Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Thread - Shattered Space expansion coming September 30th

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
l gamers just play games and dont care about politics

Politics can make things better in some cases. For example, Bioshock 1 is a harsh criticism towards my ideology(libertarianism) but the game is amazing, the athmosphere, lore and gameplay amazing, so that is what matters.

Games and politics intersect in 3 ways
a) The game itself engages with political themes in thoughtful ways
They tend to explicitly deal either with political themes, or inter-faction politics as a matter of course.
I'd wager Bioshock would probably fall here, but I've never played.

b) Apolitical games that have larger a political context around it
These are games that don't actively try to engage with politics or touch it.
But they're a reflection of the time, the place, and the culture around it.
For example, the developer might've sent you off to a beach to "swim and collect coconuts and have fun" with no deeper thought behind it.
To the "personal = political" retards, this will be some metaphor about trading slaves at a wharf or something else equally mad.

c) Blatant propaganda
I don't have a very good definition, but anything related to ESG, DIE, and the pedo-cult that has subsumed LGBT advocacy absolutely fit this bill.
Any BUT THE CURRENT YEAR nonsense does too.

The "Baizuo" as you call them, cannot differentiate between an A (e.g. Fallout 1, Skyrim), a B (e.g. Tetris, Super Mario), nor a C (e.g. Saints Row Reboot).
They intentionally obfuscate and will not acknowledge that people cannot stand C.

I'll leave it at that before Infinishill moves this post to the gamergate thread.

Last edited:

911 Jumper

Learned
(Sorry not ignoring replies – I don't have access to Reactions at the moment ,so can't React).
But anyway, apparently Ray Gun built his career on initially being anti-SJW, then he dated a feminist, and changed his views.
His response is an example of the “I don't care/ it doesn't affect me/ it's no big deal” mentality that is rife across the West, particularly among Gen Z males.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If he truly didn't care he wouldn't respond to it. Which makes me think he is on the side of progressives.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
What's the necessity of spaceships and space combat if you can fast-travel everywhere?
It's especially wonky because the game lets you fast travel from outside your ship all the way to another planet or landing spot, but if you BOARD your ship and try to fast travel it will say you can't, you gotta sit through the take-off, grav-jump, and cruise animation sequences. So you're incentivized to avoid space essentially at all costs.

ind33d

Learned
Apparently when the Catholics removed all the Russians from Starfield they forgot to edit the ingame paintings. Someone said you can still piece together some of the original lore based on background objects

kangaxx

Arbiter

It's a MASTERPIECE!!
Soy-face.webp

These people look like they want to be bullied.

kroki

Literate
shares my opinion: proffesional. doesnt share my opinion: biased, hater. that whole tweet just reeks of overwhelming garlic stench too

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
The game is pretty fun in the standard disjointed 'nothing really makes sense so don't think about it too hard' Bethesda way, highlight so far is being kidnapped by the navy and asked to infiltrate bloodthirsty space pirates because I stole a random vase. If they hadn't overpromised so much I don't think people would be as angry, but I guess that's just standard Bethesda behaviour at this point, you have to run everything they say through a reality filter to avoid getting disappointed

racofer

Thread Incliner
I find it surprising how nobody mentions the terrible performance of this game packing 2013 graphics. How are people ok with that? Is everyone running a 4090 @ 1080p these days?

CP77 runs better ffs!

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I find it surprising how nobody mentions the terrible performance of this game packing 2013 graphics. How are people ok with that? Is everyone running a 4090 @ 1080p these days?

CP77 runs better ffs!

Daniel Owen and Vex have been talking about it.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Jumping between the maps in an attempt to find the interest point and fast travel to it is maddening, especially when the thing you are traveling to is somewhere in orbit.

Last edited:
Vatnik Wumao
Starfield is not about Space itself, Space is just there to help the narrative. To compare it to sci-fi books it would definitely be most like The Expanse.
It's less The Expanse and more Firefly (destroyed Earth, independentists vs centralists right down to the aesthetics and general characterization of the FSC and the UC respectively). The Expanse influences mostly extend to Cydonians paralelling Belters in terms of an underclass faction toiling in harsh environments I guess, but that's too generic of a thing to be necessarily taken from the Expanse.

Gargaune

Arcane
It is possible though i think if the rendering side is the CPU hog, a more likely culprit is their new approach to modular meshes - something their own graphics programmers apparently warned them against (according to a GDC presentation about it in Fallout 4, though those who came up with the idea softened it by saying that the graphics programmers weren't happy when someone from the audience asked them if this didn't had performance implications :-P).
I just watched some of the video... No wall meshes are batched. (part where they're like the old method was 6 objects the new method is 126 its clearly better DERP - what the hell are they thinking)
What the fuck! lol You should be combining meshes - they don't have to be dynamic, MERGE THAT SHIT DAMN IT lol.
Is that precombines you guys are talking about? Could it be due to procgen areas or maybe they were planning destructible environments at some point? 'Cause otherwise it seems strange, I'm not too familiar with the CK, but I'm pretty sure generating precombines was an automated process.

Considering no modding yet, probably most people looking to try this officially will buy it from gamepass
Yeah, I really wanna pick this up and see what all the fuss is about for myself, but at the same time I kinda don't wanna really play it until the CK is out. I think back to Fallout 4 and how, okay, I had fun with it playing at release, but if I'd waited at least a few more months, I'd have had a lot more fun.

Having a passion for videogames is really degenerating into an abusive sort of relationship. At the AAA level, the fucking things take five, six, seven years to develop and they come out broken and under-featured, in dire need of both patches and mods. Then you've got the post-launch monetisation, meaning a DLC/expansion cycle that'll take another year or two, which also hampers the mod scene with constant breakage. If you wanna get the best out of a game, you're not just buying licensing the bloody thing and smacking on a handful of patches and mods, you're signing on for a multi-year sysadmin position.

For Bethesda, it's not a surprise, it's been their MO for donkey's years, but it increasingly seems to be the case for single-player AAA RPGs in general. Like Cyberpunk, three years of irregular patching, missing mod tools spawned about a dozen different community base frameworks, now a big expansion and systems overhaul which will again break everything, plus the inevitable patches that are still to follow - you'll be much better off playing it in 2024 than having bothered before. BG3's pretty much the same, three years of early access, comes out limping with mod tools "coming soon", patches, hotfixes, mods will might fix it eventually, and other mods might fix the broken mods that get abandoned by the time the product lifecycle's done.

It's just tiring, really. A friend of mine only buys games once the inevitable GOTY editions come out and I'm starting to think he's got the right idea. Probably good savings on the hardware side, too.

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
It's just tiring, really. A friend of mine only buys games once the inevitable GOTY editions come out and I'm starting to think he's got the right idea. Probably good savings on the hardware side, too.
The only reason I play games on release anymore is so I can participate in the codex thread before it dies. Maybe I need to change my ways. :cry:Starfield feels like it needs a year or two of work for sure.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom