Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Thread - Shattered Space expansion coming September 30th

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
How are blacks going to go from being at the bottom of every metric: IQ, standardized test scores, educational achievement, economic metrics... to being the most prominent group in charge in within 300 years?
stop trying to make it political you dumb motherfucker, infinitron will just move all these posts to retardo land.

you can discuss it in the woke thread if you want

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/list-of-woke-and-non-woke-roleplaying-games.147782/

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
Screenshot-2023-09-09-190526.jpg
How can a Star Citizen fan call anything else a scam with a straight face?

dukeofwoodberry

Educated
How are blacks going to go from being at the bottom of every metric: IQ, standardized test scores, educational achievement, economic metrics... to being the most prominent group in charge in within 300 years?
stop trying to make it political you dumb motherfucker, infinitron will just move all these posts to retardo land.

you can discuss it in the woke thread if you want

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/list-of-woke-and-non-woke-roleplaying-games.147782/
No ill keep posting what I want you toothpick arm bitch

Vic

Savant
But it had the potential to be so much better with a few simple improvements.
ok so it just released, there are still DLCs and updates planned, also mods. They always release broken pieces of junk and let modders fix it. I think this time there is a lot that can be done, given how many systems they crammed into it, but this remains to be seen.

I do have to say that they kept all the juicy story bits locked behind the main quest, I think there are 19 quests in the chain and it only starts to get interesting over half-way through imo. Well, unless you are like me and are hooked from the start on the game, but I'm also an autist and enjoyed mining rocks and scanning shit for 20 hours before even starting doing any quests.

FugueLah

Scholar
I'm a Starborn now bros. The narrative was good. Quests were linear. Some encounters were tuned to be somewhat challenging, but navigating the environments was mostly a matter of following the blue icon. A requiem-like mod would improve the game significantly, but the level design will always hold it back.
Also, collecting powers was a major decline over Skyrim. At least in Skyrim, you have to find and beat a unique dungeon. In Starfield, a dude tells you to go to a planet and then you look around for the temple and just grab the power.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Question for megs and others who don't see anything weird with the NPCs:

It is a fact that the vast majority of NPCs and quest givers running things in this game are black
Sheeeeit.
Obviously dey educamalated themselves!

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
LoL top tier level design,walking after some retard for 10 minutes while alt tabbing to write about how shit of a quest is it. I am yet to see a single quest in starshitter. Everything is fucking meaningless fetch quests,the last one i got was about going to another planet to buy a drink to some bitch and return it.....it is worst than fucking skyrim or oblivion.
xxEhoTU.png

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
:lol:

LoL top tier writing buahahahaha...some dumb miner bitch have lung cancer but doesn't want to go to the doc because her dad is the CIO of the corp or some such shit. Because he is evil dude and he will find her.....

v1XeaHI.png

ZywkCWk.png

Pr2emD2.png

Clearly an evil white male!!!! I should find him and blow him up.....buahahahahha.

Ashen_Shugar

Literate
Mini spoiler review from me. 7.5/10.

*SNIP*

Graphics/aesthetics: Starfield is actually not a bad looking game, overall. The worst part of the entire deal for me, were definitely the character models and animations. They are very poorly done, and the creation engine really shows it age. It is super terribad? No, but it's enough to break he immersion for me when talking to people.

Enemy variety is VERY bad, however, I felt I always fought generic "SPACER" nr. 500, or the terrormorph or some form of that. The game needed alot more enemy variety to make it interesting in combat. You get bored of the combat quite quickly.

*SNIP*

The performance of the game is TERRIBLE. It didn't even launch with DLSS, and even with DLSS on lower systems, the game runs just "okay". If you have to rely on mods to make your game run ok, something is wrong.

Conclusion: Starfield is actually a decent game, a fun game. It has some really high highs, but also some really terrible lows for me personally.

So why only the 7.5 score? Well, for me, a big singleplayer story driven RPG, needs to hit a homerun in that department if you want 8.5-9-10 scores, on top of having top notch combat, top notch UI, visuals and everything else. Starfield doesnt have that, but comes close in different areas.

If you enjoy Bethesda type games like Skyrim, morrowwind, and whatever, fallout 4 I guess, I can understand why you would perhaps rate the game higher at like an 8/10 or even 9/10, but that's still not really objective in my opinion.

The game looks worse than games that were released over 8 years ago. I struggle to understand how that is possible for a major AAA release in 2023.
The enemy variety issue is a typical failing of most Bethesda titles (Skyrim's endless dungeons with different flavours of Draugr anyone?). Combat has also always been a big failing of Bethesda's (hack/slash/block of Skyrim repeat ad nauseam). The only thing kept the combat tolerable in Fallout 3 was the implementation of the VATS system, otherwise really only a mediocre FPS. TBH and showing my age here its all been decline for Bethesda since the release of Arena way back in 1994.

Ancient76

Literate
My small and quick modification!
Btw, someone should make npc mod like this, with his head and these eyes, to wander in the nothingness of Starfield!
I could do it, but i don't have time.

8nC3a5L.png

dukeofwoodberry

Educated
Shooters aren't fun in single player bottom line. The only way to make them fun are crazy bullet hell shenanigans ala doom. But a shooter in single player is vastly inferior to pvp. In 2023 if you want to play a shooter, play pvp. They should really stop making FPS rpgs. They suck.

Not to mention you don't properly feel character building and the impacts of skills, perks, feats, ect in a shooter compared to strategic combat systems. FPS and Shooters just don't mesh well. There are no great games that are both

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Are there any mods allowing customization of spawning NPCs?I know there is a mod that removes blacks, but it's not exactly what I'm looking for. I want everybody to be a Pajeet.

Ashen_Shugar

Literate
There are no other games like Bethesda games. They are unique and nobody ever either managed or even tried to emulate them.

Everyone who claims Bethesda games are not unique should immediately post a list of other games which achieve this level of interactivity, vastness of world, number of quests (which are quite good in Starfield, BTW, not Fallout 4 level of idiocy), economy, crafting, dialog options, C&C (even if often cosmetic or poorly written) and so on.

Starfield is far from a perfect game but it has no competition from other studios. We never got a Skyrim killer, an Oblivion killer nor a Fallout killer. Pretty much the only game that could ever compete with BSG releases was Obsidian's New Vegas... and it was an overgrown DLC for Fallout 3 which used their despised Creation Engine... which might actually be the X factor of BSG's uniqueness and lack of competitors.

The Witcher 3 is head and shoulders better than any Skyrim, Oblivion, Fallout? In what world are any of these games better than The Witcher 3? Story, crafting, vastness of world, economy, dialog, story etc? Feel free to elaborate...

Vic

Savant
The Witcher 3 is head and shoulders better than any Skyrim, Oblivion, Fallout?
witcher lacks the depth of the world simulation, can't pickup objects, you won't find much interesting while exploring, the world is like a set piece where everything is hand placed by the developers. also much more linear.

bethesda games are more free form, there is random, unexpected shit happening, and lots of little things to discover.

dungeons are also completely different. doing dungeons in beth games means going slowly and looking at everything around you because there is always some hidden loot

obviously witcher combat is limited too because you have a set and voiced protagonist

personally I tried to beat witcher 3, three times now and the furthest I got is to skellige because I find everything so boring. with bethesda games I just get hooked and play them for hours.

these games are totally different.

ind33d

Learned
people are saying starfield is at its best doing cargo delivery quests like Death Stranding. as long as the gameplay is good modders can fix whatever dumb bullshit bethesda shipped with the game

Vic

Savant
people are saying starfield is at its best doing cargo delivery quests like Death Stranding. as long as the gameplay is good modders can fix whatever dumb bullshit bethesda shipped with the game
No SF is at its best rushing the main quest and then doing NG+

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom