Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Thread - now with Shattered Space horror expansion

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The game has been almost a year and the modding scene doesn't look healthy compared to how I remember Skyrim's community being in late 2012.
No idea about Starfield specifically, but to me it feels like modding in general is in decline. I don't know if it's the autists of yore growing old and the younger generation being less interested in modding, or maybe that the threshold to entry for gamedev is lower now so more potential modders are choosing to make their own games, or maybe I'm just not paying attention to the games where serious modding is happening. But I'm seeing a lot fewer mods for newer games than there used to be ten or fifteen years ago.

Lemming42

Arcane
It might just be a lack of easilly moddable popular games in recent years; back when Bethesda was on top of the world from 2002 - 2015 they were putting out a new hugely popular and simple-to-mod game every couple of years (including publishing New Vegas). The era also had plenty of other games that invited large-scale modding like Mount & Blade, Dragon Age, etc.

More recently it's hard to think of many games that fit that kind of bill - ones that are simultaneously popular, easy to mod, and feature game design that lends itself incredibly well to modding. Nexus' top games page claims that Cyberpunk, Baldur's Gate 3, and Stardew Valley are all popular for modding (though I get the impression that in Cyberpunk and BG3's case, it's a similar situation to Starfield - a lot of very minor cosmetic mods without any big overhauls).

abija

Prophet
No idea about Starfield specifically, but to me it feels like modding in general is in decline. I don't know if it's the autists of yore growing old and the younger generation being less interested in modding, or maybe that the threshold to entry for gamedev is lower now so more potential modders are choosing to make their own games, or maybe I'm just not paying attention to the games where serious modding is happening. But I'm seeing a lot fewer mods for newer games than there used to be ten or fifteen years ago.

Bit of each? Less interest because kids now have plenty of junk games to feed their dopamine. Lower treshold to create games or getting hired in the industry (dependin on game, modding might require a lot more knowledge/skill than either of those). A lot of companies trying their best to prevent modding.

My wild guess is ease of making your own thing instead of modding is biggest one.

Baron Tahn

Scholar
The game has been almost a year and the modding scene doesn't look healthy compared to how I remember Skyrim's community being in late 2012.
Huge amounts of effort for nearly no reward amidst ever increasing workloads and cost of living is probably responsible for that.

It was probably easier to mod back in the day as well, not sure how it goes with all the Unreal/Unity engine stuff - if a game doesnt come with a mod kit (that is worth a damn) it seems like a lot of people get locked out of anything that isnt retextures and the like.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
Is this real? Companions giving banter while driving? Driving looks surprisingly good for what I was expecting. I forgot about gravity.

So this will give us car mods now?

And racing minigames, right?

PlayerEmers

Educated
So this will give us car mods now?
I bet modding sites (and the creations club) will be flooded with cars/skins just like project zomboid steam workshop.
Also the other good thing i can think of this: they will have no good excuses to not include vehicles on the next fallout game. They finally worked on a decent vehicle system that can be reused on their next games.

ind33d

Learned

Supposed gameplay footage of the upcoming vehicles. Now you will get bored even faster exploring the same POIs with vehicles!

there should be skiffs or speeders or hovercraft. a jeep seems really weird considering the technological level starfield has. what is this, fucking far cry 2? still looks cool

Vic

Savant
considering the technological level starfield has.
It fits with the NASApunk aesthetic. Also I don't think the tech level is that high outside of House Va'ruun. Most of the non-Va'ruun weapons are ballistic after all.

And of course you still have shit like this :lol:

tfw-im-playing-starfield-and-i-find-these-three-weapons-v0-u4vnqwzv2wmb1.png

ind33d

Learned
It fits with the NASApunk aesthetic. Also I don't think the tech level is that high outside of House Va'ruun. Most of the non-Va'ruun weapons are ballistic after all.

i wonder if modders can make the vehicles modular just like the ships are

Vic

Savant
we basically know nothing except the leaks and a few official sneak peeks
Power Armor was moddable in FO4 so if they don't half-ass this I expect them to make the cars at least somewhat customizable. It would really suck if they weren't, considering that you can customize your space ship but not your car? That would really be something.

Baron Tahn

Scholar
Do we know if there is going to be any meaningful content in this dlc? Any word on what they are planning with the POIs and boring exploration?

the mole

Arbiter
Shitposter

every bandit drops an asval in the future, does that mean russia won?

Baron Tahn

Scholar
Do we know if there is going to be any meaningful content in this dlc?
Haven't you seen the trailer?
Ive seen very little from the game at all. I dont watch ads or many content creators very often anymore.

The general feeling from all the talk gives me the impression that I might get something out of this game, but POIs are lacking and content is uninspired, which fits the Bethesda MO.

Articles say big quest is coming (dgaf, its Bethesda) and then vaguely hand waves around everything else. 'New Locations' might be anything.

Vic

Savant
I dont watch ads or many content creators very often anymore.
Everything we know about the DLC is in the trailer so unless you want me to regurgitate that for you you should probably watch that instead if you want to know what's in it. Kind of a bizarre stance you have there but we are on the codex after all. Normies must not apply.

Baron Tahn

Scholar
Appreciate the understanding. I just used to work in advertising and it makes me cringe as I detect all the sales pitch and bullshit tactics that go into these things. The things that are omitted, the salesspeak, the fake excitement etc. I get more fun out of things when I have no spoilers, risky as that is.

Doesnt matter - one day Ill pick it up on sale if I have the time, cant really listen to you anyway as you are shilli- lets say 'over exuberant' haha.

ind33d

Learned
Appreciate the understanding. I just used to work in advertising and it makes me cringe as I detect all the sales pitch and bullshit tactics that go into these things. The things that are omitted, the salesspeak, the fake excitement etc. I get more fun out of things when I have no spoilers, risky as that is.

Doesnt matter - one day Ill pick it up on sale if I have the time, cant really listen to you anyway as you are shilli- lets say 'over exuberant' haha.
Actually, Starfield's problems are all due to bad advertising and PR. The memes of space Abos getting Fus-Ro-Dahed definitely killed whatever momentum this game should have had

ArchAngel

Arcane

every bandit drops an asval in the future, does that mean russia won?
Of course Russia wins. While Russians are becoming battle hardened veterans, the West are increasingly becoming useless faggots filled with islamists that hate them. If there is ever a conflict, those islamists are not going to join the military lol

ArchAngel

Arcane

Actually, Starfield's problems are all due to bad advertising and PR. The memes of space Abos getting Fus-Ro-Dahed definitely killed whatever momentum this game should have had
No the problem is shitty gameplay, mechanics, story, storytelling, characters, graphics and the rest.

Vic

Savant

No the problem is shitty gameplay, mechanics, story, storytelling, characters, graphics and the rest.
So business as usual for Bethesda.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom