Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starpoint Gemini 2

SerratedBiz

Arcane
The thread is about Starpoint Gemini 2, even if the damn editor won't let me post more than one letter on the thread title.

Searched for it, only found information regarding the first one (which seemed to be shitty). The second game is on Early Access in Steam and I was wondering if any bros had played it that could give their impressions. Looks kinda like Freelancer but I won't shell out jewbucks for yet another subpar attempt.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Starpoint Gemini/2 are not space simulators, they're misery simulators—and incredibly realistic misery simulators, at that.

Misconnected

Savant
Seems like Freelancer meets Space Rangers but it's still way too early to tell.

I haven't played the second one, but it's supposed to be a More Of The Same sequel, so no. Not very much like either of those games. If you know the Star Wolves games, it's somewhat similar to those, though mostly in terms of presentation. SG is a mission-based strategy RPG in Spaaace! Where you control a single ship and upgrade your lasers instead of, say, play a wizard & upgrade fireballs. It's sandbox'y in the same sense that a TES game is: you advance the plot by doing certain missions, but you're mostly free to roam and do a not terribly great variety of not terribly interesting things in-between plot missions.
To call what the game has a difficulty curve is misleading. It's more of a keep-'em-guessing zig-zag of occasional inevitable doom. This is not entirely because of a parade of non-critical bugs & glitches that do things like simultaneously spawn every enemy wave in a mission on top of a mission critical target, and spawn you where one of the enemy waves were supposed to come from. But bugs like that certainly help screw with the difficulty. Worse, though, is that the game has a metric ton of mindless filler combat that won't tax you in any conceivable sense. Well, except maybe your patience.
The setting is reasonably well realised and deeper than it had to be, which is nice. Even if it sometimes gets lost in word salad.

Where SG is similar to Space Rangers, are the VOs and the gibberish. The quality of the dialogue (which there's tonnes of) is mostly passable, but in a few places clearly done by Babelfish. The VOs - all the VOs - are done by stars of the same calibre as the guy who VO'd SR2's intro. To some people this is deeply off-putting, and I guess I can't blame those people. Personally I find it oddly charming and often hilarious. And unlike in SR2 where the gibberish really did make a few things a guessing game, SG1 is never so bad that it doesn't get the critical stuff across.

SG2 seems like it might be pretty decently polished, and the devs have clearly been listening to the players so far. So... Whenever I get around to it - and I will - I expect it to be a far better game.

It should be possible to get SG1 for cheapsies these days, though, so if you're curious I'd throw 5$ at that and consider it a prototype kind of experience of what to expect from SG2.

doggfookker

Educated
I got high and bought it a few months ago. It seems to have potential. I haven't played it in a month or so.

So far there's not really much to do in the game. There are little freelance missions to go kill someone or mine some ore or something, and they kind of reminded me of the generic missions in X3, but somehow managed to be more boring.

Flying around and shooting shit was pretty solid. If the missions were improved and if the plot missions end up cool, it could turn out good. It certainly wasn't awful.

It had very minimal voice acting for your crew--or maybe your computer, I don't know, it was just one woman's voice--and it was decent enough.

DraQ

Arcane
I like to show u the game im all in now... Starpoint Gemini 2

Its still in early access, but i can i say it has grown on me. Finaly a nice space sim with RPG elements, upgrading your abilities, your ship/s (there is like 70 of them u can get) from gunners to big carrier class. A lot of stuff to do in a realy big universe that has no loading between sectors. U can trade, try some pirating, mining, or just usual "lats try to kill the one there :)".

A space sim Rpg with open sandbox universe, I hope ull like it as i did, and am still liking it :)

www.starpointgemini.com

http://www.incgamers.com/2014/04/starpoint-gemini-2-early-access-preview

Some nice videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3y0ON9hVciY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIofcY9sAw8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yO1tfN5xtgM
So, how's your plastids lately, bro?
Enjoying the sun?

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
So... the camera is in the wrong position behind the ship? My ship is at the bottom of the screen which makes it feel like I'm playing Doom and the ship is my gun. Which seems... odd.

Graphics are nice. IMAH FIRING MAH LAZERS PEW PEW PEW

Intro was something about war, war never changing.

WhiteGuts

Arcane
What kind of RPG ELEMENTZ does this game have though ? What about factions ?

Missions sound like they could be repetitive and boring.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Darth Roxor enlighten us please

Big spehs to check, lots of shit to do, helluva lot of kkkustomization for muthaship, many factions + dynamically changing reputations with them, random encounters, etc

wait for gaemzcom report articru for full enlightenment.

DefJam101

Arcane
I played this back when it released on early access. Felt like a Space Rangers game with action-y combat, though very few of the high level gameplay features (missions, storyline, trade, factions) were implemented. That was almost a year ago, though.

It certainly didn't feel like a bad platform for a game. I'll load it up later tonight and see how things have progressed.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
many factions + dynamically changing reputations with them
there is just one reputation value. the difference is that each faction has different thresholds for being hostile/neutral/friendly, but it's still just one reputation. it's not possible to be all friendly with one of the good guys factions and friendly with one of the criminal factions even when they don't oppose each other.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'm curious too. I'm quite sceptical of a new game at 20% off, but the reviews make it seem great. Maybe this could take my mind off the disappointment with the godawful fucking abortion that was X Stillbirth.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
There is a lets play on youtube. (they play beta)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom