Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Thread - Shattered Space expansion coming September 30th

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
let's be honest here, game has many flaws, it's typical bethesda jank, but it's their best jank yet.

many things to say about the game both good and bad, and the amounts of cope are just as funny as the fake news spread by the haters

truly an amazing launch :lol:

Ulysa

Scholar
If you don't like things like Alien, The Expanse, Battlestar Galactica gtfo here please go back to fucking a bear.
Fight me bro and thank u Todd.

Robotigan

Learned

This is what people like Lemming are trying to sell as "good AI".
I mean, this is why Bethesda was so adamant against ladders. Not because they were struggling with the rigging animation but because it screws up the AI. I'm not sure I can think of a game that features AI climbing ladders in combat sequences. Most games are pretty careful to place enemy AI in controlled environments so they can avoid these edge cases.

So you're saying that Bugthesda are retards that can't do ladders while other studios can? It is an interesting defense, but I don't think it's a good one.
You didn't even read past the second sentence.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I did. In most other games with ladders the developers had the AI jump off the ledges if they were close to the ground. Otherwise, they would take up shooting positions and not go down the ladder. So your defense is that Bugthesda is too incompetent with their AI and enemy placement.

Vic

Savant
I'm trying to check player count of Starfield on Steamcharts, but it keeps giving "internal server errors".
correct me if I'm misunderstanding you but you can see the current player count on the steam website without using 3rd party apps:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1716740

Web-capture-7-9-2023-8720-steamcommunity-com.jpg

To see the trend I usually go to steamdb

https://steamdb.info/app/1716740/charts/

Vic

Savant
For those who are further in the game, is it possible to get rid of Sarah Morgan and find another waifu?
absolutely, just progress the main quest a bit to get Andreja. But she is a goodie-two-shoes too, although a badass.

I heard that if you do the Crimson Fleet questline you can get some evil companions.

HarveyBirdman

Liturgist
Todd took a big risk and there's something worthwhile in the result. Give me a risk that only pans out halfway over a "safe product" any day of the week.
There was no risk, between Star Citizen, Elite: Dangerous, and No Man Sky there is a clear pattern established that Space Sims will always make mad fucking cash regardless of how underdeveloped/unsophisticated they are at release.
Don't be ridiculous. Bethesda could've released TES VI and it would've been the biggest game of the year by a full order of magnitude. Fallout 5 would've been a blockbuster too. There's obvious risk in an established studio pushing off its biggest titles to create something entirely new from scratch.
The more I learn, the more I think Starfield is (1) a disappointment upon release, but (2) will be a pretty good game after patching, DLC, and mods. The story and world building will never be salvageable (generic), but could become a neat rpg/space survival sim with enough quests to keep it interesting.

Bethesda clearly bit off more than it could chew. The project is ambitious at the macro level (huge space RPG, orbits calculated in real time, procedural generation out the wazoo, modular construction of things in any location), but seems flat to me at the micro level (aforementioned genericness and lacking features that should obviously be in the game, but didn't make the cut).

For the ambition, I dub Starfield :incline:.

Todd took a big risk and there's something worthwhile in the result. Give me a risk that only pans out halfway over a "safe product" any day of the week.

Not gonna buy it yet... but if they can transplant some of the cool new engine innovations into a universe I'm actually interested in, like TES or Fallout, then I'll be pleased. In the meantime, I have enough on my backlog to not need Starfield.
Todd, you're drunk, this is the Outer Wokes thread.
I can neither confirm nor deny that I thought this was the Starfield thread because I was drunk.

There was this film some years ago, called "Gravity" with Sandra Bullock, I really liked it, and was somewhat realistic too.
holy fucking fuck of the fucker of fucked fucks of fucking fuck. that's the movie where clooney loosens the grip and falls in space. only interstellar is LESS realistic than that crock of shit.

frajaq

Erudite
ok I gave this game another chance but uhhh its still too boring, I prefer more focused games rather than something trying to be everything like Starfield, call me when TES6 arrives

skaraher

Prophet

This is what people like Lemming are trying to sell as "good AI".
I mean, this is why Bethesda was so adamant against ladders. Not because they were struggling with the rigging animation but because it screws up the AI. I'm not sure I can think of a game that features AI climbing ladders in combat sequences. Most games are pretty careful to place enemy AI in controlled environments so they can avoid these edge cases.
Dark Souls had ladder that ennemy could use and managed just fine.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
all you morons are so quick to call the game shit is kind of hilarious

It just looks shit. I mean what kind of further amazing revelation would you get from actually engaging with the kind of gameplay that you've seen a million times before, only this time in an s-f dress?

It looks as dull as dishwater. I don't think I've seen a single screenshot or segment of gameplay that makes me think, "Wow, that looks like some really cool future art design, it fills me with a sense of wonder, my palms are sweating and I really want to inhabit this amazing virtual world for a spell."

I probably will give it a go at some point, when it's on sale, or after the 4th money-spinning re-issue is on sale, but nothing about what I've seen makes me eager to play it NAAOOOWWWW (unlike, say, the recent BG3, which looked like Keith Parkinson paintings come to life in all the screenshots and vids, plus I was familiar with and quite liked the DOS games).

The space combat is quite fun when unlock the thrusters and upgrade your ship. Makes me want a Wing Commander IV remaster from Nightdive.

Vic

Savant
The space combat is quite fun when unlock the thrusters and upgrade your ship. Makes me want a Wing Commander IV remaster from Nightdive.
another point that you have to invest some time in the game for it to get good

combat gets more fun too if you invest some skill points and find Powers.

just a PSA I read that you lose all your shit except levels when you do NG+ so don't hoard too much stuff in a new game.

Robotigan

Learned
I did. In most other games with ladders the developers had the AI jump off the ledges if they were close to the ground. Otherwise, they would take up shooting positions and not go down the ladder. So your defense is that Bugthesda is too incompetent with their AI and enemy placement.
I couldn't find a comparable example in my brief web search. It certainly seems like something developers don't want to deal with.

Vic

Savant
ladders are very rarely used in Starfield from what I've seen. that's more cherry picked stuff to make the game look bad. Only place I've seen a ladder is in enemy ships. in dungeons I don't think I've seen one yet. enemies also usually use their jetpack to go up and down levels

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom