Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter STASIS 2: BONE TOTEM - new isometric adventure in Stasis universe set in deep sea installation

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's nice that you're exploring very different environments in each of your releases. It would be easy to get pigeonholed in the "space horror" genre, for example. Granted there's a lot of crossover between deep space / deep ocean (claustrophobia, "out there" can kill you in an instant), but there's also a lot of unique themes and visuals. BD in-between is a total palette cleanser.

Any thoughts for environment on the *next* game?

Waaaaaaaaaaaaay too many ideas for the next game. :D I've always wanted to do something Cyberpunk'y - but it seems that that genre is a little saturated now. Harder to stand out. I would be interested in seeing if we could do something high fantasy - cos its not really a genre I 'enjoy' - so I'm not married to any of the tropes.
I've been on a bit of a Dieselpunk kick lately - more the asthetic than anything narrative. Yeah man... just so many things I'd love to explore. Ultimately I do think our games take too long to make. I'd love to get it down to 18 months!
How about barbarians?

agris

Arcane
Patron
It's nice that you're exploring very different environments in each of your releases. It would be easy to get pigeonholed in the "space horror" genre, for example. Granted there's a lot of crossover between deep space / deep ocean (claustrophobia, "out there" can kill you in an instant), but there's also a lot of unique themes and visuals. BD in-between is a total palette cleanser.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaay too many ideas for the next game. :D I've always wanted to do something Cyberpunk'y - but it seems that that genre is a little saturated now. Harder to stand out. I would be interested in seeing if we could do something high fantasy - cos its not really a genre I 'enjoy' - so I'm not married to any of the tropes.
I've been on a bit of a Dieselpunk kick lately - more the asthetic than anything narrative. Yeah man... just so many things I'd love to explore. Ultimately I do think our games take too long to make. I'd love to get it down to 18 months!
True cyberpunk in the noir tradition of OG Bladerunner, Gibson or even something more pulp like Miller's Hard Boiled would be a pretty stand-out look; toss in a heavy dose of Kowloon city vibes and I think you'd have a winner.

Cyberpunk as it exists in the mainstream consciousness is just a saturated neon palette combined with futurism (i.e. modern Bladerunner, Cyberdong 2077, etc). I think the big outfits worry that a more depressing, truly cyberpunk aesthetic would not sell well so it gets cartoon-ified.

Similarly, a brutal take on fantasy could be refreshing. Where life has no meaning because death is omnipresent. I don't know if you envision magic in that kind of setting, but magic being anything short of extremely rare would have profound societal impact, you could lean into the dystopian or life-devaluing impact. Exceedingly rare magic used by a cabal to maintain a grip on power is probably more threadbare at this point.

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer

How about barbarians?

It would be really fun and challenging to mix some sort of cosmic horror with Barbarians/Romans.

There is a series of books called No Man's World about a Brigade of World War 1 soldiers who get transported to an alien planet. Essentually they are humans with this 'high technolofy' Sopwith Camel, gun powder, and an tank. I love that sort of genre bending mashup. (Its an excellent series as well - highly recomended if you can find a copy!)

Similarly, a brutal take on fantasy could be refreshing. Where life has no meaning because death is omnipresent. I don't know if you envision magic in that kind of setting, but magic being anything short of extremely rare would have profound societal impact, you could lean into the dystopian or life-devaluing impact. Exceedingly rare magic used by a cabal to maintain a grip on power is probably more threadbare at this point.

Yeah - a high fantasy 'hard' take would be really fun to explore.

Or mix the idea of a cyberpunk world with a post apocalyptic one - what happens when most of humanity are augmented to survive, and there is no electricity or way to maintain those augmentations. Having your body falling apart because you can't plug yourself in, or being stuck inside a brain that will always be 'alive', but unable to move. Lots of 'a fate worse than death' scenarios to come up with.

Honestly at the end of the day it all comes down to the type of game we make. If Bone Totem is super successful, it would give us a little wiggle room to explore other genres and settings that are further removed from our core stuff. I can't see us moving away from 2D as a base to work from - and I just love isometric art. But expanding out of the niche of adventure games could be exciting.
I think that we will always make very 'world' centered games. I love world building - so no matter what we did, that would be a BIG part of it!

Last edited:

agris

Arcane
Patron
Cosmic horror / the unknown mixed with Egyptian symbolism and archaeology would be interesting. Set in WW1 around Egypt and you get a pretty unique mixture of elements.

edit: would love to see you team up with a small group and make a hardcore tactics RPG one day. A man can dream..

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
There is a series of books called No Man's World about a Brigade of World War 1 soldiers who get transported to an alien planet. Essentually they are humans with this 'high technolofy' Sopwith Camel, gun powder, and an tank. I love that sort of genre bending mashup. (Its an excellent series as well - highly recomended if you can find a copy!)
Sounds like Poul Anderson's High crusade but with trenchboys rather than Deus Vulters.

lightbane

Arcane
The trailer looks awesome! It's me, or did the HUd get a redesign? Hopefully this won't take 2 years or more to release.

Also, make a Crusader-style game already, you know you want to! You even have the ultra-violence aspect taken care of.

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
The trailer looks awesome! It's me, or did the HUd get a redesign? Hopefully this won't take 2 years or more to release.

Also, make a Crusader-style game already, you know you want to! You even have the ultra-violence aspect taken care of.

We are on track for this year - but man... the world just seems so unpredictable at the moment! But it won't be 'much' longer - Promise!

We are always fine tuning the HUD. Originally the UI design was much more 'vector art/AAA'ish' in its design - but we decided to go to something more skeuomorphic. Honestly, skeuomorphic designs are WAY harder to impliment (esspecially when it comes to things like scaling) - but I think it gives things a little more personality. We've also added things that Stasis didn't have - such as a full log system, tracker to check what your objectives are, and a map so you can see where characters are in relation to each other. The log also keeps all the clues you'll find for easy reference when playing.

It's also all been designed to work with gamepads natively - so any 'port' to console will be as faithful to the mouse version as possible.

lightbane

Arcane
We've also added things that Stasis didn't have - such as a full log system, tracker to check what your objectives are, and a map so you can see where characters are in relation to each other. The log also keeps all the clues you'll find for easy reference when playing.
Does that include a proper ending that is not grimdark drivel, one that makes the whole game feel pointless?

:troll:

I would settle with a bittersweet one, it would be an improvement compared to your previous titles.

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
ss_396ae28be0d2b8139e8c63acf534f9cacd98c5a5.1920x1080.jpg

ss_edefffe1be71e8f61862f1e51c79a5dec526cfe6.1920x1080.jpg
ss_d3e32a41a3af1092e41d9c3963d0bc25138ed28a.1920x1080.jpg
ss_1046c08e5dd62595a34e3e77d1b86ceb70bc1754.1920x1080.jpg
ss_d1375c804601965db02a200ddf340f398ec82c3e.1920x1080.jpg
ss_6637bf094e43d2f8489acebd2cc65cdf56d09f5f.1920x1080.jpg
ss_2a77726e53e8a7634f3e89a77f05e28a5b48e669.1920x1080.jpg

lightbane

Arcane
The gross, bio-horror themed puzzles are back!
Hopefully we won't have our poor protagonists operate themselves stuck into a hellish machine, without anesthetics.
Again.

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
You and me both man. You and me both.

We will have a Steamfest demo. Its basically the original demo - but with all the new UI stuff and updated puzzles.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Pyke Your games look absolutely GORGEOUS (as always)!! And the music in that trailer really gives off a menacing vibe that sets the tone immediately. Feels very cinematic and hope similar "mood" music is used at the right times throughout the adventure. Well done sir!! :salute:

Oh yeah, and please tell me you'll do a physical release... (or I'll have to call up my European friend to make me a box!)

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
Pyke Your games look absolutely GORGEOUS (as always)!! And the music in that trailer really gives off a menacing vibe that sets the tone immediately. Feels very cinematic and hope similar "mood" music is used at the right times throughout the adventure. Well done sir!! :salute:

Oh yeah, and please tell me you'll do a physical release... (or I'll have to call up my European friend to make me a box!)

Mark Morgans score is gonna blow you away then. He did SUCH a good job. Its so wierd and unique and 'off putting'.

We've also designed a VERY cool music mixing system that seamlessly blends between each of the 3 characters and their environments. So each character has a 'theme' that blends with the environment they are in, and when you switch characters it mixes into the newer areas seamlessly. Its taken a ton of work, cos each track actually has to be done with 4 separate layers that have to sound 'right' no matter what configuration they are in... but, it means that we can still have each environment have its own unique flavour of music, but it doesnt sound jarring when you switch. Essentially the player is mixing the soundtrack live as they play the game.

Dead Space did a similar thing with their vacinity based 'fear emitters' - which added additional layers of sounds to the music depending on how close you were to a certain area. We are doing a super stripped down version of that.

We don't have plans for a physical release at the moment - sometimes the distributors in areas will do them. If it does happen - it won't happen at release.

lightbane

Arcane
Tried the demo. Looks like a blatant excuse to make me preorder the game, and I'm almost tempted.
The art style had some changes, now the girl looks almost feminist-tier ugly with these glasses, and I miss some of the images that accompanied the descriptions. The puzzles have been changed, which means I'm stuck again.

I got a clip that I straightened into a bar but... I'm not sure what to do next. Break the mirror? I don't know if I'm clicking on the right spot or what, there's little feedback if I'm doing something right or wrong.
The videos still lack subtitutles and some of the options' description have weird text upon highlighting them.

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
Tried the demo. Looks like a blatant excuse to make me preorder the game, and I'm almost tempted.
The art style had some changes, now the girl looks almost feminist-tier ugly with these glasses, and I miss some of the images that accompanied the descriptions. The puzzles have been changed, which means I'm stuck again.

I got a clip that I straightened into a bar but... I'm not sure what to do next. Break the mirror? I don't know if I'm clicking on the right spot or what, there's little feedback if I'm doing something right or wrong.
The videos still lack subtitutles and some of the options' description have weird text upon highlighting them.

Use the straightened bar to bend the metal off the lock by Mac to get into the generator room :)

In terms of feedback - we have a hint system that will come in the final game that is dialog driven (ie - the other characters will give you hints about what to do) - but because we don't have final writing or VO we just stuck with the original recordings for the demo.

Can you post a screenshot about the wierd text highlights? Or (probaby better!) - we have a bug discord channel where people are posting feedback - it would really help!

https://www.thebrotherhoodgames.com/studio/discord

lightbane

Arcane
That solution was for the old demo, in this new one there's no lock that I've seen so far, only a junction box where I got the broken thing, and the bar.

I have pics for the bugs, I'll see if I can upload them somehow, I dislike Discord but I'll see what I can do.

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
Ah - You need to open the garage door.

Pull on the chain to open it. You can then go back to the junction box, and remove the sparking controller. Controlling Charlie now, combine the control unit with the spark plug (taken from the battery charger) - and replace it back into the junction box. This will open the garage door.

You can email any bug stuff to studio@thebrotherhoodgames.com as well!

agris

Arcane
Patron
You can email any bug stuff to studio@thebrotherhoodgames.com as well!

Hey man, a few oddities with resolution handling. For win10 multi-monitor setup with no DPI scaling (aka scaling is 100%), the game launched in the lowest possible resolution rather than desktop/native. No problem, but FYI. Also the options of "Fullscreen, Windowed, Borderless" seem to a bit off. The Fullscreen option behaves like borderless while Borderless behaves like fullscreen. When set to fullscreen, you can move the mouse to a secondary monitor and interact with it without the game minimizing, while setting the game to borderless and doing the same causes the game to minimize.

The amount of options are good so far, but a few suggestions: give us some granularity in the bloom options between ON/OFF, like OFF/25/50/75/FULL or something. Also, please consider an option to lock the cursor to the game window for those of us playing borderless with multiple monitors. It's easy to pan the mouse out of the game window.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom