Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Thread - Shattered Space expansion coming September 30th

Robotigan

Learned
I haven't done the main quest yet. I haven't even done any of the faction quests yet. I found a planet with low gravity and dense foliage and discovered you can ledge grab the trees and monkey around with your boost pack.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
gameplay is definitely good. It’s just the plain setting and diversity overload that’s bothering me. But I only started noticing this after I started doing the main quest.

Self-Ejected
gameplay is definitely good. It’s just the plain setting and diversity overload that’s bothering me. But I only started noticing this after I started doing the main quest.
I mean just because some random npc get spawned and of color? I didin't see all this pandering at all in the game. I mean people complain about that but they forgot the settlers on fallout4? People this days are just chimping out. If the game had not the pronoun thing nobody would had complained.

Vic

Savant
I mean just because some random npc get spawned and of color? I didin't see all this pandering at all in the game. I mean people complain about that but they forgot the settlers on fallout4? People this days are just chimping out. If the game had not the pronoun thing nobody would had complained.
no I mean how every story NPC is from a different part of the world. Just doing quests you see so many shades of color and hear so many accents it’s really annoying me.

compare this with skyrim where you have only a couple races, and most of them are nords.

Or fallout 4, where everybody is kind of similar.

And in both games you have several characters that are outliers and they become interesting and memorable.

The characters in Starfield are all a hodgepodge of diversity and not a single one stands out to me.

Vic

Savant
so now I'm getting randomly attacked by Dragonborn, kind of like with the dragons in Skyrim.

I built the Amarillo thing on my ship but I can't see it :(

Vic

Savant
Confirmed tranny sighting. This male NPC is actually a woman and talks with a "gay voice", her name is Zoey and the other female NPC says: "Wow I can't recognize you, isn't it going to confuse him?" She changed her appearance to look like a man.

Starfield-9-9-2023-5-31-18-PM.png

Starfield-9-9-2023-5-31-28-PM.png

So that means that EVERY NPC you talk in Starfield can be potentially a tranny given how easy it is to change genders in the game!

Levenmouth

Cipher
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I feel this way too. "Body type" instead of "sex" or "gender" is fucking stupid and fuck CDPR for bringing this cancer to video games.
Otherwise, NPCs look like regular Bethesda NPCs, and it does not seem out of place in a game set in the medium-far future.

The game has far more pertinent issues that are objectively bad, like endless loading screens, annoying inventory, shit performance while having pre-last gen lighting, etc.

Confirmed tranny sighting. This male NPC is actually a woman and talks with a "gay voice", her name is Zoey and the other female NPC says: "Wow I can't recognize you, isn't it going to confuse him?" She changed her appearance to look like a man.

I thought that was funny, and I bet SJWs are already outraged about it.

likash

Savant
Glory to Ukraine
metacritic user score is also starting to get positive after the initial review bombing

I still see the potential with a DLC like Skyrim’s vampire DLC which introduced vampires in the otherwise boring/generic setting.

A DLC which might introduce an evil alien race that is threatening to destroy the Settled Systems would be a big improvement imo.
It will stabilize around 7 and that's the fair grade.

dukeofwoodberry

Educated
I feel this way too. "Body type" instead of "sex" or "gender" is fucking stupid and fuck CDPR for bringing this cancer to video games.
Otherwise, NPCs look like regular Bethesda NPCs, and it does not seem out of place in a game set in the medium-far future.

The game has far more pertinent issues that are objectively bad, like endless loading screens, annoying inventory, shit performance while having pre-last gen lighting, etc.

I thought that was funny, and I bet SJWs are already outraged about it.

You think in the future blacks are going to be running things? With space travel? Have you seen their math and science scores?

I'm playing on a 2070 SUPER (and an overkill i9 CPU admittedly) with max graphics and I have no issues. So I'm confused why people with better rigs than mine are complaining about performance.
It ran like shit here when I installed on an HDD to test the minimum specs claim that it required a SSD. They were telling the truth, it became a slideshow during combat.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Anyone found any system that's particularly suited for base building? Are there any quests associated with outposts at all?

Quests? None as far as I know, then again I am fucking around rather than advancing the main quest for 3 days straight ever since I did "Empty Nest". I guess your reward is autism and maybe less walking to shops for raw minerals (although considering how much time I spent looking for prime spots...). Well ok, I think you can auto refuel and jump further if an outpost with He-3 is along the path (loading screen says so? or I saw it mentioned somewhere).

As for systems, well there's so much stuff to mine that it really depends which resources you want to prioritize besides the basic Aluminum, Iron and He-3 everyone gets first (they get used the most either for contruction or for power/interstellar logistics in he-3's case), in how many different outposts and finally if you are willing to autistically try to find a spot where biomes change to get 4+ different resources in one outpost (resources are tied to biomes and spawn evern outside their area shown on the global map if the biome is the same, but maybe less frequently and it takes a lot of tries with landing spots and walking to find the biome change boundary).

Most of the planetary systems containing a planet or moon with indigenous animal life will have the basic stuff needed to start colonizing: Aluminum, Iron, Helium-3 and (I guess, it's useful to have) Beryllium (mostly for solar panels, which you need at least to make sure the source of He-3 for generators delivers it to them and gets you more power). Even the starting lvl1 systems like Alpha Centauri have a few decent picks for mining outposts to start out.

After that Nickel, Copper, Tungsten and Titanium are the most useful. Also farming sealant (rubber-analogue? resin?) in greenhouses is a good idea, that gets used a lot but that requires plant scanning. It's up to you what combination you pick. I have to admit that by dumping so much choice on the player they really made sure that even if people do go for one of the "optimal" popular starting choices like Andaphron in Navion for Aluminum and Iron.

Cuiously enough water is actually quite pointless to look for because it seems you cannot farm crap in domes outside of it's native body (and need the plants scanned to 100%, and just some are cultivable), and life-bearing worlds always have atmospheric moisture anyway (so you can plane an outpost anywhere and windtrap it, regardless of biome) so there's not need to ship it unless you like cooking or maybe want to mass produce something that takes water as an input in the fabricator.

I personally have 2 outposts in Tau Ceiti for Aluminum, Berylium, He-3, Iron, Water and Tantalum and 2 planets for some organic materials cosmetics and something else (could have gotten more if I bothered looking for biome boundries) and two in Eta Cassiopeia (gaming the biome change to get Nickel, Copper, Cobalt, Tungsten, Uranium, Sealant from a greenhouse and maybe something else I forgot, but all the walking and multiple landings gave me PTSD). The latter has one particularly has a hellish location with very annoying predators especially those stalkers that look like giant headcrab ripoffs which take a shitload of bullets to die.

tl;dr Almost any system that has more than 3 bodies had the basics like aluminum, iron, helium-3 and some life-bearing body for greenhouses you can produce with 2 outposts maximum and no autistic looking for biome boundry landing locations. It's just up to you what combo of secondary resources you want, you'll anyway need to buy the rest as shit comes up as even storage containers for gas/liquid/rocks/manufactured goods use slightly different elements.

Last edited:

Mortmal

Arcane
It's not just the pronouns thing; everything in the beginning rubs the white male gamer the wrong way. You start by working under a woman boss, which is an unexciting start, to say the least. Then, the first companion you get is a "karen" quite bossy and nagging all the time, making her extremely antipathetic. The game also seems to push a puritanical and woke agenda, with many NPCs emphasizing their sexual orientations. Paradoxically, the character outfits are ultra-conservative and unsexy, most npc being quite ugly which is not what we are looking for either in our hobby and escapism. I'm also surprised by the limited choices available. So, it frontloads hamfisted woke elements in a puritanical setting. Strangely, there's not even much gore in the combat , the usual todd howard signature. We're experiencing both the worst aspects of woke culture and conservatism. I am not even mentioning the questionable design choices. I recently learned that in order to unlock everything, including all quests and planets, you have to rush through the main quest and play through New Game Plus at least 10 times.

Mortmal

Arcane
all valid criticisms guys but why can't I stop playing Starfield
What else would you do, Vic? There are very few space games available, and currently, there's absolutely nothing else worth playing once you've finished Baldur's Gate 3. Unfortunately, the gaming industry continues to disappoint, as usual. Interestingly, Star Citizen might eventually fill that void, and since no one else is attempting something of that scale, maybe it wasn't a complete scam after all but rather the only way to achieve it. Starfield does have some redeeming qualities, and if you can enjoy games like Sundog from 1985, parts of No Man's Sky, and some of Fallout 4, and you're not too picky on the shooting mechanics, then, despite its catastrophic PC performance, you might find some enjoyment in it. But it had the potential to be so much better with a few simple improvements.

dukeofwoodberry

Educated
Question for megs and others who don't see anything weird with the NPCs:

How are blacks going to go from being at the bottom of every metric: IQ, standardized test scores, educational achievement, economic metrics... to being the most prominent group in charge in within 300 years?

It is a fact that the vast majority of NPCs and quest givers running things in this game are black

Vic

Savant
if these motherfuckers cancel development on DLCs/updates on this because of bad reception this will be my biggets disappointment since Civilization: Beyond Earth

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom