gameplay is. Couldnt care less about loading screens, takes seconds and every single Bethesda game had them.
This is excactly the game i was expecting, a Bethesda RPG set in space.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Very irritated with the dumb way importing and exporting cargo works. If you build a receiving platform on Alpha and shipping platforms on Beta and Gamma, the shipping lines can't both run to Alpha because only one shipper can ever have "dibs" on the receiving platform. I guess you can sit there and manually flip the switch every time you want a different ship to be able to land, but otherwise you literally need to build two landing pads if you want two shipping lines running at once. This is like so outrageously stupid it's threatening to break my addiction to this game.

Vic

Savant
I’ve been doing nothing but play starfield and post in this thread for 2 weeks so yeah my addiction with the game is starting to run low too

combat isn’t deep enough to keep me entertained much longer, game is severely lacking in set pieces and unique bonuses. It’s always the few handful bonuses on items.

all in all an improvement over fallout 4 and one that kept me entertained for over 100 hours.

Gargaune

Arcane
Starfield Updates and Mod Support – September 13, 2023

First, an enormous thank you to all of you playing Starfield and your support. We are absolutely blown away by the response and all you love about the game. We’re also reading all your great feedback on what you’d like to see improved or added to the game. This is a game we’ll be supporting for years and years to come, so please keep all the feedback coming! Even if we don’t get to your requests immediately, we’d love to do it in the future, like city maps. Our priority initially is making sure any top blocker bugs or stability issues are addressed, and adding quality-of-life features that many are asking for.

This first update is a small hotfix targeted at the few top issues were are seeing. After that, expect a regular interval of updates that have top community requested features including:
  • Brightness and Contrast controls
  • HDR Calibration Menu
  • FOV Slider
  • Nvidia DLSS Support (PC)
  • 32:9 Ultrawide Monitor Support (PC)
  • Eat button for food!
We’re also working closely with Nvidia, AMD, and Intel on driver support, and each update will include new stability and performance improvements.

Additionally, we are working on our built-in mod support (Creations) that will work across all platforms similar to what we’ve done with Skyrim and Fallout 4. This full support is planned to launch early next year. Until then, we know our PC community is already very active in the modding space and if you have any feedback on how we can make this better, please let us know . Modding and creating in our games will always be a vital and important part of who we are, and we love seeing the community get off to such a strong start.

Keep the feedback coming, we really do read it all, and thank you all again for taking this journey with us!

Bethesda Game Studios

NO MOD NO TODD! :argh: :argh: :argh:

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Very irritated with the dumb way importing and exporting cargo works
It's especially sad considering how easy it was in Fallout 4. Just assign one colonist to caravan and instantly have access to your entire resource stockpile. Starfield not only has 10x the number of basic resources but 30-odd different intermediate components that need to be crafted, while making each individual base far less productive in general. Jump through a dozen hoops just to have access to cheap parts you can buy plentifully in any random shop.

The whole system is so half baked and poorly thought out its either something that was overdesigned and later gutted, or a system that someone on the dev team was so dead set on including they refused to listen to critique.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Starfield Updates and Mod Support – September 13, 2023

First, an enormous thank you to all of you playing Starfield and your support. We are absolutely blown away by the response and all you love about the game. We’re also reading all your great feedback on what you’d like to see improved or added to the game. This is a game we’ll be supporting for years and years to come, so please keep all the feedback coming! Even if we don’t get to your requests immediately, we’d love to do it in the future, like city maps. Our priority initially is making sure any top blocker bugs or stability issues are addressed, and adding quality-of-life features that many are asking for.

This first update is a small hotfix targeted at the few top issues were are seeing. After that, expect a regular interval of updates that have top community requested features including:
  • Brightness and Contrast controls
  • HDR Calibration Menu
  • FOV Slider
  • Nvidia DLSS Support (PC)
  • 32:9 Ultrawide Monitor Support (PC)
  • Eat button for food!
We’re also working closely with Nvidia, AMD, and Intel on driver support, and each update will include new stability and performance improvements.

Additionally, we are working on our built-in mod support (Creations) that will work across all platforms similar to what we’ve done with Skyrim and Fallout 4. This full support is planned to launch early next year. Until then, we know our PC community is already very active in the modding space and if you have any feedback on how we can make this better, please let us know . Modding and creating in our games will always be a vital and important part of who we are, and we love seeing the community get off to such a strong start.
GMwCEfp.png

Robotigan

Learned
My hottest of hot takes is that Bethesda needs to stop worrying about characters and dialogue reactivity. That doesn't scale well with the open-ended structure they go for (and is kind of an overrated feature anyway). Just do what they did before. Have your quests and the choice is whether or not the player wants to complete it.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
My hottest of hot takes is that Bethesda needs to stop worrying about characters and dialogue reactivity. That doesn't scale well with the open-ended structure they go for (and is kind of an overrated feature anyway). Just do what they did before. Have your quests and the choice is whether or not the player wants to complete it.
Arcanum let you kill anyone and everyone and you could still complete the main quest, and many sidequests. The reactivity wasn't a hinderance, since they just built in many ways of completely the quest - notes, journals, clues on their person or even raising the dead.

It's more that Bethesda isn't very skilled and designs things lazily. Instead of building multiple ways to continue a quest with one dead NPC, they just make him invincible.

0wca

Learned
Arcanum let you kill anyone and everyone and you could still complete the main quest, and many sidequests. The reactivity wasn't a hinderance, since they just built in many ways of completely the quest - notes, journals, clues on their person or even raising the dead.

It's more that Bethesda isn't very skilled and designs things lazily. Instead of building multiple ways to continue a quest with one dead NPC, they just make him invincible.
It's amazing it took almost two decades for people to realize that.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy

Why do people keep saying "Bethesda"? This was done by Ranjid and Co.

The real question is why Bethesda would outsource such an important title to third world poogrammers but I suspect they simply knew their fan base would lap up anything.

Rhobar121

Scholar
XfbNyph.png

I just had to paste this to piss Vic off.
Both of these are journos being retarded
Possibly, but of the two, bg3 is better trash than starfield

Why do people keep saying "Bethesda"? This was done by Ranjid and Co.

The real question is why Bethesda would outsource such an important title to third world poogrammers but I suspect they simply knew their fan base would lap up anything.
I don't know why you assume that Bethesda programmers are any better. It is unlikely that asians would be responsible for anything other than graphic assets. In fact, western "programmers" are primarily responsible for the state of the game.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I don't know why you assume that Bethesda programmers are any better. It is unlikely that asians would be responsible for anything other than graphic assets. In fact, western "programmers" are primarily responsible for the state of the game.
Regardless of whose fault it is, when talking about Bethesda, I think "poogrammers" hits the nail on the head, tbf.

soulburner

Cipher
There are a few misconceptions about what an engine is and specifically what Creation Engine is.
It barely has anything to do with Netimmerse or Gamebryo. The only things that are left over from those code bases are most likely the most basic things that need not be changed because if you would, you'd simply rewrite them to do the same thing and most likely the code would even look the same, too. Half-Life: Alyx contains code dating back to Half-Life 1, which ported code from C to C++ dating back to Quake. I haven't looked, but I bet Unreal Engine 5.3 has elements which date back to the first Unreal release and which did not require an update over the years.

Everything we do not like about the Creation Engine is a Bethesda thing. Bugs dating back to Morrowind? That's on Bethesda, not the original engine authors.

Regarding the amount of loading screens I believe it has something to do with how scripting works in the engine. Moving between areas of New Atlantis by tram requires a load screen to update the scripts of NPCs and such. Sure, Bethesda could make an actually moving tram, but that's a different story. Some stores are behind a loading screen because they had to isolate them for some reason from the rest of the area, also most likely due to scripting and memory constraints. Make no mistake, games are developed with consoles in mind, no matter how much the PC release could be important to them. The current Xbox consoles have 16 GB of unified memory, where 10 GB is "fast" memory. Take a look at memory usage on the PC: the game rarely uses more than 6 GB of video memory, but also uses at least 5 GB of system RAM. That's over 10 GB total. If we reduce some textures and shaders sizes, it can be trimmed down a bit but not enough to allow for another store to exist in that particular cell and must be hidden behind a loading screen. Creation Engine 2 has a lot of I/O activity during gameplay so they already use a lot of streaming to make everything fit within their memory budget. Could they enhance streaming further to allow more areas to exist without a loading screen? Maybe, but it's easy for us to say when we don't have to write the code.

There's also another misconception about modding Bethesda games. People often say the studio develops many things half assed because "mods will fix it". This is not how it works, developers don't do that, even at Bethesda. The fact that we can have a completely overhauled inventory in the form of StarUI, we can change how dialog options look, fonts, change textures, effects, shaders and all the rest... is only a good thing. How often do we play games with a terrible UI and the game cannot be modded at all? People will say "well, the UI sucks, but it's a good game". In the case of a Bethesda release? "The UI sucks and we have to resort to modding, Bethesda sucks!". I have only praise for Bethesda's approach to modding and they are most likely aware this is what keeps their games alive (and selling) for so long... we still get mods for the original Doom or Quake and we still get mods for Morrowind. A lot of sales of such old games today are most likely happening because of the unlimited amount of user content out there.

FugueLah

Scholar
There are a few misconceptions about what an engine is and specifically what Creation Engine is.
It barely has anything to do with Netimmerse or Gamebryo. The only things that are left over from those code bases are most likely the most basic things that need not be changed because if you would, you'd simply rewrite them to do the same thing and most likely the code would even look the same, too. Half-Life: Alyx contains code dating back to Half-Life 1, which ported code from C to C++ dating back to Quake. I haven't looked, but I bet Unreal Engine 5.3 has elements which date back to the first Unreal release and which did not require an update over the years.

Everything we do not like about the Creation Engine is a Bethesda thing. Bugs dating back to Morrowind? That's on Bethesda, not the original engine authors.

Regarding the amount of loading screens I believe it has something to do with how scripting works in the engine. Moving between areas of New Atlantis by tram requires a load screen to update the scripts of NPCs and such. Sure, Bethesda could make an actually moving tram, but that's a different story. Some stores are behind a loading screen because they had to isolate them for some reason from the rest of the area, also most likely due to scripting and memory constraints. Make no mistake, games are developed with consoles in mind, no matter how much the PC release could be important to them. The current Xbox consoles have 16 GB of unified memory, where 10 GB is "fast" memory. Take a look at memory usage on the PC: the game rarely uses more than 6 GB of video memory, but also uses at least 5 GB of system RAM. That's over 10 GB total. If we reduce some textures and shaders sizes, it can be trimmed down a bit but not enough to allow for another store to exist in that particular cell and must be hidden behind a loading screen. Creation Engine 2 has a lot of I/O activity during gameplay so they already use a lot of streaming to make everything fit within their memory budget. Could they enhance streaming further to allow more areas to exist without a loading screen? Maybe, but it's easy for us to say when we don't have to write the code.

There's also another misconception about modding Bethesda games. People often say the studio develops many things half assed because "mods will fix it". This is not how it works, developers don't do that, even at Bethesda. The fact that we can have a completely overhauled inventory in the form of StarUI, we can change how dialog options look, fonts, change textures, effects, shaders and all the rest... is only a good thing. How often do we play games with a terrible UI and the game cannot be modded at all? People will say "well, the UI sucks, but it's a good game". In the case of a Bethesda release? "The UI sucks and we have to resort to modding, Bethesda sucks!". I have only praise for Bethesda's approach to modding and they are most likely aware this is what keeps their games alive (and selling) for so long... we still get mods for the original Doom or Quake and we still get mods for Morrowind. A lot of sales of such old games today are most likely happening because of the unlimited amount of user content out there.
I really don't understand what you are trying to say. All the recurring scuffed shit typical to Bethesda games for over 2 decades is due to unchanged aspects of the engine. The dead-eyed NPC dialogues are a perfect example. I don't even think they are penny-pinching at this point. Todd probably sees these Bethesda traits more like a brand now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom